Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Farquhar's Bar, Eastern & Oriental Hotel, George Town, Penang, Malaysia [REVIEW]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Farquhar's Bar, Eastern & Oriental Hotel, George Town, Penang, Malaysia [REVIEW]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:32 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery

July 2015, Dinner, Drinks

One evening during our stay in George Town, Penang, Malaysia we had dinner and drinks at Farquhar’s Bar at the Eastern & Oriental.

Please see also the reviews on FT for the Shangri-La Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa, The Ferringhi Grill at Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa, the Blue Mansion – A Cheong Fatt Tze Legacy and Sarkies Corner at the E&O.

The bar is small, intimate and has a cozy atmosphere.

We arrived just in time for Happy Hour – there’s a list of liquors and a daily changing cocktail, in our case the Blue Lagoon -, but there was nothing we really fancied, so we had a look at the a la carte menu instead.

We chose a cocktail, Acqua Panna, hot chocolate and a Kahlua. We also had tapas, some of them were a chicken quesadilla and bangers and mash. The food was tasty and kept up with overall Colonial style of the Bar and the famous E&O Hotel.

Our bar tender had to check if the still water was available due to the large wedding party I mentioned in the Sarkies Corner review. We were lucky.

The meal was delicious and the service and value was good, while the setting is memorable.

We would return for a drink and snack should we return to George Town.

Would we recommend this Bar to a friend? YES! ^
Would we want to visit this Bar in our future? YES! ^

Thank you and safe travels.
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 12:24 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uggboy
July 2015, Dinner, Drinks

One evening during our stay in George Town, Penang, Malaysia we had dinner and drinks at Farquhar’s Bar at the Eastern & Oriental.

Please see also the reviews on FT for the Shangri-La Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa, The Ferringhi Grill at Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa, the Blue Mansion – A Cheong Fatt Tze Legacy and Sarkies Corner at the E&O.

The bar is small, intimate and has a cozy atmosphere.

We arrived just in time for Happy Hour – there’s a list of liquors and a daily changing cocktail, in our case the Blue Lagoon -, but there was nothing we really fancied, so we had a look at the a la carte menu instead.

We chose a cocktail, Acqua Panna, hot chocolate and a Kahlua. We also had tapas, some of them were a chicken quesadilla and bangers and mash. The food was tasty and kept up with overall Colonial style of the Bar and the famous E&O Hotel.

Our bar tender had to check if the still water was available due to the large wedding party I mentioned in the Sarkies Corner review. We were lucky.

The meal was delicious and the service and value was good, while the setting is memorable.

We would return for a drink and snack should we return to George Town.

Would we recommend this Bar to a friend? YES! ^
Would we want to visit this Bar in our future? YES! ^

Thank you and safe travels.
While staying at the Shangri-La Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa, my wife and I went into George Town to have a look around and spotted the E&O and its striking colonial facade. It was a very hot December day, so we decided to take a break from the heat and went inside. There was a large Christmas tree in the lobby and a wonderful gift shop with lots of locally-crafted goods and friendly staff. Although the hotel and bar interior was very attractive, we opted to sit outside in the shade next to the pool with an excellent view of the Strait of Malacca and its passing ships. We didn't partake of the bar's signature cocktails but only drank beer and wine and ordered a couple of side dishes, but I concur with you, the bar is very nice and I recommend it too. It was a beautiful hour spent and made me want to stay in this hotel someday. I took some photos that I wanted to post but I can't find them now, so I took a photo of this dog-eared coaster from the bar that I keep next to my PC. I pocketed the two that we used because I liked their design and they now have sentimental value. This is the only one that remains and I still use it from time to time. I can't wait to go back.

Dog-eared drink coaster from the Eastern & Oriental Hotel in George Town, Penang, Malaysia

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Feb 6, 2021 at 1:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.