Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Ask us about Malaysia travel…

Ask us about Malaysia travel…

Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by puchong
Why do you need to use a "tourist agency" for a Malaysian visa? Why not go to the High Commission to eliminate the agency service charge and get the visa at cost?
Indian nationals (I am not - this is for our student friend) can not obtain visa directly at High Commision in Malaysia while staying in Singapore. They must use agencies. While Malaysian High Commision changes SGD $23 for visa itself, these agencies charge $40 and more for 'services' - just to take passport and photo to the High Commision.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:34 am

Location: KUL (MY), ICN (KR), ZRH (CH) or OTP (RO) - or somewhere in between
Programs: OZ, JL
I will have 13 full days to spend in Perak/Pahang and I am looking for suggestions on how to split my time there. I am thinking 2-3-4 days in Ipoh proper, 3-4-5 days in Tanah Rata, day trips (from Ipoh) to Kuala Kangsar and Taiping. Anyone has better suggestions? Maybe venture to Lenggong as another day trip?
Or should I just limit myself to 2-3-4 days in Ipoh and all remaining days in Tanah Rata? How many days could one spend in Cameron Highlands without getting itchy to leave? How about Ipoh?
Any recommended places to stay in Ipoh and Tanah Rata?
My interests are nature/scenery, sights/historic places, interaction with locals and (above all) local, authentic food.
Thanks a million in advance to anyone who has suggestions!
(And just to point out: for this trip I am only interested in Perak/Pahang states: I already spent time in Penang, Langkawi, Melaka, Kuching, Kota Kinabalu, Miri, Sandakan and obviously KL, so please do not suggest going to those places instead...)

Last edited by mihaid; Mar 9, 2019 at 9:40 am
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
PEN lounges/shower availability

Hello, all

I'll be spending some 3+ h at PEN,, from midday, on a weekday next month. Departing to KUL, so domestic flight. PP seems to have a Plaza Premium lounge, listing showers as one of the amenities, but sometimes there hasn't even been any available lounge, when listed (latest experience BAQ).

Can anybody confirm this lounge location and if there are showers available?

TIA !
Old May 18, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Interested in a day trip to KL to Cameroon Highlands early next year. I know it's a long day hut it's all we have. 3 adults, would like a private driver..realistic what canv we do in a day?
Old May 18, 2019, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Interested in a day trip to KL to Cameroon Highlands early next year. I know it's a long day hut it's all we have. 3 adults, would like a private driver..realistic what canv we do in a day?
Long day but possible. The old road (nearest KL) is he most scenic. Stop at the BOH tea plantation, and/or the other one right on the highway. Tanah Rata for lunch and go back. No real reason to go beyond Tanah Rata.

The place has certainly changed since I first went there (a year or two after Jim Thompson went missing).
Old May 19, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Possible yes. But it also depends when early next year Chinese New Year is 25 January next year. Avoid the week before and after CNY unless you want to be stuck in traffic either on the highway or on the mountain (just avoid any long weekends or public holidays in Malaysia)
Old May 19, 2019, 12:31 pm

Thanks for the info.. I will check on the timing. Do i need a reservation for the tea plantation? Whats tgge ggestcway to hite car and driver.. We will probably be at tgge Hilton. Old road.. less traffic than highway?
Old May 19, 2019, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
There's only 3 paved roads going up to CH IIRC, none of them highways if that's what you call as fast road with at least two lanes in each direction. These roads are single lane for the most part with some double passing lanes on one of the highways The old road is the one some maps label at 59 and the closest of the main north-south highway to .KL. There's another, 185 that goes to/from the same highway near Ipoh. Not as scenic and (much) more traffic. Haven't gone the other way on 185 towards the east coast. These latter two routes (or 185) are none of your concern for a day trip.

BOH plantation needs no appointment. Just go there (not sure if there is a processing plant tour), walk around the plantation, and sample their offerings (nothing complimentary IIRC but the visit was free 3 1/2 years ago). There's another plantation just before you get to Tanah Rata but it is a scenic and refreshment stop more than anything else (do try teh tarik but only at a mamak (muslim Indian) diner. The "teh tarik" that BOH and the other place offers are made from 3-in-1 powder mix (that they're all too happy to sell you).

I can't say there is much to see in Tanah Rata or beyond, other than what must be one of the largest fleets of Land Rovers (nothing emotely new, all are probably 40-50+ years old). It'll be like going to Havana for a vintage Land Rover enthusiast. Otherwise just a lot of development (high rise hotels), intense agriculture, tourist traps, and no increase in road capacity hence bad, bad traffic congestion.

Main attraction of the place? It's cool. The British used it to get away from the heat (same goes, to a lesser extent, for Fraser Hill and Penang Hill among others).
Old May 19, 2019, 8:45 pm

Thanks so much for your detailed response. What's the distance and drive time from Hilton KL....and suggestion for car and driver for the day...any other suggestions forvva day trip from KL.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:41 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by onobond
Hello, all

I'll be spending some 3+ h at PEN,, from midday, on a weekday next month. Departing to KUL, so domestic flight. PP seems to have a Plaza Premium lounge, listing showers as one of the amenities, but sometimes there hasn't even been any available lounge, when listed (latest experience BAQ).

TIA !
Did you fly yet? If so what did you find?

I was in the PP lounge on the international side recently. This lounge is a bit dark, small and cramped, but has a variety of fresh-prepared dishes and beverages.

There are two basic seating areas in this lounge: table seating and armchair seating.

This lounge has limited table seating. Only 8 or so tables. They were all fully occupied during our entire visit just after midday.

The armchair seats have plenty of plugs. But it is awkward to have to eat a plate of food in your lap sitting in them.

The limited self-serve food selections include a salad bar, cold cereals, bread and jam, cakes and muffins.

A menu of chef-prepared selections compensate for the meager self-serve selections.

Wifi internet is fast in the lounge.

But there are no showers, nap rooms or other amenities at this lounge other than a restroom.

More details and photos: https://readyjetroam.com/2019/05/14/...onal-terminal/ This link is to an online source to which I contribute and/or have a financial interest.

Last edited by kokonutz; May 25, 2019 at 2:53 pm Reason: Edited to conform to moderator standards
Old May 24, 2019, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by kokonutz

Originally Posted by onobond
Hello, all

TIA !

Did you fly yet? If so what did you find?

I was in the PP lounge on the international side recently and it was a small and dark space. No shower.
Thanks for your info. I just came back from SEA. As I was departing domestic, I used the PP lounge there. Small, dark (no windows) ant rather limited offerings. I had made a re-booking since a business seat was available, so didn't have time for a shower, even if they would have had one.
kokonutz likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 24, 2019 at 7:29 am Reason: Conform to moderator edit
Old May 30, 2019, 5:04 am

I am heading to Langkawi next month for a few days, to stay at Tanjung Rhu Resort. I am already regretting it because of lack of in room wifi and poor location (my fault due to lack of research I guess).

But does someone have realistic knowledge of taxi fares from popular destinations to Tanjung Rhu, such as Pantai Cenang/Underwater World, Crocodile Farm, Temerun Waterfall, SkyCab/SkyBridge?

Also with no in room wifi in my hotel, is it cheap enough to use Maxis Sim data card for my iPhone? Is the signal even 4G on that tip of the island?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
I am doing a Plt challenge on aa. Decided to head to SE Asia for a few days. I would love to fly into KL but AAVacation does not serve Malaysia. Using SIN as the base, I would like fly into KL for a day or Penang for a day. Since I don't know much about Malaysia. I would like to know

1. Is it safe for a single woman to travel in Malaysia? knowing some SE Asian countries view single woman as fair game.
2. Which location is the best to get a taste of Malay culture?
3. How easy is the public transport in these locations? Or should I just book a day tour.

I truly to see the beauty of Malaysia but time is short and I have to base out of SIN in stead of KL.

Many thanks.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:56 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
I am doing a Plt challenge on aa. Decided to head to SE Asia for a few days. I would love to fly into KL but AAVacation does not serve Malaysia. Using SIN as the base, I would like fly into KL for a day or Penang for a day. Since I don't know much about Malaysia. I would like to know

1. Is it safe for a single woman to travel in Malaysia? knowing some SE Asian countries view single woman as fair game.
2. Which location is the best to get a taste of Malay culture?
3. How easy is the public transport in these locations? Or should I just book a day tour.

I truly to see the beauty of Malaysia but time is short and I have to base out of SIN in stead of KL.

Many thanks.
Let me try to answer again without the links:

1) It depends on where you go. You will be safe in KL and Penang.
2) You won't get much of a taste of Malay culture in either KL or Penang...especially in a day.
3) Use Grab (Uber for Asia) for getting around. It's cheap (like, REALLY cheap) and convenient.

If you go to KL for a day do Petronas Tower and Batu Caves.

If you go to Penang take the funicular up Penang Hill and chill in George Town or on the beach in Batu Ferringhi (Bora Bora beach bar works).

There is a lot more information on the internet including in my blog which is linked in my signature line.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
thanks. Will read your blog when I have a little more time. I was in the Petronas Towers for a business meeting many years ago. We drove from SIN to KL, had the meeting and return to SIN all in one leisurely day. Of course we did not see very much in KL. My memories tell me that drive was beautiful. There seems to be some beautiful Islamic architectures in both KL and Penang. Let's say that if I increase my stay to 48 hours, what would you recommend and the most convenient locations to say to minimize transportation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.