Wiki Posts
Search

Day trips from Jakarta

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Day trips from Jakarta

Are there any worthwhile/feasible day trips from Jakarta? I will be there for several days, but with some free time, so I'm interested in a one-day trip out. But I'm not sure where or how to go. I definitely don't want to drive. It seems like most tourism entails going to Bali or somewhere further away. Is there anything nearby? Or would I be better entertained by scouring the city for things to tour?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by fumje
Are there any worthwhile/feasible day trips from Jakarta? I will be there for several days, but with some free time, so I'm interested in a one-day trip out. But I'm not sure where or how to go. I definitely don't want to drive. It seems like most tourism entails going to Bali or somewhere further away. Is there anything nearby? Or would I be better entertained by scouring the city for things to tour?
Bogor is easy: do it by train, bus or car. Botanical gardens and colonial mansion and all round chaos of an Indonesian city.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Plenty to see in Jakarta without battling to get in and out of the city. What are you interested in?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Unless you're an animal activist, I like Taman Safari. Go early. Don't stick your arms out the window in the Tiger enclosure.

Bandung can be interesting. The Angklung show is nice. Just don't go on the weekend or holiday. The train costs $8-10 each way, and Uber and Grab are pretty cheap.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
I'm planning on visiting Bogor in about a week's time, staying near CGK.
Bus from airport to Bogor.
Train from Bogor to downtown Jarkarta and bus back to airport.

Well that's the plan...

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:47 pm

Are the volcano and Bandung do-able for a day trip? Seems to be 2-3 hours by car each way.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hkskyline
Are the volcano and Bandung do-able for a day trip? Seems to be 2-3 hours by car each way.
I'd say 2.5-3 hours to Bandung, if not on the weekend or holiday times. I'm nt sure what volcano you're looking for. Anak Krakatoa?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i wouldn't dream of driving: did it once and arrived tense and tired. The train's 31/2 hours: nice enough journey and you can relax. Not sure it would be worth it for the day. For me Banding is an acquired taste - nothing really special to see or do, but the place has grown on me. Drat!!
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
I'm planning on visiting Bogor in about a week's time, staying near CGK.
Bus from airport to Bogor.
Train from Bogor to downtown Jarkarta and bus back to airport.

Well that's the plan...

Happy wandering

Fred
Excellent plan. If you want a Bogor hotel recommendation - I rate most strongly the Santika, by the bus station.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:13 pm

Years back, when I lived there in early '90s, often took friends to Borobudor (http://borobudurpark.com/the-borobudur-temple/) for the day. Caught super early flight, arranged car/driver/guide and then caught late afternoon flight back. But you do miss sunrise and sunset this way.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More

Best way to reach Bandung is by minibus transport. Fairly cheap and fast (about 2-2.5 hours away). What volcano do you want to visit? I advise 'kawa putih' but this might prove a bit difficult for a day trip. And I do not recommend 'Tangkuban Prahu'.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:34 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Zolex
Best way to reach Bandung is by minibus transport. Fairly cheap and fast (about 2-2.5 hours away). What volcano do you want to visit? I advise 'kawa putih' but this might prove a bit difficult for a day trip. And I do not recommend 'Tangkuban Prahu'.
2-2.5 hours? Perhaps during the night time.

I rather enjoyed the train...for the first half of the ride (from Jakarta), it's not much, but the second half you get to see rice terraces, and the endless verdant setting of West Java.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
2-2.5 hours? Perhaps during the night time.

I rather enjoyed the train...for the first half of the ride (from Jakarta), it's not much, but the second half you get to see rice terraces, and the endless verdant setting of West Java.
If you go for nice views, sure the train is the right option. But in my experience it's slower than going by minibus. You could try http://www.daytrans.co.id/
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you go for nice views, sure the train is the right option. But in my experience it's slower than going by minibus. You could try http://www.daytrans.co.id/
Nicer views, you can stretch your legs, get refreshments served at your seat .... and it's just a bit less tense
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Minibus greatly depends on traffic. If it's non-stop traffic, you could spend 5-6 hours.

I've only once gone from Bandung to Jakarta in 2 hours. It was 5am on Christmas morning with almost no traffic, and a minibus driver driving like a bat out of hell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.