Reload this Page >

Destination Decision? Ko Samui or the Maldives

Old Feb 6, 13, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ALL :)

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are having a hard time picking between Ko Samui or the Maldives. I dive but she does not like to. Which one should we pick? Or should we consider Phuket?

Before doing a week in one of the above we will be doing a week in Bali.

If you have hotel recommendations or activity recommendations for any of the area I would greatly appreciate it as well.

We are stocked up on Hilton and SPG Points, and were considering the Conrad in Bali.

Feel free to Email, PM, or post below, whatever works best for you.
Old Feb 6, 13, 2:35 pm

Don't forget to factor the $$$ land/sea taxi to your Maldives resort into your calculations.

The St. Regis Bali looks fantastic:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/pointm...t-trip-report/
Old Feb 6, 13, 3:05 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
AFAIK you will not find world-class diving at either - the Maldives would have been awesome 10 years ago but coral bleaching has reportedly devastated the reefs. Non-divers (or divers who have never been to a really thriving reef system) would be oblivious to this so it won't matter to your wife. Samui won't have really awesome diving either these days. You'll find dramatic differences in costs between the two, in case that matters. And it's a long way to go to the Maldives. Unless you want to enjoy the bars and moon party scene with the backpacker set, I'd skip Phuket entirely.

Now, if you want all the good stuff, I'd spend more time on Bali - but I'd suggest you get away from the SE corner where most of the mass market tourism is concentrated. Try the north coast - amazingly great diving up there (I'd recommend Menjangen) and not overrun with spoiled college kids.
Old Feb 6, 13, 3:39 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
AXON Award the Conrad Rangali. Whalesharks being spotted regularly. I recommend going there and diving with Whalesharks, and Dining in the Under Sea Restaurant. Other activities might include walking off your over water bungalow into the sea for a quick snorkel.

Phuket and Samui are rather naff compared to this, not a place I would pick to go with the wife again. Activities here include options such as a ping pong ball show and some rather tasty Pad Thai. Ko Tao is much nicer if it is to be Thailand.
Old Feb 6, 13, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
Koh Samui was disappointing. Maldives much nicer.
Old Feb 6, 13, 4:34 pm

Programs: US CP, DL PM, UA Silver, HU/TJ Air Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat (Yay!)
Samui beaches aren't that good, the coral is dead, and there isn't a non-tourist on the island. The Hilton is nice, but doesn't provide anything remotely Thai or unique - might as well be in Cabo.

There are hundreds of better beaches in Asia, you just might have to stray off the path a little bit....
Old Feb 6, 13, 4:43 pm

Love the Maldives! but I'm with on straying off the path.
Old Feb 6, 13, 7:46 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by topmikey View Post
Love the Maldives! but I'm with on straying off the path.
If it's straying off the path I highly recommend Diving Sipidan and Sibuan off Borneo, with a stay onroute with uncle tan http://www.uncletan.com/ fabulous trip... accommodation is located several miles deep into the rainforest in rather basic lodging (your bed is in a cage) think of it is as a reverse zoo.
Old Feb 6, 13, 10:53 pm

If you decide to visit Phuket, you can go a bit north to Khao Lak. From there you can visit the Similan Islands. I enjoyed diving this location.
Old Feb 6, 13, 11:11 pm

What about the Seychelles

Seychelles is best of all worlds. It can be cheap or expensive, it's gorgeous, and you are not confined to one resort, though you can be if you want. The locals are delightful and the food is good. Best of all Emirates flies there. Thailand is great too.
Old Feb 7, 13, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: ALL :)
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt View Post
If it's straying off the path I highly recommend Diving Sipidan and Sibuan off Borneo, with a stay onroute with uncle tan http://www.uncletan.com/ fabulous trip... accommodation is located several miles deep into the rainforest in rather basic lodging (your bed is in a cage) think of it is as a reverse zoo.
I really want to do Sipidan, what other off the beaten path locations would you recommend?
Old Feb 7, 13, 1:24 am

Programs: Clubcarlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire AMB etc.
Diving+Thailand = Koh Tao.
Old Feb 7, 13, 3:45 am

There have been reports that due to rising oceans/climate change it may be just a short while until the Maldives are completely submerged. Perhaps you should see it while you can.
I have lived in SE Asia for 12 years, never been to Samui. Why? See #6, above.
Old Feb 7, 13, 5:39 am

Programs: BA & BD Gold
Originally Posted by heybrian View Post
Seychelles is best of all worlds.
Too near the Somalia for me.
Old Feb 7, 13, 9:12 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread moved to Destinations > Asia forum because the discussion pertains to choosing a destination, rather than to Miles & Points which are discussed in MilesBuzz!

Search this Thread