Reload this Page >

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ianmanka
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Myanmar's Ministry of Immigration and Population e-visa program began September, 2014. The process is available online to visitors from 101 countries, incurs a cost of USD $50 (as opposed to $40 at an embassy) charged to a secure Visa card and takes three (business) days for an approval e-mail. Print the e-mail for airport use and present it on arrival at Yangon, Mandalay or Nay Pyi Taw airports. The cost for a business visa is US$70 and requires an invitation letter from host company.

Ordinary passport holders from the following countries are giving [given?] visa exemption for 14 days-
Brunei
Cambodia
Indonesia
Laos
Philippines
Thailand (Three International Airports Only)
Viet Nam

Updated September 9th, 2015

For a US citizen, a regular visa can be obtained before leaving the USA. You can download the form from the website, http://www.mewashingtondc.com/visa_en.php
You must mail your passport, completed form and payment to the embassy in Washington DC. As of December 2016, the fee for a tourist visa has been increased to $40.
Updated January 30th, 2017

Print Wikipost

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Gold
you can't trust FedEx either

Originally Posted by dtsm
Personal quirk: I'm just paranoid of mailing my passport, unless use FedEx - in which case the cost differential is small. And the cost of getting passport replaced, along with all the hassles.

But that's just my own hangup
I was FedEx that lost our passports that were being sent to the Vietnamese Embassy for visas in 2006. They made it as far as a distribution center in Philadelphia then disappeared. I put in a claim with Fed Ex but because I had not insured for actual value all I got was $100. I had to report the 2 passports as lost and pay the cost for new pictures and getting them reissued which was more than $100. After trying to get FedEx to pay the total costs incurred for the lost package and they refused, I stopped shipping with FedEx at my business. I still won't use them and they lose over $10K a year in shipping revenue from me because of this. yes, I hold a grudge.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by susiesan
yes, I hold a grudge.
I'll make sure never to tick you off, LOL!
Old Aug 4, 2014, 12:53 pm

my TA can get me VOA

My travel agency, Myanmar Shalom tells me they cn now get me a visa on arrival. They need some information from me, most of the same that is asked for on the Myanmar Embassy visa application, a scanned copy of the passport page, and to bring 2 pictures. The visa cost is $20 and the VOA cost is an additional $30.

Does this sound accurate? Are local TA's now being allowed to process visa applications?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by susiesan
My travel agency, Myanmar Shalom tells me they cn now get me a visa on arrival. They need some information from me, most of the same that is asked for on the Myanmar Embassy visa application, a scanned copy of the passport page, and to bring 2 pictures. The visa cost is $20 and the VOA cost is an additional $30.

Does this sound accurate? Are local TA's now being allowed to process visa applications?
Yes, sounds accurate. It worked for my gf and me in late December 2013!
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:31 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Yes it has always been possible to get a visa through a travel agent that you pick up on arrival. This is still very popular way for people to get their vissa which means you might have quite a wait at the desk to get your visa.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:55 pm

E-visa to start 1st September

The Myanmar Tourism ministry has announced that their e-visa system will start from the 1st September. It is only valid for tourist visas for people arriving at Yangon airport and it will cost USD50 compared to USD30 if you get your visa at an embassy in advance

The website is http://www.myanmarevisa.gov.mm/
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:00 am

Wink it's about time

Woo hoo!

I don't see any requirement for a photo like the mail in visa requires.

Please report to us here on FT anyone who is successful getting the visa this way. My trip isn't until Oct. 31 and I hope I can use the e visa application.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
FYI, anyone living in NY/NJ/CT can mail-in (or drop off in person) and have mailed back (or pick up in person) to the Myanmar consulate on the upper east side. I did this a couple of months ago, with about a two-day turn. Very easy.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:51 am

I am going to be in Singapore next month, and I am wondering is it possible to visit Yangon as a day trip?

I know this is NOT possible in Siem Reap as immigration wont allow it.

But it would save me 1/2 nights accommodation in Yangon, if this is possible there.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
I am going to be in Singapore next month, and I am wondering is it possible to visit Yangon as a day trip?

I know this is NOT possible in Siem Reap as immigration wont allow it.

But it would save me 1/2 nights accommodation in Yangon, if this is possible there.
There is no rule against it and I have done a day trip to Yangon in the past. Although I did it from Bangkok where the flight times are better, from Singapore I don't think that you would have much time in Yangon to see the sights.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Huh. In fall 2012 the visa fee to get a Burma visa in the USA was $10. Of course, sending it via delivery service probably pushed the price up to $40-$50 but I can't recall. The process was quick though, and even with the shipping of passport I considered it low-hassle (compared to e.g. China).

Still, I'd prefer to not have to mail my passport off. Hopefully this new thing happens, and sticks.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Just a friendly reminder that cross-posting is not permitted on FlyerTalk — inquiries may be posted in one forum only. If you feel a post would be better suited to a different forum, please use the alert button that appears in the lower left corner of every post to request that the post be moved.

A cross-posted query, which also happened to be off-topic for this thread, has been deleted along with subsequent replies.

Thanks all!

~Moderator
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Lobster
The Myanmar Tourism ministry has announced that their e-visa system will start from the 1st September. It is only valid for tourist visas for people arriving at Yangon airport and it will cost USD50 compared to USD30 if you get your visa at an embassy in advance

The website is http://www.myanmarevisa.gov.mm/
The site actually opened for applications on August 11th. I did an application about two weeks ago and they charged my credit card and the status check says "approved". However, I never received the promised email confirmation nor the actual e-visa email. Nor have they replied to my several requests via their contact form.
Has anybody had any luck with this, or does anybody have an actual email address for them?
Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by NDFan
The site actually opened for applications on August 11th. I did an application about two weeks ago and they charged my credit card and the status check says "approved". However, I never received the promised email confirmation nor the actual e-visa email. Nor have they replied to my several requests via their contact form.
Has anybody had any luck with this, or does anybody have an actual email address for them?
Thanks.
That's kind of scary. I was going to do this in a few weeks for my visas but I'm not so sure now. My TA will do this for me in Yangon and have the visa for me when I get there. But they want me to scan the passports and email to them. First of all, I don't have a scanner so don't know how I'd get it to them. Second, I'm not comfortable with sending a scanned passport via email. I don't know how secure that would be to identity theft.

if you don't get the info/visa when the credit card bill comes you had best dispute the charges. That will get their attention.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:06 am

Finally I have my e-visa, but I had to get a friend living in Yangon to phone the Ministry and have it forwarded to her gmail address. Apparently there is a problem in that they cannot send to some types of email addresses. My email is at a corporate domain registered and hosted by Network Solutions, one of the first and biggest ISPs so I don't know why it didn't work.

You might have more success if you use an email address from a public domain like gmail, yahoo etc.

BTW the port of entry is only Yangon Int'l Airport, and the 3 conditions on the letter are (1) Passport with min 6 months vaildity; (2) Sufficient funds for period of stay; (3) Confirmed onward/return air ticket.

Happy Travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.