FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/)
-   -   Cebu advice (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/1283701-cebu-advice.html)

taupo Nov 23, 2011 10:36 am

Cebu advice

Happy to read in the Cebu dining thread that we have some local Cebuvians here on FT.

We are looking to make a trip to the Philippines for a week's beach vacation. somewhere different to where our normal travels have taken us.

Arrival in MNL will either from YVR non stop on PAL, or from HKG via PAL or CX.

Price aside, thinking only of ease of travel, is PAL the easiest option to get from MNL to CEB?

Where should we stay? Budget is mid range. Not interested in backpacker hostel, nor some fancy high end place. On the beach is important, as is being safe, secure and walking distance to some dining. Short cab rides are fine to other dining. Interests are reasonable dining, good accomodation, excellent beach, reading, relaxation.

One hears horror stories about travelling in the Philippines and Cebu. How founded are these? What should one be aware of? I'm generally of the opinion that one can find negative opinions of anything anywhere, best to find out for ourselves!

taupo Nov 23, 2011 10:52 am

If wanting a beach vacation is Cebu the best idea?
If not, suggestions are welcome.

jaa2211 Nov 24, 2011 11:02 pm

Cebu is a great place! we were there last Nov for a week. to stay there on the beach you will pay around $150 for a nice place if you try to get anything under 100 a night you are running the risk of it being very shaddy and dirty. if it is a nice place you will pay for it. there is a great looking place to do snorkling and diving half way to Bohol, just south of Cebu, 15min by boat. it is a large reef with many islands but this particular one is a natural reserve while everything around is not. We forgot the number and could not go to it but took a local boat out and did snorkeling in the area and it is amazing!
(talima marine sanctuary cebu) there are places around it to stay at and I cant seem to find the one in the sanctuary that we looked at. there will be a bit cheaper than on Lapu lapu city/cebu. Although you are then stuck on the island but Diving will be cheap just bring your own drinks and snacks I suggest.

the food there is great and buying chicken or their famous pork from a local stand is very good. Cebu is much cleaner than Manila and the food is safer to eat.
Palawan is great too but I havent been yet. Sun here is very HOT and you burn easy so get and use LOTS of suntan lotion.
PS using a taxi always ask if they are using the meter. its never cheaper if they try to make a deal.

work2fly Nov 27, 2011 11:20 am

PAL to PAL connections at MNL are the easiest since you won't have to change terminals. Same with Cebu Pacific.

If the beach is important to you, be careful how you choose your hotel. We stayed at the Hilton, and the beach and pool areas were not fine, contrary to a trip report you may find elsewhere on Flyertalk. Small overcrowded pool that is in the shade most of the day and an artificial beach area right next to a Marina and the associated dirty water and air.

The Shangri La has the best beach area I've seen but there may be other more boutique types of properties that also have nice beaches.

If it were me, I would spend a day or two in Cebu City, as there are attractions, sight-seeing and shopping options, and then spend my beach time on Bohol (a short ferry ride away) - Panglao island having some fairly decent beach and diving resorts.