Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about Malaysia travel…

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2013, 9:55 pm

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
Originally Posted by JMSIM
I really didn't know where else to post this question, and I didn't want to make a new thread, but I have one question about flying with Malaysia Airlines. If we book a flight to Bangkok via Amsterdam and Kuala Lumpur, is it possible to skip one section of the trip or does that automatically cancel the whole reservation? We were thinking about staying in Kuala Lumpur, continue on with a train to Bangkok and return from there. Is it possible if we dont have any cargo luggage? I couldn't find anything on the rules of the ticket..

It's not Malaysia Airlines specific so should be moved to travelbuzz or another forum, but you lose all segments after the one you skipped. So you'll only want to drop the very last segment, and not if you intend to take the subsequent flights.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:32 pm

Hi, I'm a 29 y/o budget traveler stopping in KL for 3 days along my RTW trip with no idea what to do/see. I'm very intersted in trying foods, active excursions(hiking for scenary etc) and kind of just want to experience the culture. I also enjoy drinks to wind down the day and would like some night life. ideas what to do where to stay?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Gold
Can you point me to a Malaysian Borneo based TA that could get air tickets for me for either AirAsia, MAS Wings, or Malaysian Airlines? I don't think my US credit card will allow me to buy them on the web. I'm going to need to buy 3-4 domestic flight segments when I visit there next year. I don't want to wait until arriving to buy them as the flights I want may be sold out.

I had this problem buying domestic tickets for Indonesia and had to purchase through a TA and use paypal to pay for them.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 9:07 am

I'm not sure about Malaysia airlines portal but Air Asia definitely accepts foreign credit cards. ( non Malaysian cards )
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by susiesan
Can you point me to a Malaysian Borneo based TA that could get air tickets for me for either AirAsia, MAS Wings, or Malaysian Airlines? I don't think my US credit card will allow me to buy them on the web. I'm going to need to buy 3-4 domestic flight segments when I visit there next year. I don't want to wait until arriving to buy them as the flights I want may be sold out.

I had this problem buying domestic tickets for Indonesia and had to purchase through a TA and use paypal to pay for them.
Malaysia Airlines accepts Paypal.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 6:22 pm

I used a US card to buy domestic Malaysia Air tickets on their website without any issues.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by cardesigner2000
I used a US card to buy domestic Malaysia Air tickets on their website without any issues.
Good to know. I'm not ready to buy yet.

Any ideas as to how far in advance to book to get the best fares? Is within 3 months of travel enough time?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:19 pm

Good to know. I'm not ready to buy yet.

Any ideas as to how far in advance to book to get the best fares? Is within 3 months of travel enough time?
We bought 2 months out, and prices were competitive with Air Asia once you added the baggage fees. I suppose if Air Asia has some super sale, you might get cheaper flights, but we only spent $30-40 per flight, so savings are minimal. Oddly some flights were pricier on the MAS wings site than the Malaysia Air site, even though they codeshare.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:57 am

Hi,

Can you please suggest a top 3 must eat, including specific place where if possible? We're a couple of foodie with a 3 days layover there with a nonfussy, adventurous toddler.

Cheers.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by speedy_j
Hi,

Can you please suggest a top 3 must eat, including specific place where if possible? We're a couple of foodie with a 3 days layover there with a nonfussy, adventurous toddler.

Cheers.
That was hard to recommend. If I know the details on what you are looking for, I would try my best. Some people like non commercial places but some like touristy places. When I read your question, only 2 places comes to my mind which is Jalan Alor and Petaling Street. If you need Malay food, you can try Nasi Lemak Antarabangsa which is located in Kampung Baru
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:43 am

Hi,

Any specific dishes or "hidden gems" that locals rave for would definitely be on my list. Chinese, Indian, Malay would be best given the locale.

Cheers.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
FWIW the Southeast Asia board on Chowhound has lots of KL restaurant reviews and threads from the last couple years:
http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/46
Old Jul 4, 2013, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by speedy_j
Hi,

Any specific dishes or "hidden gems" that locals rave for would definitely be on my list. Chinese, Indian, Malay would be best given the locale.

Cheers.
Since taste is more on personal, this is my suggestion :

Indian : Nirwana Maju Banana Leaf. Location : Bangsar. References : http://kyspeaks.com/2009/07/13/nirwa...ce-at-bangsar/

Malay : You can try Nasi Lemak Antarabangsa. Location : Kampung Baru. References : http://www.vkeong.com/2009/07/nasi-l...mpung-baru-kl/

Chinese : I am not good in this because I can't eat some of the best chinese dish due to religion. Better for others to recommend it.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 8:46 pm

Hi there!

Any recommendations for hotels in Penang for 2 nights?
Prefer smaller boutique hotels.

Thanks!
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Hi there!

Any recommendations for hotels in Penang for 2 nights?
Prefer smaller boutique hotels.

Thanks!
If Georgetown, I would prefer Eastern & Oriental Hotel and Lone Pine if you prefer beach hotel at Batu Feringghi. This is my choice when traveling to Penang for food

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.