Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Uber from KLIA

Uber from KLIA

Old Apr 3, 17, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Uber from KLIA

Was able to get a fare estimate before leaving KTM for uber KLIA to Hyatt. On arrival, lots of Uber ads. However, I was not able to request a ride. First efforts took me to my last ride. But further efforts funneled down to a world map. Logged out/in. So $85 taxi after protesting $118 (prestige v budget). At the Hyatt my app miraculously sprang to life. $20 back to airport today. I thought the app was working when I tried it as it asked for destination, but red bar cropped up "cannot connect to the Uber network". Tried again and back to the dead end map.
Anybody know what's going on? Has Uber been blocked? Pilot error? Any work around?The Uber ride was much more comfortable (he had shocks) for 25% the cost.
Also, if any suggestions for better place (site) to post this, I'll oblige. I won't be back any time soon, but there are many who might be affected.
Old Apr 3, 17, 10:12 am

Uber is available from both KLIA. There is even a long queue for drivers waiting to get a trip back to Kuala Lumpur (Because I occasionally drive for Uber). However the GPS reception is sometimes not very good at the KLIA terminal so that might be the issue.
Old Apr 4, 17, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by RttlnSnK View Post
However the GPS reception is sometimes not very good at the KLIA terminal so that might be the issue.
Most certainly this. Uber is ubiquitous at KLIA.
Old Apr 5, 17, 12:36 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Just curious... Why not take the train? It's even less expensive, much more comfortable, faster and really easy to use. In fact, I've switched to staying at the awesome Majestic because it's one of three hotels that offer a free shuttle to/from Sentral Station. (Majestic, Hilton and I don't remember the other.)
Old Apr 5, 17, 6:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
So $85 taxi after protesting $118 (prestige v budget).
At the Hyatt my app miraculously sprang to life. $20 back to airport today.
The Uber ride was much more comfortable (he had shocks) for 25% the cost.
Are you sure you have your currencies correct? I assume your "$" represents the local currency i.e. MYR, because MYR85 from the airport sounds about right.

MYR20 from town to airport sounds off though, even for Uber. KL to airport is a 1-hour, ~60km's journey ...
Old Apr 5, 17, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I had an odd scenario in Feb. Requested an Uber and it was quickly accepted (as in the past). This time however the driver, at 7 min away initially, was still 7 min away after 5 min. He never moved. I cancelled and re-requested.

Same driver claimed the ride, and never moved.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

After the third time, all the same driver, we headed downstairs and grabbed the train.

In all about 20 min of wasted time and a 5 MYR charge for cancelling more than 5 min after the request; this was, upon complaint, given as a credit and subsequently refunded when pressed.

Just a very strange occurrence.
Old Jun 12, 17, 3:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Uber drivers will include the 2-3 toll charges you will have to pay getting from KLIA to downtown KL or bangsar or PJ so be aware. The price quoted does not include the toll charges.

The train charge has gone up to RM55 per person per way and stops at about 1.00am each morning.

You can get a discount if you use your master card at their kiosk and the price is about RM44 or RM45 per person per way.

28 minutes by train to KL sentral and then a short taxi ride to your hotel.

Beware the blue taxi's charge more than the budget taxi's for the same journey from KL Sentral to hotels in downtown KL.
Old Jan 15, 18, 5:45 pm

Just had an interesting and frustrating experience from KUL airport yesterday afternoon. I needed to go to the Marriott Putrajaya and had all 4 drivers cancel on my. The last one kept messaging me to please cancel instead of him and I refused to do so. I then turned off location services, got a taxi instead and held the reservation until he was forced to cancel which was about 30 minutes later. A jerk move on my part but I was pretty frustrated this kind of stuff will make Uber very unreliable and useless in the future. I get that a lot of drivers may be trying to get back to KL but that is the job. Beyond the waste of time waiting for drivers that ultimately do not show is that there was absolutely no budget taxis that I could see so ended up in an "executive" taxi which of course was way more. I normally do not take taxi's in KL as I typically do Uber but have always been trips around KL city as I am typically staying near Sentral and just take the ekspress train. A little learning experience for me yesterday for sure.
Old Jan 15, 18, 10:58 pm

Programs: MH, AC, AS
Originally Posted by mcgahat View Post
Just had an interesting and frustrating experience from KUL airport yesterday afternoon. I needed to go to the Marriott Putrajaya and had all 4 drivers cancel on my
Wow, that's ridiculous. I've only heard of oversupply issues with too many drivers waiting for passengers at KLIA, but this is the first I'm hearing of the reverse. I hope you sent them a message/email about this.
Old Jan 15, 18, 11:48 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by SilverChris View Post
Wow, that's ridiculous. I've only heard of oversupply issues with too many drivers waiting for passengers at KLIA, but this is the first I'm hearing of the reverse. I hope you sent them a message/email about this.
Comparing to DPS/Bali, Uber at KLIA is excellent...
Old Jan 16, 18, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Comparing to DPS/Bali, Uber at KLIA is excellent...

I've shed tears of frustration at DPS trying get an Uber driver to brave the wrath of the taxistas. I even tried for a Bluebird with the company's very own app: failure

In Jakarta CGK can be Uber friendly, but it's a devil of a job tracking down your driver.
I guess fear keeps them from driving through the pick-up zone. The app suggests the cheerful driver will walk over to that zone and help you shift yourself+bags across to his car. Never happened so far - best has been whatsapp messages identifying the sector of the car park where he is hiding

In Bandung forget about an airport Uber (or railway station, for that matter). And if you get an Uber to r]take you to the airport, be prepared to embrace the driver in a in a familial farewell to fool the taxi drivers
Old Jan 19, 18, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by SilverChris View Post
I did complain for what it was worth. I did talk to another driver the following day and she said that it may have also been that people wanted to get to KL as surge pricing was in effect there. Interesting thing, I also stayed in KL at the Renaissance hotel and wanted to get back to the Marriott for another stay and had a similar experience with drivers not wanting to go to Putrajaya. I gave up and used Grab and worked fine. I wish I had thought of Grab before I elected to take the exec taxi at KLIA but I was so tired wasnt thinking right. The Uber driver I was talking to also reminded me of the KL transit train that could have gotten me to Putrajaya and there are plenty of cars there at that point.
Old Jan 21, 18, 2:49 pm

Location: JFK based (¯`'•.¸AAdvantage Gold * Delta Silver * Marriott Plat * HHonors Gold¸.•'´¯)
Interesting that no one mentions Grab Taxi, it's just as good as Uber (if not better because of more availability of drivers) and they often have nice promotions (which are easy to find, just look in Notifications/Messages within the app). You also earn Grab points for every ride, which you then use for vouchers for $ off rides.
Old Jan 21, 18, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by dragonmp11a10 View Post
Interesting that no one mentions Grab Taxi, it's just as good as Uber (if not better because of more availability of drivers) and they often have nice promotions (which are easy to find, just look in Notifications/Messages within the app). You also earn Grab points for every ride, which you then use for vouchers for $ off rides.
Yep, as I mentioned in my post above, I should have thought about Grab sooner. I think the biggest reason is that Grab is not global like Uber so I am just accustomed to using it more and it is pretty much automatic. I have been in SE Asia for over a week now and I now look at and compare both each time. Just force of habit I think with people not from the area and always using Uber.
Old Jan 26, 18, 5:08 pm

Also got GRAB.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: