Search

Luxury Bali - without the drunken idiots

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!

I was wondering what area of Bali one should stay in if you want to avoid millions of drunken 20 year olds such as in Kuta.

I would still like to be able to go out to local restaurants but primarily I'd just like to relax there.

I'd preferably like to be near a nice beach.

Thanks
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:35 pm

We stayed in Seminyak at Pradha Villas. The villas were within a short walk to tons of restaurants and shops. They were also a very short walk to the beach.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I was looking at something like the St Regis or an equivalent villa. What was the Pradha Villa like?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:05 pm

I'm not a big fan of chain hotels in Bali. I just don't care for the vibe. South Kuta has some very nice beaches, but we wanted something within walking distance to different places to eat. We also wanted a villa with a pool. The Pradha Villas were very nice for the price range, but not as refined as a place like the St. Regis. We didn't spend a ton of time in the room to be honest. We did tours around the island, went out to eat a bunch, and were at the beach. Pradha Villas had a nice vibe, very beautiful, large villas, and it was fairly quiet. It wasn't beach front, but ~5 mins from the beach. We did a few couples massages. After 4 nights we headed to Ubud and stayed at the KajaNe Mua Private Villa & Mansion next to the monkey forest. After that we did a few nights on Nusa Lembogan.

Are you looking to stay on points or cash?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I'm not a big fan of chain hotels in Bali. I just don't care for the vibe. South Kuta has some very nice beaches, but we wanted something within walking distance to different places to eat. We also wanted a villa with a pool. The Pradha Villas were very nice for the price range, but not as refined as a place like the St. Regis. We didn't spend a ton of time in the room to be honest. We did tours around the island, went out to eat a bunch, and were at the beach. Pradha Villas had a nice vibe, very beautiful, large villas, and it was fairly quiet. It wasn't beach front, but ~5 mins from the beach. We did a few couples massages. After 4 nights we headed to Ubud and stayed at the KajaNe Mua Private Villa & Mansion next to the monkey forest. After that we did a few nights on Nusa Lembogan.

Are you looking to stay on points or cash?
Cash. So can stay anywhere. I like luxurious rooms, preferably suites. A villa would fit the bill. I enjoy reading for an hour or two a day on holidays after doing something so I like a nice room. I love massages too. Usually get one every day!

Thanks for replying.

Isn't Kuta where the 20 year old morons hang out and drink?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Isn't Kuta where the 20 year old morons hang out and drink?
Yes, as well as drunk, fat, loud, tatood, 40-50 something year old your own countrymen. Sorry...

Is beach a requirement? Have you considered Ubud? Completely different universe. I've been there twice last six month and I'm sure will be twice more in next six month.

Bali so far offers the best RoI for vacation, it is so diverse that you can go there back 10 times and see different things. If you really want to get the best return, stay away from big chains and get a private villa. There are so many to choose from that you will find your own unless one gets into analyses paralyses.

If you are really into beach/water/snorkeling, you should seriously look at Nusa Lembogan

Last edited by invisible; Feb 1, 2016 at 2:56 pm
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What you want it all available at Jimbaran beach. I'd recommend a club room at the Intercontinental but there are many other nice resorts on that beach including the four seasons. Wonderful beach for bodysurfing and nice hotels plus not far from the airport.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:33 am
Suspended

Local restaurants in Kuta? Is there such a thing? All I see are western restaurants wannabe.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: most of them
I think Ubud makes sense. Lots of nice little restaurants and fairly walkable town.

I didn't see a lot of "drunken idiots" but I didn't spend any time in Kuta or go to bars when I was there. The Nusa Dua resorts seemed more laid back to me, but you're fairly cloistered there.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:46 pm

I spent 6 days in Bali this past July and split my time between the Four Seasons Sayan in Ubud and the St. Regis in Nusa Dua. No drunken idiots at either place

At the Four Seasons we stayed in a one-bedroom villa and it was an incredible stay. The resort grounds are pristine and the staff offered top notch service. The staff all greeted us by name, asked how we enjoyed specific activities, and went out of their way to make sure we were enjoying our stay. It was an easy ride into Ubud to eat at the local restaurants where good food was very inexpensive (~$5-10 per meal). We also splurged one night by going to Mozaic which was much more expensive and in line with the pricing for a pre-fixe meal at a nice restaurant in Sydney. The food was great though and the atmosphere was really nice so I would recommend it for a nice night out. The FS also has a lot of fun activities that are complimentary like a hike through the river valley, bike ride through the rice paddies and local villages, and "gentle" yoga (was not gentle for a newbie like me). When we were done wearing ourselves out with the hiking and biking, we lounged by our private pool and read books while listening to the river. It was incredibly relaxing.

The St. Regis was also really nice and luxurious, but didn't have the same charm and sense of place that I loved about the Four Seasons. It felt more like a big resort that could have been anywhere. In short, I didn't really feel like I was in Bali. With that said the grounds were beautiful and hanging out on the beach loungers while reading a book and sipping champagne was also very relaxing. There are quite a few restaurants with tasty food to choose from at the resort and the bar has live jazz music most (every?) night. We chose to do the Sunday champagne brunch at Kayuputi, which was a little excessive IMO. The salt water lagoon that snakes through the property was the highlight for us. Very easy to pass some time floating around.

If I return to Bali, I would not hesitate to go back to Ubud generally or the FS specifically. As nice as the St. Regis was, I don't foresee myself going back. This is mainly to do with the seclusion of Nusa Dua. All you see are big resorts for miles and miss the charm of the local people, restaurants and art.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
Yes, as well as drunk, fat, loud, tatood, 40-50 something year old your own countrymen. Sorry...

Is beach a requirement? Have you considered Ubud? Completely different universe. I've been there twice last six month and I'm sure will be twice more in next six month.

Bali so far offers the best RoI for vacation, it is so diverse that you can go there back 10 times and see different things. If you really want to get the best return, stay away from big chains and get a private villa. There are so many to choose from that you will find your own unless one gets into analyses paralyses.

If you are really into beach/water/snorkeling, you should seriously look at Nusa Lembogan
I agree. Us Aussies have a reputation. I went on a boat once from Phuket to Phi Phi Island. Someone asked how much longer until we got there and the boat driver said..."oh about 3 tinnies (cans of beer)... actually, you're all Aussies so I'd say 6 beers"

A beach is a requirement.

To others that suggested Four Seasons. I found that hotel after I posted this. I like that very much. Even the entry rooms look large and glamourous and Asian inspired rather than something that looks like it could be in Sydney.

Thanks all.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:57 pm

To others that suggested Four Seasons. I found that hotel after I posted this. I like that very much. Even the entry rooms look large and glamourous and Asian inspired rather than something that looks like it could be in Sydney.
Good luck. Please note that previous poster was taking about $seasons place which is inland, next to Ubud. There are other 4seasons places around but they are all in quite touristy area.

If you really want to get away from hustle and bustle, take a look at Indiana Kenanga Villas, Lembongan Beach Club & Resort and Batu Karang Lembongan Resort & Day Spa - they are all in small island next to Bali.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Annalisa12, Have you considered Gili Trawangang - Lombok instead of Bali?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 9Benua
Annalisa12, Have you considered Gili Trawangang - Lombok instead of Bali?
I'm interested. I've had a look at the first few pics on Google. I'm investigate more.

The only concern for me is I assume I probably have to go through Jakarta. I really don't feel comfortable in Jakarta after being threatened at the airport by immigration.

Off to google more. Thanks a lot.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:09 pm

The only concern for me is I assume I probably have to go through Jakarta.
Quantas, Guaida, Jetstar, AirAsia and Virgin have direct flights from Sydney to Bali. If you decide to have connection at Jakarta, make sure that you have at least 6h for it. With this into consideration, you'll spend less time reaching Gili by flying to Bali and taking a boat from there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.