Wiki Posts
Search

Overnight Transit through Taipei Airport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E, Delta, JAL, ANA
Overnight Transit through Taipei Airport

I've only used TPE twice. Once for a visit to the city and once in transit. This next S/O is overnight for 9 hours. Prices of the Novotel and Evergreen's Transit hotel being what they are, can anyone tell me if it's worth the effort and savings to taxi to an off airport hotel and back. The departing flight's at 7:00 in late Dec. Do I have to take my luggage with me except if I use the transit hotel? Hoping someone who has flown to/via this airport more than me can help out on this.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by RTW puppy
I've only used TPE twice. Once for a visit to the city and once in transit. This next S/O is overnight for 9 hours. Prices of the Novotel and Evergreen's Transit hotel being what they are, can anyone tell me if it's worth the effort and savings to taxi to an off airport hotel and back. The departing flight's at 7:00 in late Dec. Do I have to take my luggage with me except if I use the transit hotel? Hoping someone who has flown to/via this airport more than me can help out on this.
It's about less than one hour drive into town with normal traffic, and taxi fare about NT$1000-1200 each way. I would just stay at airport hotel. And there is no place to store luggage, maybe you can check through to final destination?

i also suggested to moderator to move your query to the Asia thread...you'll bet more responses there
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott/IHG Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RTW puppy
This next S/O is overnight for 9 hours. Prices of the Novotel and Evergreen's Transit hotel being what they are, can anyone tell me if it's worth the effort and savings to taxi to an off airport hotel and back. The departing flight's at 7:00 in late Dec. Do I have to take my luggage with me except if I use the transit hotel? Hoping someone who has flown to/via this airport more than me can help out on this.
What's your purpose here? What day of the week do you travel?

If you just want to rest/sleep, then I think transit hotel is a better choice, given that you have a very early departure schedule. Traveling to Taipei will cost more in term of taxi and room, unless you are willing to stay at some local hotels (there are some very good ones indeed but require more homework) You can also find hotels near Taoyuan/Chungli, but the saving isn't much anyway.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E, Delta, JAL, ANA
Smile more Overnight Transit

Originally Posted by dtsm
Maybe you can check through to final destination?
Yes I can, and I'm on BR so I can use the transit hotel according to the rules.

Originally Posted by YoYoGodMom
What's your purpose here? What day of the week do you travel?
The purpose is to make sure my selection is the right one. I depart on Thursday, Dec. 26th.

Originally Posted by YoYoGodMom
If you just want to rest/sleep, then I think transit hotel is a better choice, given that you have a very early departure schedule. You can also find hotels near Taoyuan, but the saving isn't much anyway.
Exactly as I thought, the amount one can save is hardly worth the trip and my departure's too early to enjoy breakfast at the Novotel -I checked.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:44 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Asia Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:36 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Priority Club Platinum, AA, USAir, ANA,
Not sure how the Evergreen Transit hotel is, but the Novotel is very nice for a short stay with a great breakfast spread. Novotel provide free shuttles but not sure if you even want to deal with that for the short 9-hour stay.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: most of them
I'm at the Novotel right now. You can't get any closer to the airport. It's a very nice hotel. I'm on a prepaid rate that was about US$130. But I am here for about 14 hours. A 7 AM flight is very early. I would check to see if the hotel's shuttle runs early enough before I booked.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I'm at the Novotel right now. You can't get any closer to the airport. It's a very nice hotel. I'm on a prepaid rate that was about US$130. But I am here for about 14 hours. A 7 AM flight is very early. I would check to see if the hotel's shuttle runs early enough before I booked.
Do you happen to have any observations on how easy it would be to get from the Novotel to the city using public transit?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, PC Plat, lots of miles but no status w/ usual *A, OW & ST suspects
This thread helped me change my mind -- was going to stay at Novotel for a 9-hour overnight (arrive at 10 p.m., depart at 8:30 a.m. next morning, but figured I'd endure hours for customs/immigration/baggage/checking back in.

Reservation was easy enough via email. Overnights require 24 hour rates, unfortunately. That said, does anyone know if there'll be any issues with keeping our bags checked through to the final destination? I'm assuming we won't have to pick up bags given that we're really just transiting (albeit a very long transit).
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, JAL Sapphire
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Do you happen to have any observations on how easy it would be to get from the Novotel to the city using public transit?
I think some of the buses that depart/arrive at the airport also stops by the Novotel on the way. But I think it will depend on where you want to go in the city. Best to check with the hotel.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by gster78
This thread helped me change my mind -- was going to stay at Novotel for a 9-hour overnight (arrive at 10 p.m., depart at 8:30 a.m. next morning, but figured I'd endure hours for customs/immigration/baggage/checking back in.

Reservation was easy enough via email. Overnights require 24 hour rates, unfortunately. That said, does anyone know if there'll be any issues with keeping our bags checked through to the final destination? I'm assuming we won't have to pick up bags given that we're really just transiting (albeit a very long transit).
It might vary depending on which airline you fly (i.e. if they can check your bags straight through to your final destination) but certainly when I've flown with Eva Air, I didn't have to collect my bag. I arrived at 11pm, stayed at the Novotel and left at 3pm the next afternoon. All very easy. The only "issue" was a huge (noisy) queue at Immigration when I arrived at 11pm as apparently a plane chartered by a Chinese tour group landed at the same time.
Old May 10, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, hyatt GP
Got same situation with OP, will transit thursday 10pm until friday 9am in TPE. Is it better for me to stay at novotel TPE or hotel in the city (so i can visit the night market n little sightseeing Taipei 101 maybe)? Is it worth it to go to the city around thu midnight?
Old May 11, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by Bidu
Got same situation with OP, will transit thursday 10pm until friday 9am in TPE. Is it better for me to stay at novotel TPE or hotel in the city (so i can visit the night market n little sightseeing Taipei 101 maybe)? Is it worth it to go to the city around thu midnight?
Not in my opinion. This is also assuming that you'd go to your hotel first to check in and drop off luggage and then go out to the nearest night market at that point. It's been a few years since I've spent significant time in Taipei but the night markets were pretty quiet around that time. I was never at a night market past the last MRT trains, so that gives you a sense of their hours.
Old May 11, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by Bidu
Given the timing I would just head to the hotel and relax. Depending on where you're coming from you might not have a lot of energy anyway. The airport's not exactly right in the city either. And the 101 observation floor closes at 10, I believe.

If your flight is at 9 you'll need to be at the airport a good bit before then. The Novotel is very nice. Make sure you get on the shuttle schedule for the morning as they don't run super frequently and the bus isn't that big. But it's only about a 5 minute drive from the first terminal it stops at.
Old May 11, 2014, 5:03 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
Not in my opinion. This is also assuming that you'd go to your hotel first to check in and drop off luggage and then go out to the nearest night market at that point. It's been a few years since I've spent significant time in Taipei but the night markets were pretty quiet around that time. I was never at a night market past the last MRT trains, so that gives you a sense of their hours.
There's one night market close to the Taipei train station (is it Ningxia?) that closes at least as late as midnight, maybe 01:00.

Other than that, I was in a similar situation a few months ago. I had a few hours to kill, between 01:00 and 05:00, and had a peaceful wander around the train station. Not much was open, besides convenience stores, internet cafes and some fast food places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.