Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Ask us about Malaysia travel…

Ask us about Malaysia travel…

Old May 23, 18, 11:03 pm
  #346  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Posts: 31,723
I’d normally say 80% of our expenses were paid by credit card. Hotels, restaurant, etc. Smaller restaurants, food stalls, street markets and some transportation just with cash.
sokolov likes this.
Jaimito Cartero is online now  
Old Jun 6, 18, 9:20 am
  #347  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 15
Review my Malaysia Itinerary

We are visiting Malaysia on our trip to India (couple with a 5yo). We will have 2 large suitcases + 2 check in bags + 2 small bagpacks. Please review our itinerary -

We are not into adventure activities. Also, we have seen CN Tower/Banff in Canada, so dropped Petronas and Genting Highlands. We like to see culture and places and people.

Time of year: end of October

Day 1 Thursday - Arrive at 7:15pm. Take bus to KL Sentral and taxi to hotel. (Hotel not booked yet, but planning to book near KL Sentral).
Day 2 Friday -
10 AM - KidZania (something we are looking forward to take our child to).
6 PM - if we are tired, then get a massage in the city or just roam in the market.

Day 3 Saturday -
10 AM - Zoo Negara
6 PM - KLCC Park/ Lake Symphony/Petronas (from outside)

Day 4 Sunday -
8 AM - Fly to Langkawi
9 AM - rent a scooter
10 AM - Underwater World
1 PM - see if you can take the island hopping tour. If not just relax on the Pentai Cenang beach and thereabouts.
7 PM - Visit the night market

Day 5 Monday -
10 AM - SkyBridge w/Cable Car - if manageable queue, then do it else skip
12 PM - Seven Wells waterfall
2 PM - Pasir Tenkorak Beach (stay there or come back to Pentai Cenang)
7 PM - Visit the night market

Day 6 Tuesday -
10 AM - flight back to Kuala Lumpur
12 pm - Batu Caves
7 PM - if tired, relax or else one of Central Market/ Little India/ Petaling/ Kampung Baru

Day 7 Wednesday -
9 AM - Jamek Mosque
10 AM - Sri Mahamariamman Temple
12 PM - Thean Hou Temple
3 PM - Bus to KLIA
7 PM - Flight to BOM

I have tried to keep evening plans flexible as we dont know how much tired we will be. One other question I have is - will I be able to keep my luggage at KL Sentral while on my trip to Langkawi. First plan is to book the same hotel in Kuala Lumpur, so I can request the hotel if they can keep my luggage. But if not, then other option is to use KL Sentral left luggage facility for multiple days.
Mr Bean is offline  
Old Jun 11, 18, 12:07 am
  #348  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 371
Originally Posted by amitdi View Post
We are visiting Malaysia on our trip to India (couple with a 5yo). We will have 2 large suitcases + 2 check in bags + 2 small bagpacks. Please review our itinerary -

We are not into adventure activities. Also, we have seen CN Tower/Banff in Canada, so dropped Petronas and Genting Highlands. We like to see culture and places and people.

Time of year: end of October

Day 1 Thursday - Arrive at 7:15pm. Take bus to KL Sentral and taxi to hotel. (Hotel not booked yet, but planning to book near KL Sentral).
Day 2 Friday -
10 AM - KidZania (something we are looking forward to take our child to).
6 PM - if we are tired, then get a massage in the city or just roam in the market.

Day 3 Saturday -
10 AM - Zoo Negara
6 PM - KLCC Park/ Lake Symphony/Petronas (from outside).
Just a few ideas. It wouldn't be that much more expensive to take a taxi all the way if you are a family and it would certainly be much more convenient.
Though I've never been, Zoo Negara has pretty poor reviews based on the treatment of their animals and the maintenance and cleanliness of the park. You might want to consider the Bird Park and nearby Police museum.
Mr Bean likes this.
TravelDream is offline  
Old Jul 2, 18, 7:10 pm
  #349  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 307
goodmorning
we had a perfect 7 daystay sofar in KL
pullman bangsar
very nice hotel ,good service and we enyoy the buffets
breakfast in the executive lounge ,quiet atmosphere
visit bird/butterfly and hibiscus /orchid park .
today islam museum and a tour trough the city
tomorrow we fly to kuching
we found a touroperator but now not existing any more
any recommendations
we would like to visit a longhouse or sarawak cultural village
thanks for suggestions
kees
seavisionburma likes this.
nkob is offline  
Old Jul 9, 18, 12:31 am
  #350  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 307
we stayed for 6 days now
visit sarawak museum village
indian market and a lot of interesting small streets
touroperator cats village ,office in the hotel ,was a lot cheaper then a lot touroperators on internet .
kuching friendly city and friendly people easy to walk .
hill shopping mall connected with pulman kuching is in progress
monday morning a lot of ATM in shopping malls are waiting for fresh money i think
MAYBANK accept everything maestro and so on .
taxi to airport around 30 ringitt
greetings kees
nkob is offline  
Old Jul 30, 18, 2:57 am
  #351  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: YXY
Posts: 3,416
What does it mean in Malaysia when there is a public holiday, such as Hari Raya Haji?

What is closed or reduced in service, and what is not affected?
Thank you.
sokolov is offline  
Old Jul 30, 18, 3:13 am
  #352  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 307
here in marocco
first day visit mosk visit friends familie slaughetering sheep and have a good time
all public places shops and so on closed
second day and third day restaurants cafes more open
official places closed
whats is open and closed or when is depending city village and so on
here in maroc if you have friends here great time to be here
kees
nkob is offline  
Old Aug 6, 18, 6:20 pm
  #353  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 81
In today's context, most places will remain open during public holidays. You do not need to worry too much on this.
Originally Posted by sokolov View Post
What does it mean in Malaysia when there is a public holiday, such as Hari Raya Haji?

What is closed or reduced in service, and what is not affected?
Thank you.
sokolov likes this.
jc777 is offline  
Old Aug 10, 18, 7:48 am
  #354  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boulder
Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Posts: 2,361
Originally Posted by nkob View Post
here in marocco
first day visit mosk visit friends familie slaughetering sheep and have a good time
all public places shops and so on closed
second day and third day restaurants cafes more open
official places closed
whats is open and closed or when is depending city village and so on
here in maroc if you have friends here great time to be here
kees
Wrong 'M' country, I'm afraid.

(This thread is about Malaysia)
txflyer77 is offline  
Old Aug 10, 18, 9:01 am
  #355  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 307
i am aware about that offcourse
start was ,,here in marocco ,,
TS was asking specific for EID
kees
nkob is offline  
Old Aug 14, 18, 9:03 pm
  #356  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SIN
Posts: 84
Hi, I'll be flying to AKL via KUL, the transit time would be around 13hours, what are the processes that I need to do to leave the airport for those 13 hours before coming back to catch my next flight? Oh and I don't need visa to visit Malaysia.
Traflying is offline  
Old Aug 21, 18, 3:13 pm
  #357  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton-Dia, Marriott-G
Posts: 1,471
Originally Posted by sokolov View Post
What websites can you recommend for booking hotels in Malaysia these days? I find my version of Expedia very confusing, as they even mix in airlines lounges, 6 hours stays, daytime stays, and show many many properties as constantly sold out (months in advance, and they aren't actually sold out).

Is there another app based taxi sevice but Uber and Grub?

I've never been to Malaysia before. Is there a good primer to read about taxis, dining out, tipping, safety, etc.?

Thank you!
Answers in order:
  • Agoda, booking.com, cheaptickets
  • MyCar. No Uber in SEA
  • No tips required in Malaysia. Don't take a taxi (use Grab/MyCar), fairly safe but be smart/aware. For females, be careful of bag snatch-thieves
tide is offline  
Old Aug 23, 18, 3:09 pm
  #358  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
Posts: 1
Hi everyone! I'm planning a trip to Malaysia soon, but I'm unsure how long to stay in KL for. Would 4 days be enough?
hr22 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 18, 8:09 pm
  #359  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: YXY
Posts: 3,416
After Malaysia, I'm going to Osaka. If I have Ringgit left at the end, I'd like to change them into Japanese Yen. Should I do that in KL or in Osaka? Where can I expect the better deal?
sokolov is offline  
Old Aug 24, 18, 5:01 am
  #360  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,414
Originally Posted by sokolov View Post
After Malaysia, I'm going to Osaka. If I have Ringgit left at the end, I'd like to change them into Japanese Yen. Should I do that in KL or in Osaka? Where can I expect the better deal?
I always cash out my MYR in KL as the MYR is a minor player compared to JPY.
sokolov likes this.
tentseller is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread