Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do in Brunei?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by kale73
Are the above suggestions re: bringing in alcohol, places that surreptitiously serve alcohol, etc. still valid in light of the newly implemented penal code?

Good questions to ask ! I read some people were referring now to Brunei as the Saudi Arabia of SE Asia 😄
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is this the same sultan who was importing call girls and had a hotel-like compound where they stayed (and were guarded/watched) until he wanted them?
downinit likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is this the same sultan who was importing call girls and had a hotel-like compound where they stayed (and were guarded/watched) until he wanted them?
I think it was the sultan's brother who was most associated with that. Though obviously the sultan would at least have to be OK with it. They do have polygamy there, BTW.

A great thing to do in Brunei would be to take a nature trip into the interior, as that has hardly been disturbed. Am not sure how easy the logistics on that would be.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I couldn't do anything to support the economy of such a country these days.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Manage your expectations. If you don't want to see any mosques and you aren't going to head into the jungle there's a few hours worth of stuff to do. See the museum of the Sultan's knick-knacks, go to the floating village, try to choke down some revolting ambuyat and stroll through the 4 streets of what may be the world's most boring capital city.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
I couldn't do anything to support the economy of such a country these days.
U probably should trade in any gas-powered vehicle and get an electric one, then. It's an oil-supported economy. Even if the U.S. doesn't buy a drop directly, the U.S. demand factors into the global market that sets the price. I think you're probably referring to visiting and spending money directly, but the sultan cares about and notices that a lot less than he'd notice getting de-funded by falling demand leading to falling oil prices. A lot of the mess we're in these days is because oil revenues have helped countries and people with the more radical Wahabbist bent over the years, and oil-wealthy donors have funded schools and other institutions throughout the Muslim world. The less-conservative version that was seen in places like Morocco, Turkey, Egypt and Lebanon and made places like Beirut and Tangier into what they were has lost ground by comparison.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I'm not talking about oil. I'm talking about Bruinei's ghoulish punishments against LGBT people.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
I'm not talking about oil. I'm talking about Bruinei's ghoulish punishments against LGBT people.
But best to point out these are only theoretical measures. Not nice, but Brunei is certainly not alone or even in the forefront of such craziness.

And please note LGBT folk are not the only targets for the country's statutory viciousness.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
As someone who has actually been to Brunei, I'll reply to the thread, hence it's dated. But at least my input might help someone later on, because some of the comments posted irk me seriously.

Originally Posted by gpia
No idea why anyone would rent a car there.
Because you're then extremely limited to Bandar Seri Begawan. Furthermore your schedule isn't tied to the availability of a taxi. Fuel is cheap, thanks to Shell Brunei, and car rentals aren't expensive compared to many isolated locations. The only possible problem would be street parking in BSB, but that's not an impossible issue. I had a bit tricky to find parking near the shopping centres after iftar for having dinner, but not impossible.

The Pan-Bornean Highway is very handy for reaching Seria and other parts of the country. Two days is well enough for a car holiday in Brunei. I personally did of course drive very small roads as well with my KIA Sportage.

Originally Posted by gpia
Afterwards, the memorabilia museum downtown is very well worth a visit, and you can easily spend 2 hours there. There's a sizeable model of the Sultan's Dreamliner in the lobby, so FT needs are fulfilled as well
Wrong. It's his 747-8. At least he himself flew the 747-400, but I assume he no longer has his pilot license due to his age.

The 787-8 model of BI is however at display at BWN.

Originally Posted by RustyC
I remember staying at the Pusat Belia one time and the Capital Hotel the other...back then the only places that were even semi-affordable. Am sure there's more choice now.
I vouch for the Brunei Hotel in BSB.

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Yes, the Museum of the Sultan's Stuff is worthwhile
For the record: Royal Regalia Museum. Everything from actually worthy items to the odd spare Momo wristwatch.

The maritime and Malay technology museums are also worthwile, easily visited by car. All museums in Brunei are free of charge.

I think it was the sultan's brother who was most associated with that.
Indeed, hence the sultan was also much of a playboy back in the day and has divorced. The current policies of the 2000s and 2010s originate from that, because as the caliph he seems to want to make good as he has grown older. Maybe feeling that he needs to be a better role model as a man of the faith.

A great thing to do in Brunei would be to take a nature trip into the interior, as that has hardly been disturbed. Am not sure how easy the logistics on that would be.
The logistics are simple - rent a car and drive. Very straightforward and the traffic is okay. I second the suggestion of visiting the inner areas of Brunei.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
But best to point out these are only theoretical measures. Not nice, but Brunei is certainly not alone or even in the forefront of such craziness.
Not making any political point, but just reminding you about a few facts.

First of all Brunei hasn't exercised the capital punishment during its independence since 1984. There's no moratorium on it. I just guess people have been smart enough to avoid e.g. importing over 1 kg of opium and being caught for it. Capital punishment is mandatory for certain drug trafficking crimes. As for caning, it previously only applied to males. All the aforementioned just like in Singapore and it's a British colonial legacy. Now this latest Sharia based legislation does indeed change the stance on canings and would also mean caning females, which is contrary to previous legislation, which had no religious background. OTOH, it's not obvious to me do they still follow the Sharia as it should be followed, meaning this gender minority legislation should in fact only apply to Muslims. At least that's how it should be, based on their previous application of Sharia, which was of the righteous kind. The alcohol consumption and purchasing bans only apply to Muslims, which explains why you can import bottles from Malaysia by car or don't have to fast during Ramadan etc. Sharia in its true form doesn't apply to other Abrahamic peoples (Christians and Jews). Just like alchohol isn't outright illegal in e.g. Iran. Alas, you can also have wine served on BI (Royal Brunei Airlines, in case IATA codes aren't your thing), if you bring your own bottle. Not an issue.

Visiting Brunei isn't a big deal or in any sense dangerous. And one has to remember that Malays are after usually a bit laid back and outright lazy, so they don't fuss about everything. The religious stuff just keeps them in check. This is of course just my own view, but I have no qualms with Malays. The previously mentioned "magic tea" (beer in a teapot) is linked to the Chinese minority, which run some restaurants. So if alcohol is a must for you (heck, why are you in Brunei then?), then visit a Chinese restaurant and inquire for some magic tea. I personally don't have any experience of that bootleg stuff, because I'm happy to be without drinking alcohol for weeks and months.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
stroll through the 4 streets of what may be the world's most boring capital city.
Riyadh is miles ahead in the competition for that title, but Seri Begawan is a strong second. The airport is a tie with VTE for the "most deserted airport of a capital city" title.

The boat tour to the mangrove forest just outside the capital with those long nose monkeys and other fauna - that was the best part. Kampong Ayer was the second best. Mosques - interesting modern muslim architecture. Sultan's stuff museum - weird, to say the least.

We had basically the whole Empire hotel complex to ourselves - there were maybe a dozen other guests, who stayed by the pool. We had the totally empty sandy beach for ourselves!

One can spend 2-3 days there, no problems, but after that it's very refreshing to move over to Sarawak.
nancypants and Braniff like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Riyadh is miles ahead in the competition for that title, but Seri Begawan is a strong second. The airport is a tie with VTE for the "most deserted airport of a capital city" title.

The boat tour to the mangrove forest just outside the capital with those long nose monkeys and other fauna - that was the best part. Kampong Ayer was the second best. Mosques - interesting modern muslim architecture. Sultan's stuff museum - weird, to say the least.

We had basically the whole Empire hotel complex to ourselves - there were maybe a dozen other guests, who stayed by the pool. We had the totally empty sandy beach for ourselves!

One can spend 2-3 days there, no problems, but after that it's very refreshing to move over to Sarawak.
The lounge at BWN beats the VTE lounge!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.