Reload this Page >

Ask us about Malaysia travel…

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about Malaysia travel…

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:16 am

I jumped in on one of the TK "Special Fares" Biz-Class Fares to Kuala Lumpur.

Do you have any suggestion for an hotel in Kuala Lumpur, which is central and clean and costs no more than app. 40 € per night ?

Edit: Do you know, if I can buy the train tickets to Singapore in advance and is there any possibility of viewing the schedule online and buying the tickets online ?

Last edited by want2fly4less; Feb 21, 2013 at 8:18 am Reason: Typos and additional question
Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: SK EuroBonus, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
I have a question about traveling from central Singapore to downtown Johor Bahru.

I am a little surprised that no buses from central Singapore (i.e. Queen St. Bus Terminal) call at Kotaraya station in Johor Bahru. They either call at Larkin in JB or they don't stop in central Singapore.

Is it possible to disembark the Queen st.-Larkin buses completely at Johor Bahru customs and grab a taxi (or walk) to Kotaraya, or are passengers required to reboard the bus after customs and ride all the way up to Larkin?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Hi, sorry for late reply.

If April or May is your only choice, go in May.

Monsoon season in Malaysia (Rainy)

Northeast part: November-March
Southwest part : May-September

Rainfall peak in April and October throughout Malaysia.

Hope it helps.

Originally Posted by susiesan
I am thinking about a vacation on Borneo in 2014. I'd like to go in April or May. But I'd also like to avoid monsoon season. Can you tell me about weather in KK and Malaysian Borneo or point me to a good web site?

What would be the ideal month to visit Borneo if you had a choice? I will probably by visiting KK, Kuching, and Sandakan for about 10-12 days total. I won't be going to the Indonesian part or Brunei.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Check out Furama Bukit Bintang. I stayed there twice and I would rate them as one of the hotel having the highest quality/price ratio. It's a 4stars hotel and if you book early enough, you could get the rate of app. 50euro/night including tax. Use some other third party website like booking.com and compare the price to their official website though, I remembered getting cheaper price at booking.com

You could buy train tickets in advance. Visit : http://www.ktmb.com.my/
But well, as I have advised other FTers who wanna visit Malaysia, choose bus over train for higher punctuality and higher comfort. The train in Malaysia is totally different form the train in Europe (I experienced both), and the bus in Malaysia definitely will give you a more pleasant experience compared to the buses in Europe. Check out buses like 'five stars tours' : http://www.singaporemalaysiabus.com/five_stars.html

By the way, do you travel from Europe to KL? I'm very interested on the 'special fares' that you mentioned, do you mind dropping me a pm about it?

Hope it helps.

Regards.

Originally Posted by want2fly4less
I jumped in on one of the TK "Special Fares" Biz-Class Fares to Kuala Lumpur.

Do you have any suggestion for an hotel in Kuala Lumpur, which is central and clean and costs no more than app. 40 € per night ?

Edit: Do you know, if I can buy the train tickets to Singapore in advance and is there any possibility of viewing the schedule online and buying the tickets online ?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Hi,

You can just catch a taxi at Johor Bahru custom, you don't have to reboard the bus all the way to Larkin.

Actually there are buses that will only bring you from Queen St to Johor Bahru custom, that would save you a few bucks I think. However, mind that it can be troublesome to get through the custom with luggage, there's stairs etc etc....

Hope it helps.

Regards.

Originally Posted by Mandira
I have a question about traveling from central Singapore to downtown Johor Bahru.

I am a little surprised that no buses from central Singapore (i.e. Queen St. Bus Terminal) call at Kotaraya station in Johor Bahru. They either call at Larkin in JB or they don't stop in central Singapore.

Is it possible to disembark the Queen st.-Larkin buses completely at Johor Bahru customs and grab a taxi (or walk) to Kotaraya, or are passengers required to reboard the bus after customs and ride all the way up to Larkin?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong

By the way, do you travel from Europe to KL? I'm very interested on the 'special fares' that you mentioned, do you mind dropping me a pm about it?
PM dropped ! Hopefully it won`t fall a long way .
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: united mileage plus
I'm coming to KL in about a week and staying at the Impiana. It looks like there is a metro stop nearby and a monorail stop. Do you know which is closer? I've read it's difficult to walk to the monorail at Sentral because of construction - is this still the case? It's my first visit to KL so if you have any tips please feel free to share. I've been to Penang. Thanks
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold
when are school holidays/family vacation times?

dolphinyong: is there usually a Malaysian school holiday in April or May? Is there a time when families go on vacation to the jungle lodges and beach resorts in KK, Kuching, and Sandakan? I want to try to avoid these dates to travel if I can. I have the flexibility to plan around the busiest weeks for the vacation.

According to calendars for this year, 2013, there are no school holidays from April 1 to May 24. Is this the typical time of school term breaks and holidays?

Last edited by susiesan; Feb 23, 2013 at 1:54 pm
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
IC or Hilton KL?

I have an upcoming 2 night in KL - first time ever in Malaysia ^

Which hotel shoudl I stay at? The Hilton seems to get better reviews and seem to sit spot on the rail link to the airport whereas the IC seems to have better location for a 2-day tourist trip. Pricewise I see no big difference.

I'm an IC Royal Amb and Hilton Gold. All things being equal I'd stay at the IC (needed for RA renewal) but things are not equal.

Any advice?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I have an upcoming 2 night in KL - first time ever in Malaysia ^

Which hotel shoudl I stay at? The Hilton seems to get better reviews and seem to sit spot on the rail link to the airport whereas the IC seems to have better location for a 2-day tourist trip. Pricewise I see no big difference.

I'm an IC Royal Amb and Hilton Gold. All things being equal I'd stay at the IC (needed for RA renewal) but things are not equal.

Any advice?
I switched from IC to Hilton for later next month; A's and RA's on the IHG forumn recommend against IC. Treatment for HHonors members is said to be much better FWIW.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
How about location?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
How about location?
Location isn't an issue for me as I enjoy taking public transportation when sight-seeing. IC is closest to Petronas towers if that floats your boat, but the metro seems to go wherever a tourist needs/wants to be. For my money, I would rather stay at the Hilton since my down-time is very important too. The Hilton is right across the street from the metro and is next to the sentral airport check-in/ticketing center; convenient for pre-flight boarding passes, etc.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Check out this school holidays calendar. Avoid the state holidays as well if you wanna have a real quiet holidays. If possible, choose May instead of April (month with average highest rainfall).

Please report back if possible=)

Originally Posted by susiesan
dolphinyong: is there usually a Malaysian school holiday in April or May? Is there a time when families go on vacation to the jungle lodges and beach resorts in KK, Kuching, and Sandakan? I want to try to avoid these dates to travel if I can. I have the flexibility to plan around the busiest weeks for the vacation.

According to calendars for this year, 2013, there are no school holidays from April 1 to May 24. Is this the typical time of school term breaks and holidays?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Check out the bus stop right next to the hotel. I can see that the bus would bring you into the 'Golden Triangle' shopping area and more=) Your hotel would be able to help=)

I'm not sure about the recent construction at KL sentral monorail, but it's always a busy stop so I don't think the construction is so heavy that it will block the way=)

Please kindly report back about your trip.

Hope it helps=)

Originally Posted by fdflys
I'm coming to KL in about a week and staying at the Impiana. It looks like there is a metro stop nearby and a monorail stop. Do you know which is closer? I've read it's difficult to walk to the monorail at Sentral because of construction - is this still the case? It's my first visit to KL so if you have any tips please feel free to share. I've been to Penang. Thanks
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Location isn't an issue for me as I enjoy taking public transportation when sight-seeing. IC is closest to Petronas towers if that floats your boat, but the metro seems to go wherever a tourist needs/wants to be. For my money, I would rather stay at the Hilton since my down-time is very important too. The Hilton is right across the street from the metro and is next to the sentral airport check-in/ticketing center; convenient for pre-flight boarding passes, etc.
Agreed that IC KL was not recommended if you check out the IHG thread.

I have personally stayed at JW Marriott KL, awesome location, lovely service, nothing to be complained=)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.