FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/)
-   -   somewhere like Langkawi in February (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/1722761-somewhere-like-langkawi-february.html)

JNelson113 Nov 7, 15 7:00 am

somewhere like Langkawi in February

Hey all,
My husband and I and 4 year-old daughter spent a week in Langkawi last year right after Chinese New Year and loved it. We stayed at the Andaman resort, which was perfect as it had abundant wildlife but a beautiful pool area and a kid's program. The beach was great and the water was nice and warm.

I'd love to go back but my husband likes to try new places. Anything comparable to this in the SE asia area? We've been to Phuket and I'm not opposed to going back but just wondering what else there is. Warm ocean water is a must. Thanks!

number_6 Nov 7, 15 5:52 pm

I'm in Langkawi today and there is nothing comparable, though if you didn't leave Andaman you could substitute any of the One&Only resorts for example. Fiji would probably suit and less travel time from US (presuming you are based there), has the same feel once you get away from Denerau (which is high-density resorts, nice enough for what they are and good value but presumably not the experience you seek). Can't recommend specific resorts as the ones I have stayed at don't allow children (many others do, even at the high end, and Fiji is a child-loving culture where kids are treated like royalty).

JNelson113 Nov 8, 15 8:35 am

thank you!

I have been to Fiji and loved it, but we'll be jumping off from Singapore so want to stay in the SE Asia area (within a few hours).

I considered Bali but February seems to be the rainy season so that's no good.

I may look into some of the Thai locations and see what I can find. Thanks!

txflyer77 Nov 8, 15 11:03 am

Originally Posted by JNelson113 (Post 25680972)
I have been to Fiji and loved it, but we'll be jumping off from Singapore so want to stay in the SE Asia area (within a few hours).

I considered Bali but February seems to be the rainy season so that's no good.

I may look into some of the Thai locations and see what I can find. Thanks!

February is the right time of year for Koh Samui, you might look into that. Just be careful about which beach you choose, some of them are pretty trashy these days. Just the thought of Chaweng in peak season makes me gag a bit.

JNelson113 Nov 9, 15 8:04 am

Originally Posted by txflyer77 (Post 25681486)
February is the right time of year for Koh Samui, you might look into that. Just be careful about which beach you choose, some of them are pretty trashy these days. Just the thought of Chaweng in peak season makes me gag a bit.

Thanks! I was thinking of Koh Samui. Any beaches you recommend?

kay sedia Nov 13, 15 5:24 pm

I would suggest Phu Quoc Island in Vietnam over Koh Samui. We split our vacation between the two last year and Phu Quoc was far better.

JNelson113 Nov 13, 15 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by kay sedia (Post 25709915)
I would suggest Phu Quoc Island in Vietnam over Koh Samui. We split our vacation between the two last year and Phu Quoc was far better.

Thanks! I will check that out.

rjp123 Nov 16, 15 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by kay sedia (Post 25709915)

Phú Quốc looks outstanding! Thanks for the reco!

jpdx Nov 17, 15 10:30 pm

I'm currently at the Andaman, and agree with number_6, there isn't much that compares in SE Asia. One place I was equally impressed with (although February isn't a good season there) is the Intercontinental Danang. A spectacular resort with an amazing beach.

Too much travel Nov 18, 15 7:58 am

As mentioned by others above, there's nothing quite like the two Datai Bay hotels (Datai without kids, Andaman with).

However, I hear the Shangri-la Rasa Ria in Kota Kinabalu is pretty good re wildlife as well as an orang-utan rehabilitation centre.

JNelson113 Nov 22, 15 4:44 pm

Thanks!

I actually looked at the Shangri-la in Kota Kinabalu and read that the beach has lots of sand flies. We LOVE the beach and the water, so that is a bummer.

Maybe I can convince my husband to go back to the Andaman. :-)

invisible Nov 22, 15 8:15 pm

Let me join the conversation. We live in Singapore and my wife want to find places where one can fly direct from Singapore, stay over weekend or 3-4 days close to water to fall asleep with sound of waves. I don't really like going to water, rather prefer to hike on beach or nearby jungles.

Any recommendations for places fitting above description? I've done some research and seems with the requirement no more 2h non stop flight and no more than 1h ride from the airport following places are (Langkawi is omitted already):

Malaysia: Kota Kinabalu
Thailand: Krabi, Phuket, Pattaya
Indonesia: Bali, Lombok (flying from Johor)

Anything I've missed? Now considering above, would you recommend budget accommodations you are aware of or have experience staying there? Requirement would be a small lodging, for not more than 8 rooms, away from noise/crowds. If the place has clean room/bedding/towels, no insects inside and hot running water - that would be all we need.

Thanks.

RBH58 Dec 1, 15 7:31 pm

Pimalai Resort and Spa (my favourite beach resort in the world) - Koh Lanta. Fly in/out of Krabi.

invisible Dec 2, 15 10:28 am

Originally Posted by RBH58 (Post 25798662)
Pimalai Resort and Spa (my favourite beach resort in the world) - Koh Lanta. Fly in/out of Krabi.

Thanks, but... do you have any recommendations for a place which would cost 3x-4x times less per night?