Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cambodia Suggestions Please

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Why on earth do you want to be there so early ?
To beat the crowds... sunrise is 5:45. I thought beating the tour buses meant 6-8 am? That is assuming its open of course...Then want to have the rest of the day free!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by ung1
To beat the crowds... sunrise is 5:45. I thought beating the tour buses meant 6-8 am? That is assuming its open of course...Then want to have the rest of the day free!
Go at 4:30PM - there will be very few people left. Drive back to Angkor for sunset (if there is any). You can do the landmine museum on the way over (well worth it). Absolute waste of time to go early.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by erik123
Go at 4:30PM - there will be very few people left. Drive back to Angkor for sunset (if there is any). You can do the landmine museum on the way over (well worth it). Absolute waste of time to go early.
So, an east facing temple should be seen in the afternoon?

Pshaw.

There's a reason few will people will be there at that time. A very good reason.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: various
With such a short time in the area, I think you should jettison Koh Ker entirely, too much transport time for too little benefit. That may also help your planning fall into place. Beng Melea I'd keep in (has its own ticket not part of the Pass). Banteay Srei is definitely a morning temple. In rainy season, it's pretty futile to try to catch an Angkor sunrise with all the the cloud cover. Many rise early to try, few are rewarded.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:47 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
A quick update. It was no problem entering Banteay Srei at 6.30, an hour before opening. Indeed the whole lighting from the East/ West makes no difference these days when the sky is overcast all day. However, being the only one in Banteay Srei was amazing (it is very small and a few other people means pictures will not be people-free). The police/security/guide offered VIP access for a "tip" into the cordonned off area where visitors are not permitted - which I guess doesn't work as soon as there are more people. By 7.15 there were already several people making their way in. So very glad I was on the road at 5!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A quick update. It was no problem entering Banteay Srei at 6.30, an hour before opening. Indeed the whole lighting from the East/ West makes no difference these days when the sky is overcast all day. However, being the only one in Banteay Srei was amazing (it is very small and a few other people means pictures will not be people-free). The police/security/guide offered VIP access for a "tip" into the cordonned off area where visitors are not permitted - which I guess doesn't work as soon as there are more people. By 7.15 there were already several people making their way in. So very glad I was on the road at 5!
The last couple of days have been overcast, prior this at least a week of nice morning sun followed by afternoon clouds.

That's not necessarily a rainy season phenomena, it's much more sporadic. Unfortunately for you it's now.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:18 am

A quick update. It was no problem entering Banteay Srei at 6.30, an hour before opening. Indeed the whole lighting from the East/ West makes no difference these days when the sky is overcast all day.
At 5PM there is also no-one left. Whole week has been mostly overcast in the AM and late PM.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Transportation and money questions

My husband and I are visiting in early Nov. We have a few days in Phnom Pen, a few days in Siem Reap and an overnight for Preah Vihear.

1. How best to get around in PP and SR? Is Tuk Tuk the best option? Do we need to prebook the ride from the PP airport? do most hotels help book Tuk Tuk?

2. We had planned to fly from PP to SR. Unfortunately, the non-stop flights no longer available. Which is a better option the boat from PP or a taxi?

3. How do we hire a car and driver for the treck to PV and how much should we expect to pay for the two days?

4. An old FT thread recommends bring a lot $1 bills. Is this still the case? some prices seem still quoted in $US, do we need to pay in $US? With that, how much local money to get from the ATM?

Many Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:36 pm

1. Tuk-tuk should be okay. Walking also works, depending on distance. Many hotels have a free pickup service.

2. Bus. Really, none of the airlines fly this route anymore???

3. I cant help you

4. I think the $1 bill thing is old. They take dollars everywhere. ATMs dispense US dollars. You can use 1000 riel for 25 cents, which can help when bargaining. Maybe so you don't get a $3 tuk-tuk ride and they can't break a $20, then one dollar bills would be useful.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:31 pm

There are flights but not non-stop. I guess the non-stop must have sold out. November must be high season.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
My husband and I are visiting in early Nov. We have a few days in Phnom Pen, a few days in Siem Reap and an overnight for Preah Vihear.

1. How best to get around in PP and SR? Is Tuk Tuk the best option? Do we need to prebook the ride from the PP airport? do most hotels help book Tuk Tuk?

2. We had planned to fly from PP to SR. Unfortunately, the non-stop flights no longer available. Which is a better option the boat from PP or a taxi?

3. How do we hire a car and driver for the treck to PV and how much should we expect to pay for the two days?

4. An old FT thread recommends bring a lot $1 bills. Is this still the case? some prices seem still quoted in $US, do we need to pay in $US? With that, how much local money to get from the ATM?

Many Thanks.
1. No need to prebook a tuk tuk - not aware of a way to do so anyway. Upon arrival you will inundated by both tuk tuk and taxi drivers akin to a gauntlet. Tuk tuks are cheaper outside of the airport (50m walk). Is it too difficult to raise your hand and flag down a tuk tuk... it's literally that easy and most drivers, especially those lingering around hotels, will speak and/or understand English sufficiently to get where you're going. Use landmarks as addresses don't really exist.

2. Forgive my skepticism. Which airlines have you searched and for what day(s)? Yes you can take a bus, Giant Ibis is probably the most expensive at $15 + $1 per direction per person but it's what I'd take if/when I need/ed the bus. Definitely don't take the boat or a taxi unless you can take over an entire Camry 'share' taxi and I wouldn't recommend it without a local fixer.

3. Spend a few hours walking around old town in REP and talk with TAs. Get a feel for what they're asking. Find out if you'll need to pay for the driver's lodging/food etc. The overnight throws a wrench into the mix.

4. Everything is USD and $1 = ~4100 Riel. However in transactions it's effectively $1 = 4000 and change will be given in riel ($0.04 = 100 Riel, the smallest bill). Do not exchange money to procure Riel. Carry small bills, tuk tuks will never have change (or so they say) and having exact fare is good. Carrying a stash of $1s is silly and unecessary, just get change when you purchase goods, at hotel, restos, wherever you can and plan in advance of need.

This is the most important: Know what your fare should be ahead of time. Ask a server at the resto, talk with the front desk of the hotel. Do not get sweet talked by drivers into giving more.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:44 am

Angkor Air looks wide open for November.

Bassaka has availability for every single day in November except Nov 18.

Last edited by CrazyInteg; Aug 15, 2017 at 7:49 am
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg

Precisely.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg

Thank you very much... I did not even know about these two airline, only the one on Orbitz. FTers are awesome!!!!
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you very much... I did not even know about these two airline, only the one on Orbitz. FTers are awesome!!!!
Which airlines does Orbitz sell tickets for on this route?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.