Search

Sapa, Vietnam in December

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: traveling
Sapa, Vietnam in December

I will take a trip to Sapa, Vietnam in December. Anyone know how the weather of Sapa in December is. How much time should I spend in Sapa? Any tips for this trip are highly appreciated.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I would imagine that the NW Highlands gets colder as the winter progresses, and Sapa does see a dusting of snow in mid-winter. My advice is to take the train and enjoy the views for 2 to 3 days.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:11 pm
Suspended

In December, Sapa is bitter cold and foggy. Temperature sometimes drops below freezing point so you should prepare heavy clothes. 3 or 4 days is enough to travel Sapa.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:43 am
Suspended

the temperature during winter (December to February) falls to under zero degree Celsius, and many trees in the town are covered in ice. If you are a lucky person, you will see snow in December. Therefore, the time is considered as the best time to visit Sapa. Furthermore, spending about 3-4 days in Sapa, if you have time to stay in there longer. In Sapa, you can enjoy Love market or traditional market as well as homestay at H'mong people to learn more about lifestyle and culture of them. You can read more about tips or travel guide at http://www.sapatrekkinghomestay.com
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:23 am

It is a nice time to visit Sapa. Take an overnight train or bus to Lao Cai province in Hanoi and then take a taxi to Sapa in Lao Cai. Overnight train is safer than bus.
Cheers
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
I'd appreciate insight on this as well. Is hiking in Sapa in December going to be cold and miserable and muddy? Thanks.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
I'd appreciate insight on this as well. Is hiking in Sapa in December going to be cold and miserable and muddy? Thanks.
I think it really depends on your definition of cold. Does it dip below freezing sometimes? Yes. Does it get "bitter cold"? lol, no way. (to me bitter cold is -20C/-5F or lower)

Also keep in mind if somebody is talking about Celsius or Fahrenheit. Big difference between sub-zero C and sub-zero F.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:03 pm

Muddy and foggy yes, most likely.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
Also, the trails can be quite steep. If there is snow and ice about, I wouldn’t want to think about it. I lost my footing once (old shoes with old tred, the end of two months of backpacking) and it was a dry day in August.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Confirmed. A few years ago light drizzle and fog. Bring warm clothes. Slippery in muddy spots. Grey skies and grey fields so not as photogenic as warmer times of the year but still enjoyable.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
We were in Sapa about six years ago in December and did not enjoy it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.