Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma

Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ianmanka
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Myanmar's Ministry of Immigration and Population e-visa program began September, 2014. The process is available online to visitors from 101 countries, incurs a cost of USD $50 (as opposed to $40 at an embassy) charged to a secure Visa card and takes three (business) days for an approval e-mail. Print the e-mail for airport use and present it on arrival at Yangon, Mandalay or Nay Pyi Taw airports. The cost for a business visa is US$70 and requires an invitation letter from host company.

Ordinary passport holders from the following countries are giving [given?] visa exemption for 14 days-
Brunei
Cambodia
Indonesia
Laos
Philippines
Thailand (Three International Airports Only)
Viet Nam

Updated September 9th, 2015

For a US citizen, a regular visa can be obtained before leaving the USA. You can download the form from the website, http://www.mewashingtondc.com/visa_en.php
You must mail your passport, completed form and payment to the embassy in Washington DC. As of December 2016, the fee for a tourist visa has been increased to $40.
Updated January 30th, 2017

Print Wikipost

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma

Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by shannonabroad
Traveling to Myanmar early March. US visa wait is minimum three weeks, with no guarantee. Has anyone gotten a same day visa in Bangkok for Myanmar?
Yes, it appears so. Please see the link below (particularly post #8 )

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...a-arrival.html

To quote from post #8.

Last April, I went on the BKK-RGN air asia and also a US citizen. Got the visa at the Myanmar embassy in BKK the day before the flight. Dropped forms/photos/passport off in the morning and picked it up in the afternoon. No problems, no passport service.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 5:29 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Although they sometimes do issue visas the sameday it is not guarenteed. Personally I would plan that I will drop it off one day and pick it up the next day just incase.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by madison8
Myanmar was a great experience and I am glad I went. I might try another trip in 2012.
I'm thinking of going at the end of the year. Any recommendations? Bagan is our top priority.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: most of them
Bagan should be at the top of everyone's list. It is astounding. Take the balloon trip in Bagan if you can possibly afford it (it's not cheap at about $300). But it's a great view from up there.

I also liked Inle Lake quite a lot too. Beautiful scenery. Cool nights. Quiet.

Mandalay I didn't enjoy so much.

If you have the time making the trek to Sittwe and Mrauk U can be worthwhile. It isn't as amazing as Bagan, but has some nice places to see. And unlike Bagan the people still live in little villages very near to the monuments as they have for a loooong time. Tons of little kids running around, and lots of smoky cooking fires.

Definitely plan ahead. The tourism infrastructure is rather limited.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Definitely plan ahead. The tourism infrastructure is rather limited.
Thanks for your reply.

We only have about a week devoted to Myanmar. We are thinking a couple days in Yangon, 1 day each way to travel to Bagan, and then a couple days in Bagan. So that would be a week. We would be flying in and out of Yangon.

Any recommendations for Yangon?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:55 pm

Of course Shwe Dagon Pagoda is THE real must-see spot in Yangon. Go late in the afternoon and stay past sundown when it is all lit up. Really awesome. If you have a tripod take it along for incredible night time photo ops.

Other than that frankly I didn't think there was all that much to see. Sule Pagoda is somewhat interesting, but there are a million temples and I found Sule somewhat underwhelming.

My last day in Yangon my guide took me on a ferry across the river to an area which is much poorer to see how more of the "real people" live. The area down by the river where the little shuttle boats come and go was interesting for a quick visit.

You shouldn't lose a day going to Bagan. Most of the flights are VERY early in the AM. So you will arrive in Bagan by around 9 AM and have a full day ahead of you. Likewise flights out of Bagan are usually fairly early as well.

You may want to do a day in Yangon, then 3 days or so Bagan, then maybe fly over to Inle Lake for a couple of days before returning to Yangon for a final day.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11
You shouldn't lose a day going to Bagan. Most of the flights are VERY early in the AM. So you will arrive in Bagan by around 9 AM and have a full day ahead of you. Likewise flights out of Bagan are usually fairly early as well.
Budget travel. We take the bus
Old Feb 17, 2012, 3:51 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Budget travel. We take the bus
Hopefully you are joking because for a week trip in Myanmar and shuffling between Yangon and upcountry, you need either 1) to fly or 2) lots of time. You cannot assume a bus between the two will take just a day. I once had a Mandalay-Bhamo one day (overnight) trip turn into 3 days!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by jiejie
Hopefully you are joking because for a week trip in Myanmar and shuffling between Yangon and upcountry, you need either 1) to fly or 2) lots of time. You cannot assume a bus between the two will take just a day. I once had a Mandalay-Bhamo one day (overnight) trip turn into 3 days!
Nope, not joking. I'm not a typical FTer!!! (Always flown coach) I had a similar scenario happen with a train in Vietnam. Worst case time scenario we are in Myanmar for a few extra days. No big deal.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Nope, not joking. I'm not a typical FTer!!! (Always flown coach) I had a similar scenario happen with a train in Vietnam. Worst case time scenario we are in Myanmar for a few extra days. No big deal.
As long as you have flexibility in your schedule it can work. For a hard and fast 7 day chunk of time to get in/out of Myanmar, a risky plan. I'm not a typical FT'er either, but do have a lot of experience with my butt in a developing Asian-country bus seat. Let's put it this way: your butt will be sorest when alighting from the Myanmar bus vs the Laos bus, the Cambodia bus, the Vietnam bus, the China bus, etc. etc.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:34 am

Thanks jiejie, I will keep that in mind
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Lobster
Although they sometimes do issue visas the sameday it is not guarenteed. Personally I would plan that I will drop it off one day and pick it up the next day just incase.
I need to correct myself as they do formally offer a fast track one day service for USD40. You need to be there first thing in the morning and you can pick you visa up after 3pm the same day.

I would probably stick to my advice that I would not totally rely on this.
Old May 3, 2012, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lobster
I need to correct myself as they do formally offer a fast track one day service for USD40. You need to be there first thing in the morning and you can pick you visa up after 3pm the same day.

I would probably stick to my advice that I would not totally rely on this.
Any update on this procedure? Is same day service still doable?
Old May 4, 2012, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Any update on this procedure? Is same day service still doable?
Yes I know someone who got a same day tourist visa two weeks ago from the Bangkok Embassy.

It does seem that the visa on arrival will remain suspended for the foreseeable future. The Gov't had a meeting with tour operators recently and they all agreed that until there are more hotel rooms it would not be sensible to reinstate the visa on arrival as there is a real risk that tourist would arrive and not be able to find anywhere to stay. So for the time being everyone will have to continue to get their visas before coming.
Old May 4, 2012, 9:56 am

That actually seems like a sensible reason. I seem to recall when I applied for my visa I had to supply a copy of my itinerary. Of course it would still be possible to change plans and you could apply in advance and still in theory arrive without accommodation plans.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.