Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Vietnamese have same manners as Chinese

Vietnamese have same manners as Chinese

Old Jul 12, 16, 6:06 pm

Programs: Skypass, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Asiana, Krisflyer, Etihad Guest, Velocity Rewards
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
But they somehow get a pass, but China doesn't. I don't get it. Because many travellers describe Vietnam as magical, and I guess the lack of manners/rule-following just makes it all the more special. But in China nobody ever thinks the rudeness adds to the local flavor.
Not my experience. Guess it depends where you have gone for example.
Old Jul 12, 16, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ProleOnParole View Post
China has higher population density, and larger urban migration, which can exacerbate some issues (people leave their communities, where everyone recognizes them, and move to densely populated areas, where they can be largely anonymous).

Also, Chinese get criticized a lot for their behavior abroad (whether justly or not is another matter). Vietnamese don't travel as much internationally, and when they do, they are often lumped together with the Chinese.
You know, that is insightful. I guess nobody has an idea of what a Vietnamese person travelling abroad is like. In the same way Americans, Brits, Germans have known reputations. But Swiss? They aren't big enough to make a presence.

I guess in Asia most people just lump them into Japanese or Chinese (for East Asia and lighter skinned Asian), and probably Thai if one is darker-skinned.
Old Jul 12, 16, 10:32 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I've been to China and Vietnam, so I'm curious what you consider as rude and how one nationality is ruder than the other?

My personal experiences have been an older Vietnamese woman sitting behind me on the plane putting her feet between my headrest and the window.

I have seen more public urination in Vietnam than China.

Both nationalities are notorious line cutters.

Both nationalities show up late and I actually think this is part of the culture.

People in both countries are bad drivers.

I see spitting in both countries.

I think people in Vietnam pick their nose more.
Old Jul 13, 16, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G
The truth is that you will find rude people all over the world. I would say people tend to be ruder in crowded cities and when traveling. Places like airports, planes, trains or bus terminals, for example, often bring out the worst in all of us. It's not really useful to generalize about entire countries, especially those as diverse as China (which includes places like Tibet) or Vietnam (which as was pointed out includes a culturally distinct central region). As always, YMMV.

A couple observations in this thread strike me as true. As was said, in Vietnam (and in China) what travelers may perceive as "rude" is simply part of the culture and how things are done (i.e.: being direct with people, jumping queues, asking gauche questions like, "how old are you?" or "why aren't you married?").

In addition, I do agree with the sentiment expressed above that some Vietnamese people are incredibly welcoming, open and kind. For me, something I've found in Vietnam that is a counterweight to the "rudeness" is the friendly curiosity that almost everyone here has. I find it to be such a "warm" culture compared to "cold" culture like that of Japan. I would say China is somewhere in the middle.

If the question is "why do Vietnamese get a pass" for being rude, I think another post got this part right, which is that Chinese tourists have developed a bad reputation over the years, while Vietnamese tourists are still rare, relatively speaking. Also, Vietnam is very much a little brother to China's big brother, which makes an impact in terms of perception.

I'll acknowledge my perspective is probably a little biased though, being a Vietnamese speaker having lived in the country for many years. That said, I have had bad days with people here too, but you have those everywhere you live.