Wiki Posts
Search

Chiang Rai vs. Luang Prabang

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Chiang Rai vs. Luang Prabang

(similar to the other thread, but not quite!) I am trying to decide between Chiang Rai Vs. Luang Prabang? I have 4 nights to spend total and can either spend them all in one city, split them, or 1-3/3-1. Thoughts?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
As these are two very different cities it's a rather odd question. One is flooded with tourists, has alot of temples a big market in the evening, two rivers and loads of mediocre (at best) restaurants. The other is a laid back city with low key eating establishments, not much to do in town but a bounty of easily seen, with transportation, out-of-town sights.

With only 4 days don't try to split time between the two as there's no direct way to get from one to the other.

QV has a flight LPQ-CNX but you'll spend an entire day getting between LPQ and CEI.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: most of them
despite that post.... I think most people who go there enjoy Luang Prabang. There are some interesting sights around Chiang Rai, but personally I would go to LP.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Luang Prabang has a nicer atmosphere, it's touristy but in a nice way.

If only the cost of getting there is more reasonable ...
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glennaa11
despite that post.... I think most people who go there enjoy Luang Prabang. There are some interesting sights around Chiang Rai, but personally I would go to LP.
Never said I didn't enjoy Luang Pabang. It's just getting more and more difficult to find low key things that aren't flooded by tourists.

LPQ is becoming the Vail* of SE Asia. There are so many additional hotels still being built, and land being converted from local houses for those hotels, that the staff will, in the next few years, be forced to live in the towns outside.

*Vail Colorado for those of you who might have been scratching your chins in wonderment.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Okay with all of this in mind how about LPQ vs. VTE?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Okay with all of this in mind how about LPQ vs. VTE?
VTE worths a visit but LPQ is definitely a little jewel not-to-be-missed.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
I definitely would favor Luang Prabang over Vientiane.

Luang vs. Chiang Rai is a tougher call but I'd give a slight edge to CR. Ten years ago, I would have gone the other way. The tourist flood gets to be too much in Luang.

CR has a (much smaller) night market and a daytime food market, a river offering various excursions, and a temple reflecting Burmese influences. It is a gateway for visiting various hilltribes via trek, elephant, car or boat.

An easy day trip takes you into the heart of the Golden Triangle and, depending on the political situaiton, you can make a quick jog across the Myanmar border to Mae Sae, an interesting trading town. Back in Thailand, you can visit the remote headquarters of the legendary drug lord, Khun Sa.

Good restaurants and accommodations can be found in both destinations the OP is considering.

Last edited by Hawk Circle; Jan 9, 2012 at 3:04 pm
Old Jan 9, 2012, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donlind
An easy day trip takes you into the heart of the Golden Triangle and, depending on the political situaiton, you can make a quick jog across the Myanmar border to Mae Sae, an interesting trading town. Back in Thailand, you can visit the remote headquarters of the legendary drug lord, Khun Sa.
Couple questions; anyone have any good suggestions for putting together/getting a tour or guide for a day trip to Burma from Chiang Rai?

You mention Mae Sae, is that not in Thailand however? I can only find day trips that mention hitting that town on the Thai side and without a border crossing.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I like the Lao personality and hospitality far more than that of the Thai, and LP was a true jewel. Don't dawdle because the picture is fast-a-changing!

I'm planning my own return for fall '12. I was there over American Thanksgiving in 2010 - blazing heat (does it ever cool down there?) You also have to be careful of the "burning months" - they burn the rice stubble starting in Jan or Feb and I understand you can barely see or breathe!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLATL777
Couple questions; anyone have any good suggestions for putting together/getting a tour or guide for a day trip to Burma from Chiang Rai?

You mention Mae Sae, is that not in Thailand however? I can only find day trips that mention hitting that town on the Thai side and without a border crossing.
Just rent a car and head out for a good day trip around Chiang Rai province. I don't find much interest in Mae Sai/Tachilek but there's no harm in doing it and seeing the other side (which is just a market hawking lot's of fake goods).

The only warning I'll issue about this is upon re-entry into Thailand you'll only be stamped in for 15 days.

Driving up to Mae Salong and Doi Tung is a good day trip, as is heading out to Chiang Khan and Chiang Saen/Sop Ruak. If you do head into the mountains just be aware the roads can be steep and narrow.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: various
OP, what time of year are you going? I would lean to Luang Prabang, and particularly if you will be going in May-Sept, basically rainy season (like Siem Reap in Cambodia, LP is a lot more crowded with visitors in the winter/dry season). Chiang Rai is not so much of a destination but a provincial town and staging base. There are some interesting circuits to do in far north Thailand and especially if you are willing to self-drive. (or hire a car with driver). Doi Mae Tung, the Princess Mother's House and Garden, Mae Salong and the tea plantations, Thaton and rafting, in the other direction Chiang Saen, the Golden Triangle (tourist trap sign, but everybody does it anyway), plenty of little villages, etc.

For a poster above: The border crossing excursion from Mae Sai to Tachilek, Burma, is not however, one of those priority must-dos out of Chiang Rai. If you want to do it, you need to get stamped out a Thai immigration, pay your fee and get stamped in at Burmese immigration (may have to leave your passport, not sure what the latest protocol is), wander around Tachilek, and return. You don't need a tour guide for this. The main tricky part is finding the correct location on the Thai side to get stamped out (and back in) at. If Burma is in a good mood and they are allowing the 15 day pass that allows you to go as far as Kengtung before returning, then GO GO GO if you have the time. Kengtung is a fascinating area (Shan majority) with lots of hilltribes that still live and dress like they used to in Thailand 40-50 years ago. You really need to have about 5 free days from the Tachilek border, to round-trip and do this excursion justice, though.

Remember that if you return to Thailand by land and do not have a Thai visa in your passport good for another entry, you will only receive a visa-free entry stamp good for 15 days, not 30.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.