Search

Tour guide in Laos

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Disney
Tour guide in Laos

Hi,

I usually travel on my own but am thinking about hiring someone as I only have three days and want a smooth trip. Anyone have a recommendation for a good guide based in Vientiane?

Merci!
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:13 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion as the thread moves to the Asia forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:04 am

Try Luxury Travel Vietnam who have a Laos office (simple google search should get you there). They have dedicated guides on staff (not just hiring random guides off the street as I feared). They can set up an itinerary for you or just let you go along as you please and help out, which is my peferred way to explore.

Cheers!
Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:07 pm

I just recently (two weeks ago or so) spent three days in Vientiane solo. While I did end up meeting some people (both foreigners and locals), I found it very manageable by myself. There are a couple key sights to check out, but overall I found it to be a very laid back city that was fun to wander around, eat, drink, and actually had a surprisingly entertaining nightlife.

Regardless of a guide or not, hopefully you enjoy and if you have any questions let me know!
Old Aug 23, 2013, 1:03 am

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by Ahuch
... SNIP ...

Regardless of a guide or not, hopefully you enjoy and if you have any questions let me know!
Which city has more of interest to tourists: Vientiane or Luang Prabang?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
Luang Prabang
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
Luang Prabang for sure. I still really liked Vientiane, though.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by 31570324
Luang Prabang
Originally Posted by Ahuch
Luang Prabang for sure. I still really liked Vientiane, though.
Unfortunately, the GF and I only have about 7 days to spend in Laos and we don't want to waste a lot of time in transit. So, Luang Prabang it is. Thanks for the feedback to such a broad question.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: most of them
It's a very short flight between LPQ and VTE so transit time is not really an issue.

I really preferred Luang Prabang as well, but there are some things worth seeing in Vientiane as well.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by glennaa11
It's a very short flight between LPQ and VTE so transit time is not really an issue.

I really preferred Luang Prabang as well, but there are some things worth seeing in Vientiane as well.
Looks like I have to visit both VTE and LPQ on my coming visit to Laos. Any problems with money exchange there?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: most of them
My visit was a few years ago (2008 I think) and things change very fast in that part of the world. I don't recall any major issues changing money though. I had prepaid for most of the trip through a travel agent so there weren't many out of pocket expenses. I do remember that it was a whole lot of kip to the dollar though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.