Wiki Posts
Search

SGN - Immigration, Customs and Security Pathetic

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
SGN - Immigration, Customs and Security Pathetic

Is it just me or does anyone else think SGN is an incredibly traveler unfriendly and poorly run airport.
  • They never open up extra security, custom, or immigration lines until there is a huge queue.
  • They could easily add extra security lines, but don't do so.
  • The immigration computers are exceptionally slow.
  • The VOA system is imbecilic and could be replaced with a system that saves everyone time and money.
  • There are very limited (and totally arbitrary) priority lines at security.
  • The attitude of the staff is usually very unprofessional.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Believe me there's much worse than SGN…
But, I was there 3 weeks ago and indeed, I found the ops pretty inefficient. Inbound was OK for immigration (in the afternoon), but outbound was another story. Despite a relatively early time on a sunday morning (7 am), the terminal was very busy and lines at immigration and security were very long and extremely slow. And no SkyPriority for immigration and security; which is a shame for a Skyteam hub (VN). And, yes, the staff is pretty rude.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:27 pm

I love the location. I've never had a problem with SGN, but I've also never flown long-haul into SGN.

You will probably be happier when they build the new airport though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Th...tional_Airport
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:24 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Originally Posted by 5khours
Is it just me or does anyone else think SGN is an incredibly traveler unfriendly and poorly run airport.
  • They never open up extra security, custom, or immigration lines until there is a huge queue.
  • They could easily add extra security lines, but don't do so.
  • The immigration computers are exceptionally slow.
  • The VOA system is imbecilic and could be replaced with a system that saves everyone time and money.
  • There are very limited (and totally arbitrary) priority lines at security.
  • The attitude of the staff is usually very unprofessional.
Although SGN is far from the best, I have seen many that are much worse than SGN.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I love the location. I've never had a problem with SGN, but I've also never flown long-haul into SGN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Th...tional_Airport
Exchanging 30 minutes waiting in queue for an extra 30 minutes in a taxi doesn't really float my boat.

The current problems at SGN have nothing to do with facilities. It is entirely a people (bureaucracy) problem.

Although SGN is far from the best, I have seen many that are much worse than SGN.
Totally agree with that, but the Vietnamese normally do things pretty efficiently. IMHO the problem is that the delta between private and governmental competency is extremely high in VN.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I'm not sure at all. The current international terminal is quite recent (I think it opened in 2007 or 2008) and it's very acceptable in term of design. The problems we are mentioning here have nothing to do with a terminal design problem.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Exchanging 30 minutes waiting in queue for an extra 30 minutes in a taxi doesn't really float my boat.
Here here. (or is it hear hear)

I love the location of the current SGN.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsquared37

Totally agree. One of the best big city airport locations anywhere. The international terminal is very new and nice. The problem is just with the government bureaucrats running things.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by dsquared37

Totally agree. One of the best big city airport locations anywhere. The international terminal is very new and nice. The problem is just with the government bureaucrats running things.
+1
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:05 pm
Suspended

although the lines took forever, didnt realize till it was too late that a non-Asean person could use any lane and not only the ones marked for Foreigners.

But Ive waited alot longer at LHR when I didnt have Fast Track or it was closed already. And Ive waited way longer at many US Gateways

Departure took < 5 mins

I guess its best to arrive very late at night and leave very early in the morn, the place was empty during those times
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Not really. But after a recent episode, I'd happily put that sticker on MIA
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:43 am

FWIW, the new airport will most likely be voted down at the next People's Committee meeting in June.

And like others have chimed in, while SGN has its fault, it is hardly the worst in Asia. Recent inefficiency and slow pace may be due to raised alert after MH370's disappearance and stolen passport debacle.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Not really. But after a recent episode, I'd happily put that sticker on MIA
I agree.^
Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Au, IHG Pt, Marriott Au, All others base metal
Originally Posted by craz
I guess its best to arrive very late at night and leave very early in the morn, the place was empty during those times
This is good to hear as my UA flights later on are exactly at these times.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: Mekong Club
Believe me, SGN is still better than HAN. The main problem is people. Vietnamese officers and state-owned company's staff nearly couldn't be fired even when they don't do their jobs well. They have no motivation to make everything more effective. They need to be pushed by something like pressure from public or patriosm or both. Some critical article/story on international media such as WSJ BBC CNN... can force them do everything thoughtfully in a few months. Afterward, they need another wave of articles/stories.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.