Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma

Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ianmanka
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Myanmar's Ministry of Immigration and Population e-visa program began September, 2014. The process is available online to visitors from 101 countries, incurs a cost of USD $50 (as opposed to $40 at an embassy) charged to a secure Visa card and takes three (business) days for an approval e-mail. Print the e-mail for airport use and present it on arrival at Yangon, Mandalay or Nay Pyi Taw airports. The cost for a business visa is US$70 and requires an invitation letter from host company.

Ordinary passport holders from the following countries are giving [given?] visa exemption for 14 days-
Brunei
Cambodia
Indonesia
Laos
Philippines
Thailand (Three International Airports Only)
Viet Nam

Updated September 9th, 2015

For a US citizen, a regular visa can be obtained before leaving the USA. You can download the form from the website, http://www.mewashingtondc.com/visa_en.php
You must mail your passport, completed form and payment to the embassy in Washington DC. As of December 2016, the fee for a tourist visa has been increased to $40.
Updated January 30th, 2017

Print Wikipost

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma

Old Nov 25, 2012, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
2-day turnaround....... 1-day at extra charge.........

Originally Posted by azj
Any recent experiences with obtaining the Myanmar visa in Bangkok?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
2-day turnaround....... 1-day at extra charge.........
You can do same day too, for a few more baht.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:54 pm

Data point for MyanmarVisa.com for anyone else interested in the future --

I recently applied and received an approval letter via email within 11 days after submitting my information to their email (didn't really trust their form on their site). I had a couple of questions for them since my friend didn't have a confirmed flight from BKK to RGN yet, but their response turnaround time was quick; usually within 1 business day if not the same day.

The approval letter is a scan of a paper letter and the quality could definitely be better. I might mention that to them. Along with this attachment was also a chart of everyone else getting their visas through MyanmarVisa.com. The chart has everyone's passport numbers and birthdays. :/ Kind of weird, I wish they had blurred out everyone else's information.

The MyanmarVisa rep said someone would be waiting for us at the airport by the VOA counter, so hopefully all goes well. My trip is later this month.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:33 pm
jtn

Programs: UA 1K
Desperate. No visa after 2.5 weeks.

My trip starts this Sunday Dec. 9th from Portland. I'm flying to Shanghai first then down to Yangon.

I sent my passport to the embassy in Washington DC 2.5 weeks ago. I haven't received it back.

I am getting so worried. I tried calling and emailing many times each day. No one ever answers the phone.

I'm at a point where I am willing to cancel my Shanghai - Yangon trip. But I need to get my passport back so I can get to Shanghai.

Does anyone have any other phone numbers at the embassy that I can call? (beside the ones listed on their website)

(Sweating bullets)
Old Dec 3, 2012, 3:25 pm

Do you know when they received the passport?

It says 10 business days for processing ... which is probably just about now (if you include Veterans Day and Thanksgiving).

Originally Posted by jtn
My trip starts this Sunday Dec. 9th from Portland. I'm flying to Shanghai first then down to Yangon.

I sent my passport to the embassy in Washington DC 2.5 weeks ago. I haven't received it back.

I am getting so worried. I tried calling and emailing many times each day. No one ever answers the phone.

I'm at a point where I am willing to cancel my Shanghai - Yangon trip. But I need to get my passport back so I can get to Shanghai.

Does anyone have any other phone numbers at the embassy that I can call? (beside the ones listed on their website)

(Sweating bullets)
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:02 am
jtn

Programs: UA 1K
Finally someone from the embassy emailed me back. They're mailing my passport back today. So I should get it before my trip. (crossing fingers)
So it does take at least 10 business days for them to process a visa. Lesson learned, apply for visa at least 1 month in advance.

Originally Posted by jtn

(Sweating bullets)
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1P, BA Silver
I was at the embassy today and noticed only 2 people are working at the visa section. Also saw a pile of passports that is literally few feet high I think December is a high touristy season.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:05 pm

Glad to hear.

It does say 10 business days on the form ... RTFM?

Originally Posted by jtn
Finally someone from the embassy emailed me back. They're mailing my passport back today. So I should get it before my trip. (crossing fingers)
So it does take at least 10 business days for them to process a visa. Lesson learned, apply for visa at least 1 month in advance.

Last edited by malgudi; Dec 4, 2012 at 1:19 pm
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:29 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
..... and if all else fails or you leave it till the last minute, your hotel in Bangkok will get someone to run around and pick one up for you. I give them my passport in the morning and it is back by 2pm.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I got my visa in NY, was incredibly hassle free. Forms and $20 at the window, pick up time about a week later.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by jtn
I'm in similar situation, traveling next week and no Visa yet, though I just mailed last week. Today, I finally got a live person on 202-332-9045. I asked to have the passport sent back to me with or without the visa. They agreed to send it back today, hopefully with the visa.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
My wife's and my passports with visas arrived today 14 December in San Diego. Our trip begins in four days on 18 December, traveling to Thailand for three weeks before going to Myanmar in January.

We sent them to the DC embassy from Maui, on 21 November (right before Thanksgiving) after returning from foreign travel.

They arrived at the embassy on 26 November and were sent back on 12 December. The effective visa date is 10 December.

23 days total with FedEx 2Day. The shipment to the embassy took longer because of Thanksgiving. Seems like it would have been a 3 week turnaround without that.

As mentioned, we were traveling outside the country, and had a 28 day window to get the visas. Too close for comfort, and as more people travel to Myanmar, it will surely take longer.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
One more (slightly older) datapoint:

Got my visa earlier this year (February, so no holidays involved).

27 days from overnight Fedex to having it in my hands. Too close for comfort. I think they are understaffed, demand has taken them by surprise.

Really irritating: couldn't get a conclusive answer about visa-on-arrival anywhere, so I didn't take a chance. When I arrived, the visa-on-arrival counter was open for business, no lines.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 8:40 am

Stop the kvetching, it is business days ... not calendar

27 Nov - 10 Dec is 10 business days, exactly as it says on their web site.

Originally Posted by hiyo
My wife's and my passports with visas arrived today 14 December in San Diego. Our trip begins in four days on 18 December, traveling to Thailand for three weeks before going to Myanmar in January.

We sent them to the DC embassy from Maui, on 21 November (right before Thanksgiving) after returning from foreign travel.

They arrived at the embassy on 26 November and were sent back on 12 December. The effective visa date is 10 December.

23 days total with FedEx 2Day. The shipment to the embassy took longer because of Thanksgiving. Seems like it would have been a 3 week turnaround without that.

As mentioned, we were traveling outside the country, and had a 28 day window to get the visas. Too close for comfort, and as more people travel to Myanmar, it will surely take longer.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:44 pm

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by chollie
One more (slightly older) datapoint:

Really irritating: couldn't get a conclusive answer about visa-on-arrival anywhere, so I didn't take a chance. When I arrived, the visa-on-arrival counter was open for business, no lines.
There has been a visa on arrival counter there all the time but it is very limited who can use it. Back in February it would only have been for issuing pre arranged visas on arrival. Now business travellers can get a visa on arrival with an invitation from a registered company in Myanmar without having to pre arrnage it (although there are reports of airlines not knowing about this and refusing to carry people without a visa even with the inviation letter).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.