ATMs at SGN Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATMs at SGN Airport

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
ATMs at SGN Airport

Arriving at SGN in a couple of weeks at approx midnite. Probably will need some walking-around cash. Apparently the VOA stamp can be paid w/ USD (is that correct?), but likely will need local currency for a cab. Can someone point me to a thread about this, or better to an in-airport ATM that recognizes a Debit MasterCard.
Old May 2, 2016, 6:57 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
You pay VOA in USD. Taxis take USD.
Old May 3, 2016, 12:31 am

Or just change some cash at the many currency exchange booths just after customs.
Old May 3, 2016, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Firemansam
Or just change some cash at the many currency exchange booths just after customs.
I second this.

I have never paid for anything in Vietnam with US Dollars.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Firemansam
There are a couple of ATMs ( I think 1 was Citi dont recall) once in the arrivals hall which is land side. I think its a min 300k withdrawl or 500k but a cab was 165k to The Renaisance which is on the river so it would be slightly less elsewhere(@ 1am) and when there last the 165k was apx $7-8 US

The ATMs were in the middle of the term under some overhang or stairs I think. I walked thru customs into the landside and made a right
Old May 4, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Be sure that cab is a Vinasun or Mai Linh, it's important. Personally, I like to have my hotel arrange for an airport transfer. That way it goes on my hotel bill, and I can wait till the AM to get cash from an ATM of my choice.
Old May 5, 2016, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Daawgon
Be sure that cab is a Vinasun or Mai Linh, it's important. Personally, I like to have my hotel arrange for an airport transfer. That way it goes on my hotel bill, and I can wait till the AM to get cash from an ATM of my choice.
Thanks for the info. Could you expand on the reason for the importance? If hotel arranges transfer is this a cab/limo or what? And approx cost. And BTW, am actually going to the Renaissance referenced in Craz' post (above).
Old May 5, 2016, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BH62
Thanks for the info. Could you expand on the reason for the importance? If hotel arranges transfer is this a cab/limo or what? And approx cost. And BTW, am actually going to the Renaissance referenced in Craz' post (above).
I did the ATM/Taxi (Vinsun) 2 yrs in a row both times to The Renaissance, and would do it again when back there. All a hotel will do is charge you more and maybe a nicer car and someone holding a sign with your name on it.

It was very easy the 1st time I did it, landed got my bags walked thru customs and then looked around for the ATM, got my money and headed outside and to the Left, a number of disbatchers came up to me but I only wanted the 2 companys mentioned Turns out Vinsun is the company at the stand outside the Ren and used them from the airport and the meter was turned on and correct w/o any long drives to run the meter up even at 2am. I Think it took all of 20 mins to the hotel. IMO no need for anything other then a reg Vinsun cab (White cars) or Mihn... (Green cars) but check the spelling as some other companys look like these. Do note they will add a fee both ways that they must pay to enter/exit the airport its not a scam on the drivers part! I thought it was the 1st time since no one mentioned it but the hotel employees who came over to the cab told me it was legit and it was
Old May 7, 2016, 9:24 am

At SGN you exit customs on either the left or the right side of the hall. Then you are in a sort of hallway type area, with sim cards, exchange booths, and so on, and then you exit the building towards the center of this hall, and go out into the pickup area where family and friends and drivers all wait. The ATM's are here between customs and exiting and are functional and you shouldn't have any problems.

Citi ATMs usually allow $300 or $400 (6 or 8 million). HSBC, ANZ etc are 5 or 6 mil usually. I'd choose one of those, but local bank ATMs also usually work with foreign cards if you're in a tight spot; but the limit is lower, like $100 (2 million) or so.

Vina Sun and Mai Linh are the popular choice, and considered less likely to rip you off. In many visits here I've never been ripped off, I wouldn't worry about it at all. If they take a turn or something I've found it's usually to get around traffic. Sometimes their English isn't great though, I'd have the name and address of the hotel written somewhere, or on your phone, just in case, so they can look at it if needed.
Old May 7, 2016, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks to Craz & Maverick (see 2 posts above) for the very useful information re ATMs & the taxi advice.
Old May 9, 2016, 9:14 am

Uber

Has anybody used Uber from the airport to Dist. 1? I'm arriving at 10pm on Saturday night and tempted to use Uber, but also don't know how easy the pickup is...I don't speak the language at all and will only be able to show the hotel address on my phone. Is there a main pickup place for Uber? Also, thank you for the detailed info on the ATM's...as I will be stopping and getting cash out as well. Thank you.
Old May 9, 2016, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
Has anybody used Uber from the airport to Dist. 1? I'm arriving at 10pm on Saturday night and tempted to use Uber, but also don't know how easy the pickup is...I don't speak the language at all and will only be able to show the hotel address on my phone. Is there a main pickup place for Uber? Also, thank you for the detailed info on the ATM's...as I will be stopping and getting cash out as well. Thank you.
If a reg cab will cost you $7-8 why bother with Uber? Just use either Vinsun(white) or Mai Linh (green) cabs I could understand if a reg cab was $30.

Last edited by craz; May 17, 2016 at 11:27 am
Old May 13, 2016, 3:26 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
Uber is really awful in VN. Just use Mai Linh or Vinasun. They are both very, very good.

Taxis worldwide on a scale of 1 to 10.

Tokyo 10
London 9
VN (Mai Lin or Vinasun) 7
NYC - 3

Uber Worldwide
Everywhere except VN 10
VN 0

As someone said, writing down the address could be helpful but very unlikely to be needed.
Old May 16, 2016, 9:08 pm

No problem finding ATMs.

Another vote for Vinasun or Mai Lin.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Pt, CBP Global Entry
You can also pay for your taxi ride using a credit card on Vinasun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.