Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bali driver / car service recommendations

Bali driver / car service recommendations

Old May 31, 08, 5:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
One more driver/guide for your planning...

For those planning to visit Ubud and the upcountry, I wholeheartedly and unreservedly recommend Wayan Sueta ([email protected]) We spent several days with Wayan, exploring Ubud, the mountain and lakes district, etc. He was serious and welcoming, speaks excellent English, is a most reliable driver with reliable and well kept-up air conditioned transport, and he introduced us to his family, artisans, etc. as well as showing us several sites many visitors never see - not to mention helped us with sudden surprises like parades and ceremonies we encountered on the road. We also used him for transport between the Kuta and Ubud areas.

Wayan Sueta (officially Suetayasa, but many Indonesians simplify their last names)
+62-(0)81-239-29762
[email protected]

Wayan Suetayasa
Br. Kedewatan 70
P.O.BOX. 39
Ubud 80571
Bali, Indonesia

http://www.hiddenbali.com
Wayan's helpful website

Rates for a full day, bi+lingual driver/guide, private vehicle, fuel, packed lunch, sarong if necessary to access temple, entrance fees, pickup / dropoff at hotel, 175,000 - 260,000 Rupiah. Trekking available as well. (IDR = 9,430 when this is written.)
Old May 31, 08, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I used Wayan Sueta, liked him alot, but he actually didn't show the day we had scheduled, he wrote down the wrong day even though I reconfirmed with him twice. We just rescheduled for the next day. Had one heckuva time on the return drive, his windshield wipers kept breaking down in the rain and he had to pull over, probably doubled our drive time.

But he is a good guy and many FTers have had excellent experiences with him.
Old Jun 3, 08, 4:23 pm

Programs: united ff, aa advantage, delta
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
ackberg, budget?
Not doing super budget but not luxury either.
Would love something like Alam Indah in ubud but they are booked.
Would like feedback on Sanur places - some sound sort of shady.
Old Jun 3, 08, 4:27 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Originally Posted by ackberg View Post
Would love something like Alam Indah in ubud but they are booked.
Have you checked their sister properties also?
Old Jun 3, 08, 9:43 pm

Programs: CX Silver
Can those of you who are Bali veterans give some tips to a newbie? We are going to be in Bali for 2 weeks with our 11 year old and 22 year old. Looking for great villas or guest houses at reasonable prices - probably Ubud area most of the time and maybe beach a few days?? Not interested in nightlife or toursity places - more interested in local culture. thanks
A bit off topic, but if you're trying to avoid touristy places, why pick Ubud? The place is lousy with tourists!

(We really enjoyed Ubud, and recommend it, but there are probably better places to be if you want to avoid tourists and touristy places.)

We also spent several days on a beach in Amed, several hours drive east of Denpasar. I'm not sure it was exactly local culture, but there were hardly any other Westerners around when we were there in October. Definitely a different scene than Kuta!
Old Jun 4, 08, 7:35 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles DM/2MM, AA EXP, IC RA, Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I'm just back from Bali. On our last visit two years ago, we reserved with Wayan Sueta and found him a very knowledgeable guide a good driver. We spent two and a half days with him. The budget was nowhere near "175,000 - 260,000 Rupiah" though. Back then, it was about 400,000 for a full day. Perhaps we overpaid. But at about $45 per days, I don't think so. I don't know what his current rates are, but they're likely higher given the current hikes in fuel prices.

Unfortunately, I tried to contact Wayan for the most recent trip and could not get any emails to go through. It turned out just fine in the end: I contacted Dewa Marco at practically the last minute and was able to book in with him. Marco's perfectly competent and pleasant cousin Dewa Pablo drove on the first day (a half-day starting at 1pm shopping for art around Ubud) and the second day (a full day in East Bali, from 9:30 to 3:30). Dewa Marco drove for the third day (a half day around Seminyak and Ubud, starting at 3:00 til 8:30 pm). And Dewa Marco took us to the airport on our last day. On this visit, we were pretty familiar with things and knew what we wanted to do, so didn't rely on Pablo or Marco for advice as much as a first-time visitor might. But they were still excellent and I would heartily recommend them to anyone. Rates range from about 350,000 IDR for a half-day to 450,000 for a full day. It's worth it and a very good value, actually, even if you rely on them solely for transport, not guide services.

Dewa Marco now lives near Kuta, though his family is from Ubud. Dewa Pablo still lives near Ubud. Don't let their locations, though, prevent you from calling them. No matter where you're staying in Bali, I'm sure they will work with you if their schedules permits.
Old Jun 5, 08, 12:56 am

Programs: united ff, aa advantage, delta
Driver Rate Much Higher

Contacted him and he quoted us 550,000 !!
Makes me question whether he is someone we could trust.
Any idea why rate would be double what you just paid??

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
For those planning to visit Ubud and the upcountry, I wholeheartedly and unreservedly recommend Wayan Sueta ([email protected]) We spent several days with Wayan, exploring Ubud, the mountain and lakes district, etc. He was serious and welcoming, speaks excellent English, is a most reliable driver with reliable and well kept-up air conditioned transport, and he introduced us to his family, artisans, etc. as well as showing us several sites many visitors never see - not to mention helped us with sudden surprises like parades and ceremonies we encountered on the road. We also used him for transport between the Kuta and Ubud areas.

Wayan Sueta (officially Suetayasa, but many Indonesians simplify their last names)
+62-(0)81-239-29762
[email protected]

Wayan Suetayasa
Br. Kedewatan 70
P.O.BOX. 39
Ubud 80571
Bali, Indonesia

Wayan's helpful website

Rates for a full day, bi+lingual driver/guide, private vehicle, fuel, packed lunch, sarong if necessary to access temple, entrance fees, pickup / dropoff at hotel, 175,000 - 260,000 Rupiah. Trekking available as well. (IDR = 9,430 when this is written.)
Old Jun 5, 08, 5:38 am

Well, as I posted above, two years ago I paid more in the range of 400,000 - 450,000 IDR, so 550,000 isn't out of line for a price hike over two years, considering how much fuel prices (his primary current variable cost) have gone up in the last two years.

I'm not questioning anyone's veracity, but I'm really amazed that Wayan would have been charging as little as 175,000 - 260,000 IDR for a full day tour within the last couple of years. I would probably set that aside as an outlier example and compare Wayan to current market prices.
Old Jun 5, 08, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
He charged me 400,000 in March for a full day through the central mountaiins.

I didn't ask price when I contacted him, didn't discuss money at all, when mrs. gleff and i got out of his car back at the hotel at the end of the day i just asked what i owed him.

Frankly I just wasn't worried about the potential variance.
Old Jun 6, 08, 1:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I wasn't "just there," which probably explains the variance (I should probably have posted dates) - but I would trust Wayan implicitly; he demonstrated his seriousness and trustworthiness extensively, and has served a number of FlyerTalkers well.

Old Jun 6, 08, 2:31 pm
Community Director

I'm one of those who has used Wayan Sueta and have heartily recommended him to others. He has been a joy to have as a driver, as he knows his island intimately and loves to share it.
Old Jun 6, 08, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Wayan's helpful website

the website shows rates (depending on region) ranging from 175,000 (half day) to 500,000 (full day) [only $19 > $54 ]

what region was that quote for?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 8, 08 at 8:11 pm
Old Jun 16, 08, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond
Bali Driver

A note . . . the Indonesiam government has recently passed through a 20-40% increase in Petro costs. The petro prices are still heavily subsidized which have steadily been removed. This being the largest incurred expense by your respective driver, expect a noticible increase in the costs quoted even over recent posts.

I highly recommend Dewa Marco and commend his efforts to work with customers during the relentless increases and actually depart from set prices to keep costs down for tours/driving which may not involve long trips.
Old Jun 24, 08, 1:40 pm

Has anyone used Wayan recently or spoken to him? I just emailed [email protected] and got it bounced back twice (double checked, and clicked the link on his site too, which still seems to work fine).
Old Jun 25, 08, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by dcrombie View Post
Has anyone used Wayan recently or spoken to him? I just emailed [email protected] and got it bounced back twice (double checked, and clicked the link on his site too, which still seems to work fine).
I tried to contact Wayan about a month ago. My emails to him bounced back too. With time running out, I gave up and contacted DewaMarco. (I had tried Wayan first because we had gone with him in the past.) Anyway, I mentioned it to DewaMarco, who said he was friends with Wayan and would tell him someone had problems emailing him. Evidently, the problem hasn't been fixed yet. Don't know what to suggest other than contacting DewaMarco and booking with him.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: