Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Ask me about Pakistan (Islamabad mainly, Lahore a bit, Karachi - can find out more)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask me about Pakistan (Islamabad mainly, Lahore a bit, Karachi - can find out more)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, QR Silver, CX Gold, AMEX Plat, AMEX Gold

Hi,

I realise that Pakistan is not exactly on the list of many peoples travels nowadays, unless you are part of an INGO, a development consultant, embassy staff, journalist, etc, but I thought I should offer to contribute in whichever way I can, given all the excellent information and tips that I have gathered browsing around these forums.

I am mostly familiar with the capital city, Islamabad, its twin, Rawalpindi, bits about Lahore and some parts of Karachi. But if you have any questions feel free to ask and I should be able to find an answer.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Sorry for digging out a very old thread. Pakistan apparently gets very little coverage.

Maybe the OP or anybody can still advise on Lahore and Islamabad. I'll be flying in on a Sunday to LHE, leave Thursday from ISB. How would you split the time in Pakistan? Stay in both cities, go to another place inbetween?

Any hotel recommendations for the cities? TP is a little vague.

Would you recommend to book a guided tour or go explore on your own?

Thank you!
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Sorry for digging out a very old thread. Pakistan apparently gets very little coverage.

Maybe the OP or anybody can still advise on Lahore and Islamabad. I'll be flying in on a Sunday to LHE, leave Thursday from ISB. How would you split the time in Pakistan? Stay in both cities, go to another place inbetween?

Any hotel recommendations for the cities? TP is a little vague.

Thank you!
Hi, Lahore is the cultural hub and a much larger city with a lot to do. I would give more time to Lahore. Islamabad is a new planned city so if you enjoy to more sterile modern look then it is nice, but you may find that it is a bit dull. Islamabad would also be a bit more expensive as compared to Lahore. What Islamabad does have for it is that it is on the foothills of the Margalla's which are the pre-Himalayan range so much greener and photogenic. A motorway links the two cities and the "Daewoo bus service" (ask anyone, they will know) is probabably the most comfortable and reliable. Takes 3.45 hours. The train is for the more adventurous. It too is comfortable but takes longer and the terminus is in Rawalpindi rather than Islamabad so you will need to make your way to Islamabad on your own, thats about 30 minutes. For hotels really depends on your budget...
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:45 am

Thank you! That was my impression. I thought about going Wed early morning to ISB - leaving half a day there for a quick tour - and staying the rest of the time in Lahore.
Hotel budget isn't an issue - it should just be very centrally located, thought about the Pearl Continental.
Would you recommend to arrange a city tour? Is it easy to walk around to the city sights?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Yes Pearl Continental or Avari in Lahore, Mariott Islamabad or Serena Islamabad would be a better option there. There is also a Best Western and then a host of other local hotels/guest houses. The PC is in Rawalpindi and if your visa is stamped "no entry into cantonment area" then the PC is located within one so may be a problem. Sites in Lahore are walkable but a lot of construction work going on so pretty crazy. If the hotel arranges tours I would take that or you could book an Uber or Careem (local equivalent) and ask them to take you around. Venturing out alone may be overwhelming especially if you are short on time. Old Lahore is very easy to get lost in. Rickshaws are the go to to get around. Islamabad has patch public transport, they are a few sites which a cab, Uber, Careem can take you around. Note though that Lahore at the moment is engulfed in severe smog. I believe it is meant to rain any day now, but until then it is pretty miserable.
Chinatrvl likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:30 am

I travel here a couple of times a year (Islamabad that is) and to be honest, I quite like it. For those of a nervous disposition, it can be daunting, but get into it, and there are some great restaurants, and the hotel I stay at (Marriot) is top notch.
The staff are only too willing to be of assistance, and oh so friendly.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by tezzer
I travel here a couple of times a year (Islamabad that is) and to be honest, I quite like it. For those of a nervous disposition, it can be daunting, but get into it, and there are some great restaurants, and the hotel I stay at (Marriot) is top notch.
The staff are only too willing to be of assistance, and oh so friendly.
Thank you. Any particular restaurant recommendations ins Islamabad? My trip has been postponed to next year, tough.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:41 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

How's the metro system construction in Lahore coming along?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
How's the metro system construction in Lahore coming along?
Do you mean the bus system? That is done. The rail system should be working by early Spring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.