Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Default Yan Ting Restaurant Weekend Dim Sum Brunch Buffet, St Regis Hotel

Default Yan Ting Restaurant Weekend Dim Sum Brunch Buffet, St Regis Hotel

Old Sep 14, 2015, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Yan Ting Restaurant Weekend Dim Sum Brunch Buffet, St Regis Hotel

As you will slowly find out, I am huge fan of food. If the food is of high quality, I am willing to pay for it. I recently went to Yan Ting Restaurant at the St Regis Hotel in Singapore with a friend for the Weekend Dim Sum Brunch Buffet. [You can find a more details (along with photos) at this page on my website].

For many buffets that are offered in Singapore there are quite a number of reviews. However, as Yin Tang doesn't have a huge number of reviews, I will spend some time describing the experience. There are two sittings - 10.30am to 12.30pm and 1pm to 3pm. We chose the 10.30am slot, as it allowed us the whole afternoon to recover. However, we didn't start until after 11am and were worried that around 12.30 we would be kicked out. Never happened. At about 2pm we finally excused ourselves, and not once, did anyone make any comment about us overstaying our welcome. It is probably because the restaurant is not so well patronised that it is full; thus we were able to remain in our seats. From my (one) experience the main "party" brunches took the 12.30pm sitting, and spent most of their time drinking.

This is not a traditional buffet where you go up and pick your own food. This is an a la carte buffet. You like what you see on the menu and you order it.

We went for the Food and Chinese tea option which cost S$108++ per person. I don't want to go into depth with respect the menu. However, there are some points that are worth raising
- Number of servings. When you go to a normal dim sum restaurant and the servings are all set; har kau, siew mai, come in groups of 4. At Yan Ting, you determine the number of servings - only one person in your group like har kau; no problem. Just order one har kau --- yes, that's right. you only need order what you want.
- Specially crafted Delights. These are really very very tasty, as would be expected given the title - one is a double boiled abalone soup; the other is a wok baked boston lobster. You don't really get a choice as to when these appear -- they just do. Just don't go and stuff your faces with other food and forget about these though!!! They are worth eating on a reasonably empty stomach.
- Roasted meat. Avoid. Of all the dishes I had here, this was the only (and the hence the most) disappointing. The meat in general tasted like it had been hanging around for a few days. It was tough and generally unappealing. Though the crispy roast pork was excellent.
- Save room for desert. We almost made the mistake of ploughing through the entire menu several times and forgetting about desert. While the desert is not the stand out part of the meal, it would seem churlish to not at least try to get through some of the sweet offerings.

While this is called a dim sum brunch, the reality is that dim sum only makes up about 10% of the whole menu. It is really a Cantonese buffet brunch with a reasonable element of dim sum.

We went for the Food and Chinese tea option which cost S$108++ per person; the others include House Wines, Beer, Soft Drink and Juice (S$148++); "R" de Ruinart Brut, House Wines, Beer, Soft Drink and Juice (S$168++); Child (S$53++) - 4 -12 years old.

Certainly, I wouldn't describe myself as a dim sum aficionado, and there are plenty of other very good dim sum eateries that are significantly cheaper. However, for a special occasion it is very difficult to beat the grandeur of the St Regis hotel.

Last edited by SQTraveller; Sep 21, 2015 at 5:55 am Reason: Title error
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Comprehensive existing thread in the Singapore forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...?highlight=sum
Old Sep 26, 2015, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Comprehensive existing thread in the Singapore forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...?highlight=sum
Thanks very much for the comments. I am happy for this to be moved. However, I would say that this isn't a typical dim sum restaurant. My review does say that dim sum makes up a small portion of the entire menu; which would lead me say it should have it's own thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.