Wiki Posts
Search

Recommended Driver in Siem Reap/Angkor Cambodia

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
^^
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:19 am

I recently booked Synon for a day at Koh Ker and a few spots near there. I emailed him about 3 weeks before the trip and he confirmed the date quickly. When we later emailed about a pickup time, again he was very prompt in his reply and confirmation. He gave me some suggestions, too. He confirmed through email the day before the trip and was waiting outside my hotel when I walked out a few minutes early. So far, so good.

We had a very pleasant conversation on the way up. But I got the impression that maybe he had not slept so well the night before. He veered a little often, and at one point veered so far left in the opposite lane with a truck coming toward us that I instinctively just grabbed the wheel and turned it back. He then thanked me and said something like "That could have been bad." He just seemed tired. We stopped at a couple places where the drivers hang out while the tourists explore. Every time I came back he was napping in a hammock. On the way back to Siem Reap he was much better. He was attentive and drove in a straight line, so it seems like the napping helped.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:36 am

Another excellent experience with Synon

We were in Siem Reap for 4 days in March, 2019 and used Synon for airport transfers and a trip to Ankor Wat and other temples. He was everything you'd want in a driver: easy to contact before your trip; prompt; dependable; honest, and helpful with a variety of travel tasks. For example, he helped us find an excellent local laundry that did 2 KG of laundry for the same price that the Park Hyatt charges for one t-shirt. .

I also highly recommend Siem Reap Food Tours. We've taken a lot of food tours, in Asia and Europe, and Steven's morning tour was one of the very very best. (We made a mistake and only booked the morning tour; I expect the evening one is also great.)
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by lhmpdx
We were in Siem Reap for 4 days in March, 2019 and used Synon for airport transfers and a trip to Ankor Wat and other temples. He was everything you'd want in a driver: easy to contact before your trip; prompt; dependable; honest, and helpful with a variety of travel tasks. For example, he helped us find an excellent local laundry that did 2 KG of laundry for the same price that the Park Hyatt charges for one t-shirt. .

I also highly recommend Siem Reap Food Tours. We've taken a lot of food tours, in Asia and Europe, and Steven's morning tour was one of the very very best. (We made a mistake and only booked the morning tour; I expect the evening one is also great.)
We did the evening one; it was great.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by SeeSharpNL
Wanted to add another positive review for Synon.

We hired Synon at short notice over Chinese New Year and had a wonderful experience. We were extremely lucky to find him available for two and a half days. Synon is very responsive, reliable, and flexible, and provides great service. For the half day that he was already booked, he arranged a substitute driver for us.

He has a comfortable car, always well-stocked with cold water and towels.

Synon was happy to think through itineraries with us and suggested some local stops/delicacies along the way. We went to the floating village of Kampong Khleang (worth the extra distance over the other two options), and took him along on a boat trip, which he seemed to genuinely enjoy.

You can check out his website: Good Car Driver in Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia
We had a great experience simply exchanging emails: [email protected]
Link doesn't work?

We are looking at 4 days. Angkor Wat and other things to see around Siem Reap. Approx how much for his services/car etc?

Is he just a driver? Does he do tour guide info at sights?
Old May 12, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Link works fine for me. But no 2019 rates posted (and the 2018 rates page just has a map, I don't see prices....)
Old May 14, 2019, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Link works fine for me. But no 2019 rates posted (and the 2018 rates page just has a map, I don't see prices....)
Link works now. Thanks.

I got quote from the Park Hyatt. They have a luxury $ component added I think.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:47 am

We're staying at the Park Hyatt. But will *not* be booking anything through them ;-)
Old May 14, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Link works now. Thanks.

I got quote from the Park Hyatt. They have a luxury $ component added I think.
I believe his rates are $25-35 / day depending on where you want to go (more for Koh Ker, Kulen etc).
Drivers are not permitted to enter temples and guide.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by price123
I believe his rates are $25-35 / day depending on where you want to go (more for Koh Ker, Kulen etc).
Drivers are not permitted to enter temples and guide.
Thanks for the info.

I just heard back from him too and this was the approximate cost.

Does he give you information like a guide or does he just drive you from A to B.

How would we get an Angkor Wat guide if he cannot enter?

THanks
Old May 16, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
You can book a guide for around $25 I think (Synon can help with this). He will tell you things (though we tend to talk about family or try to learn Khmer) but he is not allowed in the temples.

If you, or anyone else, is interested in a cooking class, Secrets of Khmer cuisine is great - Somontha cooked for the King and uses to be head chef at the Aman.

At the Park Hyatt, the rice noodle experience is good.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I booked Synon for $35 a day and a bit more if we go to temples further out. He will get an Angkor Wat guide for me for $35.

The Park Hyatt quoted $203 plus 17.5% tax for 2 people for Full day tour Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom & Ta Prohm.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
We were in Siem Reap for 4 nights and I had had Synon for 3 days plus the airport pick up and drop off, so essentially 5 days. This is low season for Siem Reap, so I was able to book with Synon a week before we arrived.

We had Synon arrange for a guide on first full day for Angkor Wat, Ta Prohm and Angkor Thom. $35 each for Synon and the guide. The guide was new to Synon but excellent and very knowledgeable about the places we visited and what the wall carvings meant. I highly recommend getting a guide for this particular itinerary. Guides have to be certified by the government ($3K fee for certification) and it's not possible for Synon to be a guide since he did not go to college, so anyone who's wondering why Synon can't also be a guide can put this issue to rest.

We did Koh Ker and Beng Mealea the second day and it was $100. The third day was Tonle Sap Lake, $45. The water level of the lake was very low, up to 30 ft below high points, end of dry season before monsoons. It would be interesting to see the lake when it's full.

Auto import duties are extremely high in Cambodia. They import very old used Lexus SUVs from California and 2003 Lexus RX300 still cost a whopping $17K, Blue Book value in the US is ~$5K.

Synon did not ask for payment for pick up and drop off. But since he could use the money during low season and sparse bookings, I paid him enough tip to cover the cost.

I would highly recommend Synon to anyone looking for a driver in Siem Reap.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I booked Synon for 3 days recently when my husband and I visited. When I booked via email after a recommendation here he answered me promptly in the evenings (after a day of touring I assume) and his answers were easy to understand. We arranged 3 days similar to CIT85 above. $35 a day for Angkor Wat and other close temples, an extra $10 on top of the $35 for the 4.45 am pick up the next day to see the sunrise at Angkor Wat and $100 to visit temples far away during an 8 hour day. We paid for the entry fees ourselves.

I asked about a guide and he organised one for $35 a day. Khun was a certified Angkor Wat guide and wore a uniform as did the majority of the guides working at the temples. He was very knowledgeable. Some words were hard to understand but after a hour or two we got used to it. He was happy to answer anything about his country. Both Synon and Khun spoke excellent English. Here and there we all had to ask for something to be repeated. They did like a joke and we had a lot of fun.

Synon always offered cold water and a cold towel on arriving back at the car. He and the guide would always open the car doors for us and as I have a hip issue my mobility isn't that great and they both were concerned that I was managing and asked if I needed help or needed toilet stops. Khun would help me down the stairs at the temples, of which there are many! He would happily scramble up stairs with my husband when he wanted to climb the temples as I waited below.

I have no hesitation in recommending him and like the fact that the cost of the tour goes directly to him. Many Cambodian folks are suffering and need our support so please tip what you can.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:41 pm

We'll be in Siem Reap at the end of August. We're doing a river cruise from HCMC to PP then flying (with the group) to SR. So some of our Siem Reap touring will be included in the river cruise. We're staying an extra day and a half on our own - but we aren't sure what we'll have already seen OR how much more we'll want to see. How far in advance would I need to book Synon, do you think? Anyone know - if he is booked, if he has others he'd recommend? Thanks! [I know I'm asking for guesses]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.