Community
Wiki Posts
Search

7 Days in Bali

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

7 Days in Bali

Hey guys, just looking for opinions, ideas, etc for our upcoming trip in Bali. We are a young couple traveling there and it would be nice to do group trips, tours, excursions with other young ppl. Any ideas on things to see and do? Excursion Companies that are recommended? Good bars? Good shopping? Good beaches?

Also any idea of cell providers for data for the 7 days we are there and cost? Coverage? Even worth it?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Start reading Wikivoyage article about Bali to get understanding. Bali is not a small place and availability of tours and other activities depends on where you are going to stay.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:39 am
Original Poster

We booked 7 nights in Kuta at the 4 Points by Sheraton. We where going for a non brand that would not cost us an arm and a leg but it seems like event he nice looking ones have terrible reviews about being run down.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by hearna
We booked 7 nights in Kuta at the 4 Points by Sheraton. We where going for a non brand that would not cost us an arm and a leg but it seems like event he nice looking ones have terrible reviews about being run down.
I would not stay in Kuta unless being in a company of 'drunken morons' (C) is your way of travel.

Kuta has nothing to do with Bali and its authenticity, it is pretty much Bali's version of Phuket - unsustainable, overrun tourist place filled with Westerners.

If you want some real Balinese experience, try to stay inland, Ubud would be the best.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:46 am
Suspended

Hire a driver.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hearna
I strongly agree with invisible, I would not stay in Kuta.

I tend to avoid group excursions, and would instead recommend that you hire a driver for a day or two if you want to get out and see everything.

In terms of areas to stay . . . Bali isn't so much for the beaches, but I would recommend Sanur (Fairmont) if you want a small local town with plenty of shopping and restaurants. The touristy area with decent beaches would also be Nusa Dua, but it is very westernized. You should also consider a stay in Ubud, the cultural center of Bali.

I guess I would recommend Sanur or Nusa Dua for 3-4 days and Ubud for 3-4 days, and hire a driver to see many of the wonderful sights.

Love Bali - just returned from my wedding there in December.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:42 am

We used Made Real Bali Tours during our time. I posted about him in the Bali drivers thread. The guy is very funny and knows a lot about the island. I wouldn't do a group tour. We are a young couple and really enjoyed having a tour guide. I'd have to check, but everything included for 8-10 hours was $50-65.

If you are trying to meet young people I would suggest staying in Seminyak near Potato Head Beach Club (great place to meet people other young couples). There are many options around there to stay. I'd look on airbnb for villas. You can also look on Tripadvisor. If you want to party you can take a taxi to Kuta. You can use Seminyak as a base to stay and then explore the island with a driver. Though, spending two nights in Ubud wouldn't be a bad idea so you can go out to eat for dinner (you can see a performance at night) and such and see the Monkey Forest in the morning.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:37 pm

When renting the guides for $50-$65, does that include a car as well or just a guide?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by wghaniwala
When renting the guides for $50-$65, does that include a car as well or just a guide?
It depends on who you book. When we booked our driver he was pretty much a tour guide. Our driver asked us what kind of things we'd like to see, they then suggested a few potential itineraries via email, picked us up and then drove us.

A great driver will speak english well, walk you to the entrance of a particular place, help you buy tickets, and maybe show you around a particular site. They will also tell you about their culture and point out different things while driving. They will most likely have a strong knowledge of what is worth seeing/doing/eating.

I'm sure there are some drivers who just drive you from place to place and add no extra value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.