Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bali driver / car service recommendations

Bali driver / car service recommendations

Old Apr 21, 17, 8:10 am

Another ringing endorsement for Made. My wife and I used him for round-trip airport transfers and two days of touring earlier this month. He's a great guy, always on time, fun to be with and extremely informative. As others have said, he really feels more like a long lost friend than a tour guide.

His suggestions were spot on. And be sure to take him up on his offer to visit his home.

Feel free to PM if I can provide any additional info.

Thanks Made!
Old Apr 21, 17, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by RhubarbPie View Post
He is warm, inviting, and definitely makes your feel like you're long lost friends. Also so informative and really passionate about Bali. I was lucky to book him last minute on Easter Sunday, but he said otherwise, he's booked for weeks. So book him early!
Adding to the list of endorsements. I'm really glad to hear that Made is booked and busy because if anyone deserves to succeed, it's him. Although we weren't able to visit Ubud on our most recent trip, he cheerfully accommodated our itinerary and airport transfers. Always prompt, with interesting and relevant anecdotes about the island or his family. He was great with our two kids, and our son warmed up to him quickly. He even helped us negotiate an arrangement for same-day service at a laundromat when they seemed otherwise booked. That's first-class service! We can't wait to go back.
Old May 19, 17, 2:25 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Well....

+1 on recommendations for Made of Made Real. We spent a day with him doing the central mountain tour. It was great having a guide who tried to make sure everything was personal and interesting.

One of the highlights was definitely visiting his family's very beautiful compound as he explained a lot about the day-to-day life of Balinese households. Very wonderful!

Only slight complaint was the coffee and tea tour as it really feels like those places are simply designed to hard sell you into buying overpriced junk. A lot of people probably request to go there but it was a bit underwhelming for us.
Old May 26, 17, 9:21 am

Made Real Bali Tours was awesome. I made this account just to recommend him. I actually found Made on here. He was terrific. My gf and I used Made for two days when going to Ubud (where he's from).

1. Timeliness - He was always on time (in fact always early)
2. Accommodating - He was very flexible and recommended more efficient itinerary and recommendations (I had a super ambitious itinerary). We actually also stopped by his home (and see his fam) as well. Most Bali households have a very similar set up and it's an incredible opportunity to go see it in person.
3. Hospitable - He had a sarong for us at the temple, offered water, and super funny.

I don't know what else you need but if I go back to Bali, Made is the man for the job.

Originally Posted by slice View Post
Another ringing endorsement for Made. My wife and I used him for round-trip airport transfers and two days of touring earlier this month. He's a great guy, always on time, fun to be with and extremely informative. As others have said, he really feels more like a long lost friend than a tour guide.

His suggestions were spot on. And be sure to take him up on his offer to visit his home.

Feel free to PM if I can provide any additional info.

Thanks Made!
Old Jun 2, 17, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT
And one more recommendation for Made who I found here on this thread. I recently had a short stay in Bali (Friday afternoon to Sunday late night) which he helped make a great experience.

I booked him for the airport transfer to my hotel in Jimbaran Friday afternoon. He sent his uncle who was waiting for me when I left the customs hall even though my flight was early.

After enjoying the hotel, beach and pool Friday afternoon and Saturday morning, I booked the Uluwatu sunset tour for Saturday afternoon. The stops included the GWK cultural park where I saw some Balinese dancing, Padang Padang beach which was quite photogenic in the soft late afternoon light, and Uluwatu temple where we spent some time walking around, taking pictures of the cliffs, and I then decided to watch the optional Balinese Kecak and Fire Dance performance around sunset. While obviously packed with tourists, I enjoyed the experience of sitting in the breeze, watching the performance and the sunset, and listening to the chants. Made provided lots of interesting information throughout the tour, and on the way back from Uluwatu we stopped for dinner at a local restaurant before heading back to the hotel.

On Sunday he picked me up again in the morning for the full day tour to the Ubud area. This included stops at two temples, another dance performance, rice terraces, a waterfall, some shopping (wood carving, a tea/coffee outlet), stopping for lunch at a nice restaurant, some walking around the center of Ubud, and at the end a visit to his family home which was a great experience. Most stops weren’t exactly “off the beaten path” (i.e. other tour guides / groups stopped there, too) and the stop at the wood carving place was slightly awkward since I had no plans to buy anything and the salesperson followed me along every step of the way, but the great thing about the entire tour was that Made is just very good at explaining things, providing lots of cultural background, and is a very pleasant person to be around. From Ubud we drove back towards Denpasar, had dinner in Seminyak, and he then dropped me back at the airport for my flight back home. Overall it was a great weekend and I enjoyed the sampling of culture and nature.
Old Jun 19, 17, 12:02 am

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), DL GM (ST E+), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Had the pleasure of taking two tours with Made last week. It was a very pleasant experience - Made is clearly very passionate about his work, and it really showed throughout the tour. The vehicle is in good shape and very comfortably seated my family of four. Prices were quite reasonable.

I'm happy to recommend him to anybody else visiting Bali.
Old Jun 21, 17, 9:26 am

Add another glowingly positive review of Made to the list. He was as friendly as could be and extremely flexible when my wife and I made some last minute changes to our itinerary. Really appreciated his friendly demeanor and how knowledgeable he was about everything he took us to see. Anyone looking for a guide in Bali should consider him first.
Old Jul 26, 17, 5:57 pm

Gust Made "MADE" our holiday in Bali one of the best trips ever

I've been to Bali 5 times and have had various different drivers. I have never written a recommendation for any of them. Gusti Made is by far and away the best driver / guide in Bali, so much so that he is really in a league of his own. I've learned the hard way that your driver / guide can make or break your Bali stay. Made's flexibility with time; reliability; ability to communicate clearly (his English is superb); knowledge of the island and willingness to show you the 'real' Bali and introduce you to people you would normally never meet as a traveller creates a truly amazing and exceptional experience. I wouldn't even consider using anyone else. Plus, his fees are right on target so you feel like you are getting enormous value for money. Made is a gem!
Old Aug 8, 17, 3:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Can anyone tell me if Made can accommodate a family of 5? Adults/teens and our 9 year old. If so, is there a rate difference? Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 17, 2:48 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis View Post
Can anyone tell me if Made can accommodate a family of 5? Adults/teens and our 9 year old. If so, is there a rate difference? Thanks.
Yes, he can, but you'd have to contact him for the particulars. With 6 people, including driver, Made will either have to get a van or a second car + driver.
I wouldn't worry about it; just explain your needs and let him figure it out.

He has a network of friends and family, and can scale up his services to accommodate large groups, tours, film shoots, or whatever.
Old Sep 26, 17, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Another recommendation for Made if you need a driver/tour guide in Bali. He is based in Ubud. A very delightful and genuine person, very punctual and speaks good English. We didn't have much of a plan but fortunately, we managed to book him a few days in advance.

We booked him several times while we were there - we went to Uluwatu, Ubud and the central mountain area (waterfall, rice terraces etc). As some stated above we also had the pleasure to visit his home and his charming family who were very welcoming but incredibly shy, and were offered some fresh coconuts to drink.

Be prepared to dress for the occasion as when we visited the waterfall area in central Bali our shoes were soaking wet (due to heavy rain) and would have been better off with flip flops/crocs.

It is best to ask him about the itinerary and plan what you want to do, he was very flexible. We told him we were not into shopping like other tourists and he was respectful of that. We did agree to go to the coffee plantation area which involved animals (civet cats - Luwak coffee, look it up) - we were rather taken by surprise as other reviewers have not mentioned this aspect of the coffee plantation specifically and if you feel strongly about animal rights you may want to skip this. We felt a little obliged to buy stuff from their shop but went along with it anyway. But the rest of the tours did not involve any shopping. We spent a lot of time enjoying the views from the car with a couple of pit stops so it did not feel particularly strenuous apart from the waterfall visit (lots of steps up and down).

Overall highly recommended!
Old Nov 24, 17, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Here's another endorsement for Made.

We just got back from Bali. We did 3 day tours with him. They were:

15 November Wednesday - Volcano $55
16 November Thursday - Central Mountain $60
18 November Saturday - Tanah Lot $50

These are all day events. We also picked up his lunch. It's so cheap there, how could we not.

We took a day off to get massages.

How do you not like someone that gives you a cold towel after walking up 490 steps from the waterfalls in the hot/humid Bali weather. Made always had cold water available. He also has umbrellas when needed. You can pay him in US$ or local currency.

A copy of one of our email exchanges > Because you are staying in Ubud better do volcano+ ubud tours the price it is USD 55$ we start at 8.30 am! You can pay cash after the tours!

Another 2 tours we can do
*central mountain tours* that you can see the real part of bali and you can see and closer to the nature!

*tanah lot tours* that we can start at noon time where you can enjoy stunning sunset from tanah lot!

Here's his website http://maderealbalitours.blogspot.com/

Made built his business from recommendations on Tripadvisor and Flyertalk. He's well aware of all of our recommendations. The funny thing is that I noticed that if you look at other online day trips, they charge per person, and are always double + the cost mentioned above.

I'd write more (and will), but I'm still jet lagged. I think you get the general idea. Made is a real gem. ^ Thanks to everyone for making our choice easy.
Old Jan 2, 18, 12:36 pm

Thanks for this. I hope his company can provide solo tours as all the other tours that I had checked required 2 people.
Old Jan 2, 18, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Deafchick View Post
Thanks for this. I hope his company can provide solo tours as all the other tours that I had checked required 2 people.
I find that hard to believe. EVERYTHING is negotiable here.
Old Jan 3, 18, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground View Post
I find that hard to believe. EVERYTHING is negotiable here.
And for such little money

Search this Thread
Search Engine: