Need help with North Vietnam Trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2013, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH, AB & CX Gold, SIXT Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, etc.

Hi everybody,

my GF and I will be going to northern Vietnam in late June early July next Year. We flying into and out of HAN and have 12 full days to spend. We don't want to travel around too much, but have a relaxed itinerary instead. I thought about exploring Hanoi for a couple of days and then continuing to Halong Bay / Cat Ba Island to relax at the beach.

How would you split the time between the different locations?

Any recommended activities / places to stay?

Your input is highly appreciated!!!
Old Jan 5, 2013, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Going to North Vietnam for the beach

With 12 days, you can also include a trip to Sapa.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

We are going there because we want to see Halong Bay. As there is sun and water, we thought it might be nice to stay longer then just two or three days...
Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:02 am

Programs: AA, SPG
Me and my wife are going to Vietnam june20-30th. She booked a itinerary with a boutique travel company called Vietnam alive. So far he's booked all flights, personal tours, hotels etc etc. we're doing a junk boat tour in Ha Long bay, but not the blando touristy one according to the owner.

Basically told him we want to see the best Vietnam with beach time at the end and we have a pretty packed trip setup all over Vietnam.

Last edited by Tony3021990; Jan 6, 2013 at 5:08 am
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: various
IMO 12 days for the North is too long. I'd have Hanoi, Halong Bay, Sapa on the list and that's 6-7 days. I'd fly Hanoi-Hue for a couple of days, then ground transport (train, bus, car) to Danang, car to Hoi An for the rest, fly back Danang to Hanoi. Halong Bay is not a beach destination, and while nice to see, doesn't warrant longer than 2 days/1 night or 3 days/2 nights. I don't think the place is all that "relaxing" anymore. Hoi An area has some reasonable beaches which would be better for relaxation for a couple of days, and has the old preserved town and the Cham ruins nearby to boot.

If you insist on staying only in the north and want to see rural areas, villages, mountains, then Sapa, maybe the big waterfall on the Chinese-Viet border, heading all the way out to Dien Bien Phu and back by road would be of interest. And would soak up the rest of the days.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Tony3021990
Me and my wife are going to Vietnam june20-30th. She booked a itinerary with a boutique travel company called Vietnam alive. So far he's booked all flights, personal tours, hotels etc etc. we're doing a junk boat tour in Ha Long bay, but not the blando touristy one according to the owner.

Basically told him we want to see the best Vietnam with beach time at the end and we have a pretty packed trip setup all over Vietnam.
Well of course the owner would say that. Heh-Heh, hate to break it to you, but if you're on a junk boat, it's going to be a tourist boat. Not sure what a "blando" boat is like, but hopefully yours will be at least a decent, comfortable, and safe one. If an upscale tour company, likely it will be an upscale or luxury boat, and perhaps carry only a very small number of passengers making it more exclusive.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Hanoi itself is terribly hot then, hope you don't mind the heat. Agree with the jist above. As an alternative you could even fly to Nha Trang and back for the beach part.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I agree that June/July is pretty bad weather there - very hot/very wet/very humid. Halong Bay is also not the best place to swim - water is quite polluted, and the air is often smoggy.

Personally, I love the city of Hanoi for the chaos of it's city life ( a great walking/exploring city ). Sapa is beautiful/colorful and even the train trip up there is quite interesting in my opinion. Mai Chau is another possibility - the stilt houses and a beautiful/peaceful little green valley.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:18 pm

I agree northern Vietnam is oppressively hot during the summer months, unbearable hot, think 40 c with high humidity. I would definitely go to Sapa to escape the heat and experience interesting tribal culture and mountain scenery. Tam Dao, Chua Huong and Ninh Binh are other possibilities.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Plt, BA, SPG Plt
Halong Bay is a must do and my boat was very comfortable and only had about 15 people. But all the boats sail the same seas, anchor in the same harbors, and we definitely heard the party boats at night.

Sapa is beautiful and if you enjoy trekking, it would be a great way to cool off and take the slow road.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

Hello everybody,

thank you so much for your valuable input. Your feedback made me reconsider my planned trip. As I learned that the beaches in the north are not that good, we decided to fly to Hoi An for six nights. It´s going to be an awesome trip and I am so much looking forward to it !!!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
I've twice taken a day trip to Halong Bay, which I found was enough. There were maybe six of us each time and we had our own boat. I wouldn't be keen on staying overnight, but that's just a personal preference.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I've twice taken a day trip to Halong Bay, which I found was enough. There were maybe six of us each time and we had our own boat. I wouldn't be keen on staying overnight, but that's just a personal preference.
We decided to go with monkeyislandcruise for a 3 days two nights trip. I read may good reviews about that.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Rocket2511
We decided to go with monkeyislandcruise for a 3 days two nights trip. I read may good reviews about that.
Have fun, Halong Bay is one of the most beautiful parts of the world that I've seen.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:02 pm

12 days to work with....okay.

IF you ONLY intend to stay in the northern part of Vietnam (it's one country now, not divided), then I would definitely suggest the 3 day Halong Bay tour instead of the 2. Even then, I would probably try to stay an extra night in Ha Long city or Cat Ba island. Then you will have several days to wander around Hanoi and Sapa (I've not been to Sapa). I did enjoy the day trip to the Perfume Pagoda. If you like beer, then I suggest Hoa Vien Brewery in Hanoi. Nice atmosphere on the patio and balcony.

IF you are open to a domestic flight to the southern part of Vietnam, then I would include Nha Trang. I love that place. Good beach. Cheap accommodations. 5 days Hanoi, 3 days Halong Bay, 4 days Nha Trang.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.