Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Itinerary advice needed - Vietnam for 9 days

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2011, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Itinerary advice needed - Vietnam for 9 days

I have 9 days to spend and would like to go to Vietnam. So far I have sketched out the following itinerary:

Day 1 - Hanoi
Day 2 - Hanoi
Day 3 - Halong Bay
Day 4 - Hoi An
Day 5 - Hoi An
Day 6 - Hue
Day 7 - Hue
Day 8 - HCMC
Day 9 - HCMC

I'm more into sightseeing and experiencing the food/culture, less so seeing temples and palaces. Is this doable, or should I change it? I also noticed that there are some organized tours that go to the same cities, should I consider it to maximize my time? I will be travelling solo.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 5:47 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by travel_geek
I have 9 days to spend and would like to go to Vietnam. So far I have sketched out the following itinerary:

Day 1 - Hanoi
Day 2 - Hanoi
Day 3 - Halong Bay
Day 4 - Hoi An
Day 5 - Hoi An
Day 6 - Hue
Day 7 - Hue
Day 8 - HCMC
Day 9 - HCMC

I'm more into sightseeing and experiencing the food/culture, less so seeing temples and palaces. Is this doable, or should I change it? I also noticed that there are some organized tours that go to the same cities, should I consider it to maximize my time? I will be travelling solo.
Whether you take tours depends on whether you are a tours person. Personally I think 1 days in Halong Bay is too short (it takes 4 hours to get there and 4 hours back), I prefer Hanoi to HCMC and while I really enjoyed Hue it's mainly about seeing temples.

Hanoi you can see on your own but totally recommend you google "hanoi Kids", these are students who will show you around for free, really good and they will adjust to see whatever you want.

Halong Bay would definitely recommend a tour, suggest Red Dragon (or sister ships Dragons Pearl or Prince/Princess), they go to a less touristed part of Halong Bay, are much smaller and for me strike a good balance. There are some very expensive floating brothels out there and also some very cheap but very nasty options. Check on Tripadvisor this gets very good review and is a inexpensive "luxury" option.

Hue no needs for a guide, you can pick a cyclo driver cheap outside your hotel, Hoi An is more of a walk around place.

HCMC is an interesing place but could be anywhere in Asia reallly. Food is good everywhere but HAnoi and Hoi An probably best IMO.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:37 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I quite agree with Burmans, but yours is such a short trip - in my opinion too short to be moving around so much. It would help if you give dates. Personally, I like the North far more than the South, and Sapa is probably the most photogenic location in the entire country, save Halong Bay.

I too feel that Hue is only interesting to a point, and if you are not a history buff, I would skip it. I'm also not big on Saigon - Hanoi is the real jewel in my opinion (along with Sapa and Hoi An). Transport will slow you down considerably (road travel can be not only slow, but damn dangerous in VN). The fact is, you really need another week or 10 days to see this country properly.

I also agree with Burmans about Hanoikids (and other student groups) - the people in Vietnam are far far far more interesting than the junks of Halong Bay! Reserve with Hanoikids, or Danangkids or Saigonhotpot at least a month in advance (each has a website with booking instructions).

I think you will enjoy this trip far more if you research, book and travel completely on your own. Local day tours are fine, but you don't need an expensive guided tour to have a fantastic experience in Vietnam. (hint - travelfish.org has great hints for all of SEA)

Last edited by Daawgon; Nov 24, 2011 at 11:43 pm
Old Nov 25, 2011, 5:52 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Daawgon
I quite agree with Burmans, but yours is such a short trip - in my opinion too short to be moving around so much. It would help if you give dates. Personally, I like the North far more than the South, and Sapa is probably the most photogenic location in the entire country, save Halong Bay.

I too feel that Hue is only interesting to a point, and if you are not a history buff, I would skip it. I'm also not big on Saigon - Hanoi is the real jewel in my opinion (along with Sapa and Hoi An). Transport will slow you down considerably (road travel can be not only slow, but damn dangerous in VN). The fact is, you really need another week or 10 days to see this country properly.

I also agree with Burmans about Hanoikids (and other student groups) - the people in Vietnam are far far far more interesting than the junks of Halong Bay! Reserve with Hanoikids, or Danangkids or Saigonhotpot at least a month in advance (each has a website with booking instructions).

I think you will enjoy this trip far more if you research, book and travel completely on your own. Local day tours are fine, but you don't need an expensive guided tour to have a fantastic experience in Vietnam. (hint - travelfish.org has great hints for all of SEA)
Agree on Sapa, very interesting place, Hue is absolurtely all about temples.

Aside from that yes, Vietnam is a very easy place to get around. One recommendation though, most hotels offer a very cheap pickup service from the airports, not that taxis are bad but getting a pickup is a cheap luxury.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I will do some more research and planning.

Originally Posted by Daawgon
It would help if you give dates.
I'm planning on flying in on Dec 28 , and out on the night of Jan 4. Just realized I will be there during New Year's. Which one of the above cities are the best for celebrating on New Year's eve?
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by travel_geek
Thanks for your replies. I will do some more research and planning.

I'm planning on flying in on Dec 28 , and out on the night of Jan 4. Just realized I will be there during New Year's. Which one of the above cities are the best for celebrating on New Year's eve?
I was in Vietnam last NYE, we actually flew from Hoi An to HCMC on NYE arriving late.

Ho Chi Minh city was absoutely pumping, people on bikes everywhere but it looked like they were planning abig night in Hoi An today and it's probably more naviguble there. I think you enjoy wherever you are.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:34 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I too am planning a trip for 4 to 6 days with my wife and two daughters who are in their twenties. Planning on going the 20th of December. Any additional ideas or suggestions would be very welcome. Also are their any high beach resorts in Vietnam. We are thinking of just hanging for a couple of days at the end of the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.