Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling through ICN, BKK andHKG

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2016, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Travelling through ICN, BKK andHKG

Hello All,

Long time FT lurker, first time poster. I am taking my first trip to Asia! I'm travelling solo, meeting my sister in PNH, so a little nervous venturing that far on my own. Any tips or advise would be appreciated. I will be travelling to PNH from YVR on April 9th and returning on April 19th. My itinerary is as follows.

YVR-ICN AC63 @13:35-16:20+1
ICN-PNH OZ739 @19:15-22:55

PNH-BKK TG581 @10:00-11:05
BKK-HKG TG638 @13:55-17:40
HKG-YVR AC8 @19:35-16:20

Will I need to go through immigration in ICN, BKK or HKG?
If I do should I have enough time or will I need to hustle?
What lounges are available and best to use? I will be travelling in J in all except the PNH--BKK leg and have AC E50K, Priority Pass and a CDN Amex Plat.
Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 4, 2016, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Your transit should all the airside transit and not have to deal with immigration issues. However there would be flight security check at ICN and HKG for sure.

Since you are flying in J these are the lounges:
YVR AC Mapleleaf
ICN OZ

BKK TG
HKG AC's partner lounge (Usually *A partner)
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: most of them
These airports handle lots of international-international transfers.

I haven't been through ICN. But I know BKK and HKG pretty well. Both are pretty big airports and depending on which gates you end up having to use it can be looooong walks. You should have plenty of time though as long as things are on time. As noted you will just need to clear transfer security which is usually fairly quick.

That's a busy time for SE Asia. Enjoy.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
*A lounge options in HKG are UA, SQ and TG.

None are all that special.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Personally, I would rate these airports as ICN and HKG as equally excellent to transit, with BKK a distant third. Basically, everything at ICN and HKG works efficiently, BKK not so much. They all have long walks involved.

IMHO, the choice between ICN and HKG depends on which airline you're on, with ICN being superior for KAL or ASEAN, and HKG being superior for Cathay.

I've found the KAL transit lounge in ICN to be quite useful, with showers, comfy couches - one of which I slept on for over 6 hours during a long layover, and lots of cheap or free internet kiosks.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Along4theride

YVR-ICN AC63 @13:35-16:20+1
ICN-PNH OZ739 @19:15-22:55

PNH-BKK TG581 @10:00-11:05
BKK-HKG TG638 @13:55-17:40
HKG-YVR AC8 @19:35-16:20
Outbound, use the Asiana lounge, food, shower and quiet room in back to nap. Free internet.

Return sectors: Bkk use one of the TG lounges, rate fair in quality. HK - walk around and see what a modern airport feels like!

Both HK and Bkk will probably require walking either par 4 or 5.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:11 pm

Another option in BKK is to visit the Royal Orchid Spa for a complimentary 30min massage.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the tips!
Old Apr 9, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I go through ICN quite a bit, a most efficient airport. The Korean Lounge is located on the 4th level. Your AC flight arrives at the satellite terminal at ICN - take the train to the main terminal, head down (they have people movers) to Transfer/Transit to go through security, up the escalator to the departure level and then find the elevator or escalator to the 4th. To get to your Asiana flight just go down to the main departure level and walk to your gate (Korean and Asiana are in the main terminal). ICN is very large - you might want to download a terminal map.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.