Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Taiwan: Now 90 Day Visa Exempt Entry (US Passport Holders)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2012, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, TK Elite, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, AMEX Plat

As of November 1st, 2012 US Passport Holders are now given 90 days Visa Exempt Entry upon arrival in Taiwan. This is an increase from the previous 30 days Visa Exempt Entry.

Currently in Taiwan, where I was informed upon arrival of this new policy.

http://www.taiwanembassy.org/US/NYC/...ode=2963&mp=62

Last edited by D3XT3R; Nov 3, 2012 at 6:15 pm
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
UK citizens have got 90 days for a few years now. A boon for illegal English teachers. It was supposed to be possible to renew once without leaving - ie 180 days in total. This was because the UK offered 180 days visa free to Taiwanese. Not sure if that was ever implemented and if this is also available to US citizens.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
What's new is Taiwan in U.S. Visa Waiver Program starting Nov 1st, 2012...

Originally Posted by D3XT3R
As of November 1st, 2012 US Passport Holders are now given 90 days Visa Exempt Entry upon arrival in Taiwan. This is an increase from the previous 30 days Visa Exempt Entry.

Currently in Taiwan, where I was informed upon arrival of this new policy.

http://www.taiwanembassy.org/US/NYC/...ode=2963&mp=62
Ninety-day entry isn't anything new.

It's been many years for Taiwan to grant up to 90-day visa-exempt entry to many nationals, including UK and US citizens. See what our Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs says:

1.The nationals of the following countries are eligible for the visa exemption program, which permits a duration of stay up to 90 days:Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, U.K., U.S.A. and Vatican City State.
The 30-day entry is only limited to a smaller number of countries and certain dual-national visitors:

1. <snip>
The nationals of the following countries are eligible for the visa exemption program, which permits a duration of stay up to 30 days:Australia, Malaysia, Singapore.

2.The nationals of India, Thailand, Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia, who also possess a valid visa or permanent resident certificate issued by U.S.A., Canada, Japan, U.K., Schengen Convention countries, Australia or New Zealand, are eligible for the visa exemption program, which permits a duration of stay up to 30 days.
What's really new is, starting on November 1st, 2012, Taiwan becomes one of the countries that are eligible for the U.S. Visa Waiver Program (VWP). Since visa-privilege tend to be reciprocal between countries (in this case, US and Taiwan), I haven't heard or read from our local media how this new (US) VWP privilege would incur new changes to Taiwan's current policy on visa-exempt entry for other nationals.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, TK Elite, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, AMEX Plat
Are you sure it's nothing new? The BOCA link that you quoted, including USA on the 90 day list, was updated November 1st.

Most of the older links on the subject of entry requirements would read as follows:
The nationals of the following countries are eligible for the visa exemption program, which permits a duration of stay up to 30 days:Australia, Malaysia, Singapore, U.S.A.

Like this cached version of the BOCA page from September of this year.

But indeed, the entry of Taiwan into the US VWP is the bigger story of the day.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by lin821
It's been many years for Taiwan to grant up to 90-day visa-exempt entry to many nationals, including UK and US citizens.
Until 2009, as far as I remember, almost nobody got 90 days.

UK (and Ireland) went from 30 to 90 (+90) days in 2009. At the time I'm pretty sure that only Japan got the same privilege. It followed the UK granting visa-free access to Taiwanese. It was a very big story in Taiwan at the time.

Schengen countries followed early 2011 (?end 2010). That accounts for most of the rest of that list.

US this month.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: various
Interesting. Maybe not so new. I'm a US passport holder. My last entry to Taiwan was at Jinmen Island Shuitou Ferry Port in mid-December of 2011, and the stamp had 90 days on it.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
My last entry to Taiwan was at Jinmen Island
Hmm....
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by jimbo99
Hmm....
I mean Kinmen Island of course!
For the last 2-3 years, Kinmen has been a legitimate port of entry to the ROC for many foreign nationals, even if it is a bit of an obscure outpost. If other Taiwan entry locations back then were still on 30 days' allowance for US passports, maybe Kinmen was deviating for some reason...which makes no sense to me either. But I just doublechecked that passport stamp from December 2011, and it indeed has a "90 days" on it. I doubt if it was an entry officer's mistake, as at the time I was the only non-ROC or non-PRC national (and the latter were on special group daytrips) going through Immigration so they would have focused on picking out the right stamp from their collection.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 9:06 pm

Interesting. When I was on Kinmen (a couple of years ago), ROC passport holders could go to Xiamen for the day without the usual documentation (you know, that PRC issued passport thing). I heard from more than one source that this applied to everyone - even foreign passport holders. Ie as a UK passport holder I could go to Xiamen for the day on the ferry without requiring a Chinese visa. I doubted this, but it was immaterial as I didn't have time to go anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.