Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt or Ritz Carlton in Kuala Lumpur?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Hyatt or Ritz Carlton in Kuala Lumpur?

It's been a while since I've been to KL and I have an upcoming trip. Based on the rates available to me, the Grand Hyatt and Ritz Carlton price out about the same with breakfast included at the Grand Hyatt.

What would be your preference?
Old Dec 10, 2016, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I don't know the RC, but the Hyatt's Tower View Grand Suite is fab.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks WC.
I don't think I'm going to be upgraded to a suite if I book the Hyatt though

While I don't necessarily rely on the rankings on TripAdvisor, it puts the Hyatt above the RC. The expectation is that the RC should be a better property so I was hoping FT readers would weigh in.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Grand Hyatt hands down especially if the rates being offered are the same.

The rooms are incredibly comfortable and the views fantastic plus it is linked with an underground passage to KLCC shopping center and an overhead waking bridge to Pavillion at Bukit Bintang.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by wolf72

The rooms are incredibly comfortable and the views fantastic plus it is linked with an underground passage to KLCC shopping center and an overhead waking bridge to Pavillion at Bukit Bintang.
We are planning a two night stay in KL this February (leisure). It is the city that has been the most difficult choosing hotels. I started with the Westin, because of price, location and Starwood membership. Due to the first quarter double points program for both Starwood and Marriott, I decided to cancel that and switch to the JW Marriott to double dip on each programs doubling points. But, just noticed the pool closure at the JW, due to renovations. OOops, another cancel.

So, I decided to look at what would have been my first choices in the city, disregarding alliances...the Hyatt or Shangri-la. I've found a "suite deal" at the Shangri-la, for just a bit more than a basic club room at the Hyatt, which includes round trip transfers and a 150 Myr hotel credit ( credit brings the price down below Hyatt). Hyatt was always my first choice, but this looked like a good deal...suite, transfers and credit for about the same price. Was it? Or should I cancel yet again?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Thank you wolf72, for the input.
Interesting to hear that you find the GH superior to the RC when the cost is the same.

Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GrossePointeBlank
We are planning a two night stay in KL this February (leisure). It is the city that has been the most difficult choosing hotels. I started with the Westin, because of price, location and Starwood membership. Due to the first quarter double points program for both Starwood and Marriott, I decided to cancel that and switch to the JW Marriott to double dip on each programs doubling points. But, just noticed the pool closure at the JW, due to renovations. OOops, another cancel.

So, I decided to look at what would have been my first choices in the city, disregarding alliances...the Hyatt or Shangri-la. I've found a "suite deal" at the Shangri-la, for just a bit more than a basic club room at the Hyatt, which includes round trip transfers and a 150 Myr hotel credit ( credit brings the price down below Hyatt). Hyatt was always my first choice, but this looked like a good deal...suite, transfers and credit for about the same price. Was it? Or should I cancel yet again?
My opinion having stayed at the Shangri-La and JW Marriot. Both are top class with JW Marriot being very convenient as it is directly across from Pavillion mall and a short walk to Bukit Bintang and KLCC. The rooms and quality of customer service and staff is top class.

Same for the Shang...the club lounge was packed the last time I stayed there and they have a very consistent service with very comfortable rooms though you need to do a bit of walking to get to the key areas I mentioned above. It isn't far though walking wise.

I would stick with Hyatt since the deal is that good..transfer/suit and breakfast I assume?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by konoyaro
Thank you wolf72, for the input.
Interesting to hear that you find the GH superior to the RC when the cost is the same.
I think the GH is superior to the Ritz but the advantages are:

-views
-exclusive feel of the gh
-excellent breakfast spread
-Just outside of the bukit bintang area and traffic jam areas in the city center but not far that it is no more than a 10 minute taxi ride to pavillion/bukit bintang or a 10 minute walk underground to KLCC OR a 15 minute walk to pavillion using the overhead walkway from the back of GF.
-Ease of a taxi or limo getting to the highway and on to the KLIA airport without getting stuck in unneccessary traffic jams in the pavillion/bukit bintang zone at peak hours where the Ritz and JW Marriot are located.

Another good hotel that is worth considering is Millenium Copthorne. It is almost similar to JW and Ritz standards and has its loyal clients. It is next to Pavillion and across the road directly from JW and Ritz.

Have fun.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Excellent info wolf72 - thanks for sharing your thoughts on this property.

I think the GH is superior to the Ritz but the advantages are:

-views
-exclusive feel of the gh
-excellent breakfast spread
-Just outside of the bukit bintang area and traffic jam areas in the city center but not far that it is no more than a 10 minute taxi ride to pavillion/bukit bintang or a 10 minute walk underground to KLCC OR a 15 minute walk to pavillion using the overhead walkway from the back of GF.
-Ease of a taxi or limo getting to the highway and on to the KLIA airport without getting stuck in unneccessary traffic jams in the pavillion/bukit bintang zone at peak hours where the Ritz and JW Marriot are located.

Another good hotel that is worth considering is Millenium Copthorne. It is almost similar to JW and Ritz standards and has its loyal clients. It is next to Pavillion and across the road directly from JW and Ritz.

Have fun.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by konoyaro
Excellent info wolf72 - thanks for sharing your thoughts on this property.
No worries.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
No idea if it has been renovated since my stay in 2014 but when I was there the Ritz was a dump, I had to be moved three times in two days due to various issues.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gpeso8
No idea if it has been renovated since my stay in 2014 but when I was there the Ritz was a dump, I had to be moved three times in two days due to various issues.

I agree. It was not impressive. Hence, if it was selling for the same price as GH, it was a no brainer. GH all the way!
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
I'm thinking about the GH for a stay in July with the family.

Any updates?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by THECLIPPERS
I'm thinking about the GH for a stay in July with the family.

Any updates?
Are you here yet ? I am considering GH too. Going in July and thinking the King room
Old Apr 20, 2023, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AS, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
I'd also like to hear some FTers revisit this topic. I'm headed to KUL in September and am considering RC, JW, and Intercontinental. I know some things don't change (location, convenience), but others (service, cleanliness, comfort) can fluctuate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.