Wiki Posts
Search

3 Week Asia Trip - First Time

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

3 Week Asia Trip - First Time

Hello,

I am planning to visit Asia for the first time next year. As of now, the plan is 3 cities over 3 weeks. Please help me with some suggestions for what cities I should consider (mostly open to anything) and what is good to do there. I travel to eat and gf travels for culture and history.

Tokyo has always been my number 1 bucket destination so that will be one of them. Other contenders are Beijing, Hanoi, Bangkok, Shanghai and Taipei. Cities with good day trips are a plus as if there are some compelling ones, I am willing to extend the vacation.

While this will not be our last time to Asia (hopefully), we probably won't be coming back for another 5 years or so (we love Europe, Caribbean and skiing) and so would like to get in as much as possible.

Thank you.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:23 pm

Here would be my two suggestions:

1. Go to Japan for the entire three weeks. You could spend a week in and around Tokyo pretty easily, then head down to Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe/Nara, then up to Hokkaido, hitting cities on the way. Probably not the most efficient route, but you get the idea.

2. Go to SE Asia as traveling between cities can be cheap using LCC (try Jetstar, Air Asia, Tigerair). Hanoi (with a stop in Halong Bay), Singapore (strictly for the food), Chiang Mai, Bagan, and Siem Reap would be at the top of my list.

Last edited by calbear2005; Jan 7, 2017 at 11:51 pm
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
I enjoyed my time in Hanoi - a week will be far too much, but you could do a 1 or 2 night side trip to Ha Long Bay (a must, in my opinion), and there are other day trips available to nearby ceramic villages, or a national park. I think 3 days in Hanoi proper would be good - take a food tour, check out the historical sites, and see a water puppet show to get a good sense for the stories that have shaped their culture.

Here's how I spent my time in Hanoi in late 2015 (part on our own, part with a tour group): http://grosstravelchronicles.blogspo...ch/label/Hanoi

Just got back from Tokyo, and I'm sure you'll love that as well.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:11 am

I'd go with Tokyo, Beijing and Hanoi, assuming you're travelling at a time of year suitable for all three places.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

You said Tokyo is on your list, add to it Bangkok. I also liked Hong Kong for food. As for the cultural things for your gf, I think Cambodia would be nice to visit.

Traveling between SE Asia cities can be cheap if you are flying without a bag. AirAsia, Tigerair, Jetstar have those ridiculous fees. The ticket from BKK to any destination might cost you $15, but then you have to add baggage (another $20), other crazy fees, privilege to pay with credit card another $11, airport and immigration taxes. So at the end you are paying almost what you would pay with regular airline.
Also, beware of Tigerair. If you are flying on a connecting flight via SIN, you will have to reclaim your bags for the connecting flight!
If you are backpacking through the Asia, then LCC are way to go.

The best LCC in my opinion is Nok Air. They have the least add on fees, and there is always 15kg or 20kg baggage included per person. To add another 5kg is only $3 during the booking process. Also, Nok Air charges only $3 for credit card payment.
The only downside of that is that they fly to very few international destinations, but they cover entire Thailand.

I think you can easily put Tokyo and Bangkok as your two destinations, and then decide on another one.
If you are from US, remember that you would need visa for some of the countries like Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar or China.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I would spend a week in Tokyo with a side trip to Nikko and a week in Bangkok with side trips to Ayutthaya and perhaps Samut Songkhram.

With the third, I'd split it between Hanoi and Hong Kong. Both are worth 3-4 days. I could also make a case for replacing one of those with Penang, or just squeezing it in after Bangkok.

When friends ask, my "intro to Asia" three week trip is Tokyo with a side trip to Nikko, Penang (flying via Singapore and squeezing in long layover to explore for a day), either Koh Lanta or parts of Koh Samui depending on the season, Bangkok, Hanoi, and wrapping up in Hong Kong.

Last edited by txflyer77; Jan 8, 2017 at 10:12 am
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Another vote for 3 weeks at japan, however, if you really want to spend it on other cities, Beijing will be close second. Third is Bangkok.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Thank you guys for all the helpful suggestions. I will be travelling from Toronto and using a business class Aeroplan redemption ticket which is why I need to limit it to 3 stops. I can get additional flights in between but would rather not spend so much time in airports.

Right now it's between Japan for 3 weeks or Tokyo, Beijing and Shanghai or Tokyo, Beijing and Bangkok. What would be best time to visit these locations? Completely flexible on dates. What are some of the things to do or day trips to take?

Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:59 pm

If you're going to do Japan for three weeks, I would recommend going during the Cherry Blossom Festival (typically mid-March to late-April). Because the blooming is dictated by the weather, having three weeks there will give you time to "sync" everything up. However, accommodations are dearer at this time.

If you pair up your trip to Japan with a visit to Bangkok, go during Songkran (mid-April).
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I'm partial to late October/November for Tokyo. Monsoon season is over, fall colors are peaking around Nikko and Matsumoto and temperatures and humidity are in a comfortable range.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I also would pick October/November time frame. Best weather in SE Asia.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:27 pm

You could easily spend three weeks in Japan and not scratch the surface. A week in Tokyo, a week in Kyoto, Osaka and Nara, a week in Himeji, Hiroshima and Miyajima. Easily three weeks.
I have to say, my favourite city in Japan had to be Kyoto. There's so much to see and it feels quite special.
Summer is pretty hot, but at the same time winter is pretty cold. The best times are Spring and Autumn. As has already been said, Cherry Blossom season is a good time to go. But hotels book up very quickly and everywhere touristy is packed.

Bangkok has to be, for me, the funnest Asian city. It has an amazing combination of loads of historical/ cultural sites, fantastic foods, great nightlife and low prices. The 'cool' (it's still hot as!) season is November to February. You'd probably want to avoid the rainy season which is July to October.

For China - I'd avoid July and August, as it's hot and humid. You also need to avoid Golden Week, as the whole of China is on holiday. I'm sure you don't want to see the Great Wall like this - http://i.cdn.travel.cnn.com/sites/de...?itok=PvCHuwhL

Vietnam is very nice - Be aware though that the North can be very wet and miserable in winter. Malaysia is also very interesting. Though it all depends on what you want to do.

If you are looking for somewhere to go for a few days, Singapore is an excellent. It's unlike any other city in S.E Asia. Incredibly modern and clean - though it's a lot more expensive than other cities. There's quite a lot to do and see there too.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I love Hanoi. It's different from other big Asian cities as it still has that small time city feel. I absolutely loved the restaurants there. The food was great.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Landed on Tokyo, Beijing and Bangkok. I understand I could spend all 3 weeks in Japan but would like to sample a couple more countries.

What would be some day trips to recommend from these 3 cities? Also, what's good to eat and where ?

Thank you!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:25 pm

Day trips for:
Bangkok - Ayutthaya
Toyko - Osaka or Kyoto; both are about 2.5 hours by bullet train; if you do this, get the JR Pass as Tokyo-Kyoto rt is the break-even point for a 7 day pass versus a single rt ticket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.