Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bali driver / car service recommendations

Bali driver / car service recommendations

Old Sep 15, 10, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Superb driver: Wayan Merta

My wife and I just returned from Bali, where we drove with and got to know a superb driver. His name is Wayan Merta. He's excellent! A very nice guy, a gentle soul, whose English is excellent and who is quite bright. Plus he was more than willing to answer our many questions about the island's culture, geography, etc. and to otherwise engage in some interesting conversation. At the same time, he was not too talkative--when we simply wanted to soak in the view from his car or otherwise be quiet, he was silent as well. And, last but certainly not least, Wayan is a very safe, conservative driver who does not go too fast and does not take risks.

Wayan also was very good at replying quickly to emails. I contacted four other drivers as well as him as we were planning our trip. His rates were as good as or better than the other four. Because I finalized our plans on our various trips just a week before we went, Wayan was not available one of the days we needed him. But the fellow whom he used to substitute for him was also a very nice guy and a fine driver. His English wasn't as good as Wayan's but it was perfectly adequate for conversation and to answer our questions.

I forgot the exact name of the kind of car he driver, but it's a pretty new model--kind of a small SUV, with air conditioning and everything else working well.

As I was finalizing our plans, I contacted Wayan along with four other drivers to compare rates and responsiveness. Both his prices and the information he provided in his emails were as good or better than the other four.

I very highly recommend Wayan and would definitely use him again if and when we return to Bali.

By the way, if you go to his website (link provided below) you'll find other glowing recommendations, including the email addresses for folks supplying the reviews. You can also find additional endorsements (beyond my own) at http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic....html#28585373

His contact information:
Wayan Merta
Email: [email protected]
Cell Phone: +62 81 138 6761 (in-country: 081 138 6761)

Last edited by Thunderroad; Sep 16, 10 at 12:39 pm
Old Feb 14, 11, 11:14 am

Programs: DL PM, DL SkClub LT, AA Gold, SPG Plat/LT Gold, IHG Plat, HH Diam, AS MVP
I forgot to add my review of Marco Dewa to this thread from my visit on 02/2010

Marco:
* Replied to email within one day
* On time at DPS and waiting for my arrival
* High quality, clean and air conditioned Toyota van
* Spoke very good English. No issues with communication
* Courteous and very flexible in accommodating my requests
* Deep knowledge of the area that enriched my tour of the island
* Affordable and thankful of my business

A+ all around and I'd use him again on a future visit.
Old Feb 15, 11, 11:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Wayan Sueta / I Wayan Suetayasa's website is now

http://hiddenbali.blogspot.com/2008/...y-i-wayan.html

62(081)239 29762 (mobi) or [email protected]

and he currently states

"A rate is Rp. 600,000 for full day service, up to 10 hours.
Rate Includes:
· Fully Air Conditioned Car
· Gas Expenses
· Parking fee and other related driving expenses
· English Speaking Driver
· Complimentary Mineral Water
Remarks:
· Rate is per car. I am running a private tour not sharing with other participants.
· Our coach is comfortable for up to 7 people."
Old Mar 25, 11, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by francophile View Post
I just came back from Bali and used Dewa Marco for three days of driving. Our driver was Pedro for all three days. He was an excellent driver. He spoke English very well.

For the first two days, Pedro took my parents around the island while I stayed behind at the Grand Hyatt Nusa Dua. My parents told me that Pedro was very kind and courteous. They also said Pedro never made an attempt to pressure them to go shopping, which is all too common in Thailand.

On the third day, he drove me from the Four Seasons Sayan to the airport. I also found him very friendly and courteous. I asked him if it was ok to stop somewhere for lunch and he happily agreed. I of course paid for his lunch with was came to only Rp 6,000 for both of us at a roadside warung.

Pedro told me that he speaks a little bit of Japanese and he is starting to learn French. Bon courage to him!
We recently used Dewa Marco and Co. as well for several days and would recommend his company as well. We had the opportunity to meet both Pedro and Marco on separate days, and both of them are very good. Neither of them were pushy and both were accommodating to our flexible, spontaneous agendas for the day.

As for Pedro, he is awesome - a young, married man who shared quite a few cultural stories as well as invaluable tourist tips on how to avoid getting scammed by local hiking guides. Bali is a beautiful island but since 80% of its income is based on tourism (per the drivers), it's easy to get nickel and dimed by local guides trying to make an extra buck on travelers. Pedro fortunately knew all of these traps ahead of time and informed us of when it was and was not appropriate to tip or leave a "donation". He also thought ahead for finding ways to make it as convenient as possible with little preparation on our end. If we ever came back to Bali, we'd definitely work with Pedro (or Marco) again.

Please PM me privately if you ever want more detailed recommendations of Bali. <redacted>

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Apr 30, 14 at 9:27 am Reason: blog promotion
Old Jul 24, 11, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
I just emailed Dewa Marco based on this thread and look forward to hearing from him if he can accommodate me on such short notice.
Old Jul 24, 11, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by jrzyshawn View Post
I just emailed Dewa Marco based on this thread and look forward to hearing from him if he can accommodate me on such short notice.
I used him a year ago and would highly recommend him or his team.
Old Jul 25, 11, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Another vote for Dewa Marco http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13877338-post44.html
Old Jul 30, 11, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Originally Posted by jrzyshawn View Post
We are back from Bali now. I used DM&CO and had a great experience. His driver was professional, courteous and spoke English as well as Japanese, Balinese and Mandarin. Our driver was totally flexible and offered great suggestions. For our full day hire we just had three stops that were a must do. Elephant riding at the Bali Elephant Camp and shopping for hand carved stone works and hand carved wood works. Our driver first brought us to the Bali Elephant Camp, which take almost 2 hours to get to with traffic, so I suggest making it your first stop and requesting a pick up earlier than 9 am if possible. Our driver knew all the best areas to purchased the hand carved wood and stone items that we were looking for and gave us tips on how to bargin for the best deals. He also told us to walk away if the negotiations are not going in our favor because he will take us to another location.

In between all the shopping stops our driver told us all about the local area and provided with excellent highlights. I am very glad we found this thread and that we used DM&CO. I believe the price we paid was fair and reasonable (450,000. rp (USD aprox $50) for a full day tour. At the end of the evening our driver took us to a less crowded part of Kuta Beach for a wonderful sunset.
Old Mar 18, 12, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select, CAM Card
We just spent a week in Bali, staying at the Conrad (I'll submit a review in the relevant thread in the next day). I wanted to update this thread with our excellent experience with Dewa Marco of DM&Co. We booked two days with Marco by internet prior to arrival. He suggested that we just select some things that we wished to do and that he'd organize them into a two-day itinerary. Based on our reading of the Rough Guide and Lonely Planet Bali guides, we gave him some ideas. He came back with an itinerary which looked good.

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our two days with Marco. He's a personable guy, has excellent English, and was fun to talk with. We talked about all manner of things: Indonesian economics, politics, family life, Bali history. On day 1, we did an elephant ride (my wife always wanted to do it) which was fun, visited the Monkey temple at Ubud, and walked around central Ubud. Day two was similarly fun with volcano viewing, temples, and a fascinating waterfall (accessed through a residential neighborhood). Marco really worked with us and was accomodating with our pace and, occasionally, our lack of energy.

We'd wholeheartedly recommend Marco for touring around Bali. Getting out of the somewhat artificial environment of the western hotel chains in Nusa Dua gave us an opportunity to see a lot more of the island.
Old Oct 8, 12, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA/United/Delta
Car service recommendation in Bali

Hi All,

I'll travel to Bali soon, could anyone recommend a local driver/tour guide? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 9, 12, 7:20 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles DM/2MM, AA EXP, IC RA, Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Plenty of discussion of the subject here, including recommendations for an FT member: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...-driver-4.html
Old Nov 3, 12, 7:57 pm

Another Excellent Driver

I just got back from a one month trip to Bali with my girlfriend. We rented a fantastic oceanfront villa and the owner offered up an enthusiastic recommendation for a driver named Putu Bandhi. Putu drives a late model air-conditioned van and his English is spot on. He's a family man who grew up on the north side of the island, studied politics, and knows the island and it's culture the way only someone who has spent their life in Bali can. We found him to be a great conversationalist, with a good sense of humor, and a knack for reading people. No surprise, he drives for a number of luxury villas in the north (as an independent). I can't recommend him highly enough.

Additionally, if you can ride a motorcycle you can hire him for a scooter tour. Some of the more unique places he took us would have been difficult to reach by car.

Putu can be reached by email at [email protected] or on either of his mobiles at +62 (0) 81-338 434551 and +62 (0) 81-999 400094.

His schedule does fill up so I suggest you contact him prior to your arrival in Bali.
Old Nov 18, 12, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Dewa Marco is a FT member and earned our highest regard when he showed us around in 2010. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...dations-2.html
Old Jan 16, 13, 4:23 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Will be visiting DPS in April and looking for a driver/guide.

Any other recommendations on a Bali driver? Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 13, 10:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors, SPG, Marriott
<redacted>

Putu Arnawa was AMAZING for us and would highly recommend him.

<redacted>

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Apr 30, 14 at 10:17 am Reason: RULE 7: diverting to your own blog - feel free to add details here

Search this Thread
Search Engine: