Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Help with SE Asia Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2015, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Need Help with SE Asia Itinerary

So I'm planning a 2 week vacation for Sept of next year. Would like 1 week of beach (thinking Phuket or surrounding area) and 1 week of sightseeing (open to suggestion but thinking KUL or SIN).

The issue I'm running into is figuring out an efficient use of miles to get me there and back (from east coast US) in J or F. I have some Citi TYP, Chase UR, and Amex MR. Any of those transfer partners work with stop overs - could I fly into HKT with a stop in KUL? I'm not 100% set on KUL but throwing it out there as a suggestion.

Please help.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:17 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
One suggestion - arrive to SIN or KUL with your miles, make it as your base (KL will be way cheaper to stay) and after that travel around using LLCs - AirAsia, Tiger, Jetstar, etc.

I would recommend to avoid Phuket unless going world's prostitution center is your idea of travel. You have huge selection for beaches and sightseeing - question is what your budget and what are your preferences.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 6:39 am

With the caveat that I have not been to MY, wouldn't it make more sense to stay in country for both stops? For example, pair KL with Langkawi or Penang. Or Phuket with Bangkok or Chiang Mai? I really like SIN, but a week of sightseeing in SIN sounds dreadful.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I agree with Darren. You might think about something like:

* 3 days Singapore
* Train to Kuala Lumpur
* 2 days KL
* Train to Ipoh/Cameron Highlands (hill station)
* 2-3 days Ipoh
* Train to Butterworth for Penang
* 3-4 days Penang
* Ferry or quick flight to Langkawi
* 3 days Langkawi

Fly out from Langkawi. Trains are obviously slower than flights but I think part of the joy of traveling in this part of the world is seeing it at ground level. Plus KL-Ipoh and Ipoh-Penang are 3 hours and 2 hours respectively.

Personally, I find Penang to be more interesting by far than either KL or Singapore but that's just my opinion. I'd be perfectly happy spending an entire week there (and I have!) but with that much time I'd split it up.

That said, September could have some rain in those parts of the peninsula so this may not be the best suggestion.

All your points can be transferred to Singapore Krisflyer. If you can find availability (sounds like it's a solo trip?) on a pure Singapore/SilkAir itinerary, their awards can be good value. Really depends on where you're departing from though.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. It is not a solo trip, I will be with my wife.

With regards to Phuket and prostitution, I'm thinking of going to one of the islands off the coast, not necessarily the city itself. Plus plenty of options flying into HKT.

I don't mind taking the train, just need to make sure I have an airport nearby that I can return from.

Is it rainy in all parts of SE Asia during Sept?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by mikeyjones4652
Thanks for all the input. It is not a solo trip, I will be with my wife.

With regards to Phuket and prostitution, I'm thinking of going to one of the islands off the coast, not necessarily the city itself. Plus plenty of options flying into HKT.

I don't mind taking the train, just need to make sure I have an airport nearby that I can return from.

Is it rainy in all parts of SE Asia during Sept?
No, not all of SE Asia will be rainy. Especially down the Malay peninsula, the rain is often limited to one side depending on the season.

Since you'll be in the region anyways, you could consider flying into Krabi or Koh Samui. Koh Samui is in the Gulf of Thailand and is probably your best bet weather-wise in September.

I personally despise Chaweng on Samui but other parts of the island are nice. Maybe something like 3 days in Singapore, 4 days in Penang and a week on Koh Samui would be a good itinerary. USM on Samui has okay international access but plenty of flights to the big regional hubs.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:50 am

I would not recommend to use trains unless you are train lover. Just the trips described above will take 2 days off from your time here and if time is limited, just fly with LLCs.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by invisible
I would not recommend to use trains unless you are train lover. Just the trips described above will take 2 days off from your time here and if time is limited, just fly with LLCs.
If the plan is to go all the way into Thailand, I would agree. But on the KL/Ipoh/Butterworth route I think trains are a much more interesting way to get around.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:12 am
Original Poster

I was leaning toward Koh Samui. Is it possible to do that as a first destination for a week? I assume the only way of getting to the island is doing bus + ferry from HKT?

What other sightseeing city(ies) can I pair that with nearby?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:19 am

I was leaning toward Koh Samui. Is it possible to do that as a first destination for a week? I assume the only way of getting to the island is doing bus + ferry from HKT?

What other sightseeing city(ies) can I pair that with nearby?
Koh Samui has an airport. There are flights to SIN, BKK and KUL but if you're using miles the only real option is TG through BKK. SilkAir serves USM from SIN but you can only redeem for that if you're using SQ miles. Otherwise just buy a ticket on Bangkok Airways.

There's really nothing near Samui but other islands. You could do a day trip out to the Ang Thong National Park (karst islands in the Gulf of Thailand) but there aren't any cities nearby other than Surat Thani but...meh. Not really worth it unless you have to spend a night there in transit.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

What about flying from Ko Samui to KUL/SIN for the other week? Thinking about splitting it 4 days in KUL and 3 days in SIN?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:01 pm

What about flying from Ko Samui to KUL/SIN for the other week? Thinking about splitting it 4 days in KUL and 3 days in SIN?
That's certainly feasible. Personally I'd do a week in Koh Samui followed by 4 days in Penang and 3 in SIN but that's just me. KL is nice but didn't grab me as much as the other two. There are non-stop flights from USM to PEN.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:21 pm

Trust me, KL does not worth time spent there.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
Trust me, KL does not worth time spent there.
+1

It's not a bad city but I wouldn't make it a priority.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
You can get a lot of rain in September West Coast Thailand - Phuket / Islands / Krabi.

If you are looking for beach in September with some great value places, jump on a flight to Lombok... perfect weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.