Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Itinerary Check for Vietnam via China trip. Any "gotchas" I need to look out for?

Itinerary Check for Vietnam via China trip. Any "gotchas" I need to look out for?

Old Jan 18, 2016, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.

Now that I think about it, having an "Itinerary Check" as its own subforum would be brilliant. Where anyone could post up there itinerary and have folks with experience in those areas give input. Especially after FlyTalker CHUD's experience over in the China forum. But I digress....

I just scored an awesome SkyMiles reward find, but it's pretty complicated and there are lots of potential places for things to go pear-shaped. So I'd like to invite your comments, words of wisdom, and cautions:

10 May ORD-PVG on MU.
11 May arrive PVG. (I have a Chinese visa, my fiancé does not).
11-12 May, overnight at a TBD IHG hotel. (or could pay cash, depending on your recommendations. Got any?)
12 May PVG-SGN on VN (New Airbus 350!). Planning VOA in SGN for both of us. Any concerns about this from the FT community?
12-13 May, overnight in SGN at a To-Be-Determined IHG hotel. (Or recommended?)
13 May, SGN-DAD (DaNang) on VN.
13-15 May, IC resort in DaNang.
15 May, DAD-CXR (Nha Trang) on a cash tickets on VN.
(concern here is only coach seats on this flight, and we will have scuba gear, which will likely put us over coach checked bags limit. All of our other flights are business/first on skymiles. Thoughts??)
15-19 May, IC in Nha Trang.
19 May, CXR-SGN on VN.
19-20 May, Overnight in SGN.
20 May, SGN-PVG on VN.
20-21 May, Overnight in PVG.
21 May, PVG-ORD on MU.

Am I leaving out any critical info? Anyone see a "he's screwed" item in this itinerary? (Yes, CHUD's post has me paranoid now)
Thanks for your time!!
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: various
For the China stopovers, I wouldn't worry too much about CHUD's post, since that situation was not only such an extreme outlier, but also arose from the fact that his entire problems arose from an infeasible connection time. You don't have that issue, and TWOV works fine for in both directions. However, since you have a visa (presumably mutliple entry), you really should be using the regular Immigration entry process. If your fiance would consider getting a Chinese visa, that would allow you to use the same queue; otherwise, she heads for the TWOV queue at PVG.

Vietnamese VOA seems to work fine but it is not a true VOA, you have to prearrange it in advance but that can be done online through a reputable agent. You'll need your confirmation letter in China to show Immigration and the Airline at check-in, that you have authorization to proceed to Vietnam.

Vietnam itinerary: I guess it's OK if that's what you want. That's a good month to travel to those locations. You effectively have only a week in Vietnam. It seems a bit overwrought with a lot of interstitial traveling but I assume that's because of the award ticket availability in/out of SGN. Are you sure the DAD-CXR flight is coach-only? Because the VN site is showing business class ticketing. But, if you go over the coach limit, excess baggage is VND 60,000/kg (less than USD 3/kg), so that's not exactly a bank breaker. I assume you aren't trying to take your own tanks as part of your gear.

Others can comment on the hotels.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Good to know about having the letters handy before boarding in China.
Also, I didn't know having a Chinese visa would seperate us upon arriving. I'll see if she would rather spend an afternoon at the consulate or go through customs separately.

Our scuba gear is everything but tanks and weights, but it's both our kits in one bag.

The VN website shows all classes, but goes into an infinite loop if you try to book anything other than coach. Lots of other issues with their website...it's pretty frustrating.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by airmotive
Good to know about having the letters handy before boarding in China.
Also, I didn't know having a Chinese visa would seperate us upon arriving. I'll see if she would rather spend an afternoon at the consulate or go through customs separately.
Yes, part of the TWOV requirements is that you be able to show admitability to the next country, if it requires a visa for your nationality. Vietnam definitely does require a visa for US citizens. I believe that Chinese Immigration is aware of Vietnam's prearranged VOA scheme, and will honor those confirmation letters, but there's always that extra layer of uncertainty depending on which officer you present to upon arrival at PVG. If one is using Chinese TWOV, a Vietnam visa already in the passport is ironclad proof and forestalls any head scratching when you arrive in PVG. With your Chinese visa, this isn't an issue for you, but your fiance without a Chinese visa using TWOV, potentially could be.

Since standard Chinese tourist visas are now issued for 10 years (carryoverable to future renewed passports), it probably makes sense to do it before this trip, if she will make at least one visit to China in that time period, and if there is cash available to do so. With a Chinese visa, then sticking to the prearranged VOA for Vietnam is definitely no problem. China allows one-way entrance to people with regular visas, and they wouldn't care about your onward plans to Vietnam since TWOV with its onward ticketing requirement, wouldn't apply to Chinese visa holders.

The VN website shows all classes, but goes into an infinite loop if you try to book anything other than coach. Lots of other issues with their website...it's pretty frustrating.
Have you tried an agent like www.flyvietnam.com? Might be easier than dealing with the VN site.

Last edited by jiejie; Jan 18, 2016 at 12:24 pm
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:47 pm

If using taxis in Vietnam stick to vinasun, mind you I had my first semi dodgy moment with them the other day.
Went from airport to war museum in Ho Chi Minh cost us 100,000vnd. When we left a local driver quoted us 400k and another 250k to return to airport, when I challenged them they claimed its because the city is very 1 way.
When then hopped in a vinasun again, the driver spoke English and we joked about the prices quoted, when we arrived to the airport the meter read 135,000. Paid him and he then claimed I would give him 250k.
I put it down to language differences.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:37 am

I think the trip looks ok. The overnight in SGN on each end mitigates any delay issues with getting the visa and making it to connecting flights. The PVG portion that JieJie has been discussing looks more difficult (but still not bad at all, with the overnight as a buffer to connection) to me than any of the Vietnam portions. Domestic flights can be delayed, and bring the papers as mentioned, but that's all pretty simple. There is a long thread here about Vietnam visas you can check out.

The Vietnam diving is pretty average though, so just be prepared for that. As for IHG in SGN, as far as I know the Intercontinental is the only option. It's pretty nice, and pretty good location, so if you prefer to stay at IHG then I'd not hesitate to do it. There are quite a few options here of similar level, and also many good prices on local hotels if you're up for saving a little and staying in a regular place.

Last edited by maverick17; Jan 19, 2016 at 12:43 am
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
One note about the Intercontinental Son Tra Peninsula in Da Nang is that it is located quite far from down town, about 40 minutes by car. The resort does offer a shuttle which operates at fixed schedule. Taxi fare is about 300,000 VND one way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.