Bali driver / car service recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bali driver / car service recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Thanks. Should have updated this to say I emailed him and we are planning on spending 2.5 days with him. Great communication so far!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:23 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by bsdstone
... and what we should expect to pay would be greatly appreciated.
USD 40 per day for 10 hour day is a fair rate (including petrol), you can get as low as USD 20 per day from other drivers. Depends on season and supply/demand but I was just in Bali (using a different Made's car service) and every Go-car driver will offer day rate. Download Go-jek app on your iphone/Android, very useful for not just cars but food delivery and lots of other things. Great system, wish we had it instead of Uber
bsdstone likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
We are set up to tour with Made for 2.5 days in a van for the 6 of us...he has not answered what method of payments he accepts...can we use a visa, or is it cash only?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Just wanted to add to all the accolades for Made. We hired him for two transfers and a day tour, and had a great time. He’s a really knowledgeable guide, and put together a very interesting trip. His English is very good, his rates are competitive, and he’s reliable. In addition to all of that, though, he’s a really nice guy. I highly recommend contacting him if you need a driver or guide in Bali.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bsdstone
We are set up to tour with Made for 2.5 days in a van for the 6 of us...he has not answered what method of payments he accepts...can we use a visa, or is it cash only?
I had the impression this is a cash-only set up, but I could be wrong. He's great with communicating, so you could just email him. In any case, I'd have some cash handy, esp if you want to tip him a bit extra. He's a very sweet, helpful, knowledgeable guy.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I had the impression this is a cash-only set up, but I could be wrong. He's great with communicating, so you could just email him. In any case, I'd have some cash handy, esp if you want to tip him a bit extra. He's a very sweet, helpful, knowledgeable guy.
It would be very surprising if a driver in bali took a credit card
Old May 3, 2019, 6:11 am

Wanted to add another recommendation for Made. He couldn't have been more flexible with us and our almost 4 year old. We used his service for a few days of tours plus airport transfers. As others have mentioned, not only is he a great driver and tour guide for some out of the way places and local restaurants, he is a great guy. We were invited to his home on his birthday and got to experience a traditional Balinese hospitality. Don't bother looking elsewhere and feel free to PM me for further details!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by number_6
USD 40 per day for 10 hour day is a fair rate (including petrol), you can get as low as USD 20 per day from other drivers. Depends on season and supply/demand but I was just in Bali (using a different Made's car service) and every Go-car driver will offer day rate. Download Go-jek app on your iphone/Android, very useful for not just cars but food delivery and lots of other things. Great system, wish we had it instead of Uber
Made is quoting me $60 each for two day trips. They are long trips (Ubud to central Bali and back for example), but this seems to be 1.5 - 3 times the rate guidelines in post I quoted above. Is negotiation expected here? If you used Made, what did you pay him for long-ish day tours?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
There are a zillion drivers in Bali all charging different rates. In the end, what’s the big difference from 30 to 60 USD when at least you know for sure you’re getting someone who will be reliable.

I have a lot more wiggle room being able to speak bahasa so I usually just wing the car thing.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by 49er
Made is quoting me $60 each for two day trips. They are long trips (Ubud to central Bali and back for example), but this seems to be 1.5 - 3 times the rate guidelines in post I quoted above. Is negotiation expected here? If you used Made, what did you pay him for long-ish day tours?
Never had trips for as low as $20 a day when in Bali. Doesn't seem right or fair. A few extra dollars is the equivalent of a few coffees for us but for someone who makes so little money they would be grateful.
bsdstone and DeepUnderground like this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: HA AK CO Silver Elite
Choose Made for your Trip to Bali!!

Made made our trip so Special!!
My wife and I just returned from 12 Days in Bali (June 21-23 Touring with Made). We booked 3 days of tours with Made and airport transfers on the front end and end of our trip. This man is as honest and authentic as they come. We were so impressed and thankful for his time working with us. He picked us at airport late on Sunday night took us to Seminyak for our stay there and then 5 days later picked us up in Canggu for our day trip before heading to our hotel later that night in Ubud. We did 3 full days of customizable tours ($60, $55 and $50 dollars we paid in US Dollar but IDR is just as acceptable) for the 3 different tours we did each day. Each tour is a packed day with lots of movement and great conversation with Made. Visiting his home and visiting with him and his wife, son and parents was a beautiful thing.
Made was always and I mean always on time and where he said he would be when he said. . Whatsapp was our messaging tool. If you are going to Bali and want to be enriched by this beautiful land you need to do it with Made. Tell him Brannon and Angi from Texas say hello. We will be back and when we go I can ensure you we will use his service again.
bsdstone likes this.

Last edited by yeahfoy; Jun 30, 2019 at 10:55 am Reason: spelling
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Never had trips for as low as $20 a day when in Bali. Doesn't seem right or fair. A few extra dollars is the equivalent of a few coffees for us but for someone who makes so little money they would be grateful.
You're right. And someone like him could make a big difference in the experience of the vacation, which is worth a lot more than the difference in asking prices. I've booked him for 4 day trips and a transfer. I'll report back, hopefully with more praise for him.
Annalisa12 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:50 pm

I hope it's not against the rules to recommend anyone else besides Made? I used Go Adventure Bali on my two trips and very happy with their service. Full day tour with a van is 550k IDR (at least it was few months ago), and they are very flexible with schedules and itineraries.
You can contact Nila on WhatsApp +6285738320137. If you do meet her, please say Mr Chicken sends his greetings
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:54 pm

Should we create a Wiki for this and have a list of recommendations at the top of the thread?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:16 am

yes you can try this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.