Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Luang Prabang - fly from Hanoi or Bangkok

Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

While LP is closer to Hanoi, there doesn't seem to be any difference in the airfares between flying from Hanoi or Bangkok.

I just hate paying USD300-350 return for an hour flight on an ATR (flying from Hanoi), while the longer flight from Bangkok seems to be less of a rip-off.

I know it's the end result that matters (getting to your destination), but the "FT" in me is resisting giving in to those rip-off fares from HAN even if I do have a few days to spare in Hanoi.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:40 am

Programs: SPG Gold, A|Club Platinum, Club Carlson Silver Elite, QF Bronze
Consider one of these.

http://www.bangkokair.com/en/plan-yo...ry-airpass.php

It might be useful depending on your itinerary. That is, if you plan on flying at least 2 other legs (3 in total) on Bangkok Airways or Lao Airlines.

If you have any difficulty finding the prices, here is a link. http://www.bangkokair.com/en/plan-yo...per-coupon.php

Note that the fares are exclusive of taxes and charges. You can find the respective taxes & charges for each route by doing a ordinary "dummy booking" on their web site.

It is worth mentioning that you can email Bangkok Airways Reservations to book this, however I imagine the reservation team would be stretched to capacity right now.

Cheers

Caide
Old Nov 5, 2011, 2:48 am

Airfare pricing economics have very little to do with distance flown, and more to do with demand and supply. Also, you have to factor in sunk costs you might incur as a result of an indirect routing, and the opportunity cost (forgone time in the place where you want to be) that might arise.

Very often a more expensive flight that gets you where you want to go when you want to go there is worth the premium.

For a fare difference of just a few hundred dollars, significantly altering one's travel itinerary or routing rarely makes sense. As with many things in life, the cheapest option is often not the best value.

However more information is needed for people to be able to suggest what you should do. It is unclear from your post exactly which options you are considering, and what impact taking the cheaper flights would have on the rest of your trip.

Edit--

I just read the original post again and saw that the flights seem to be about the same price either way. In this case, the economically rational decision is clearly to take the flights that best suit your schedule and itinerary. As you said, it is getting from A to B that matters- the distance flown is irrelevant.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Nov 5, 2011 at 2:55 am
Old Nov 5, 2011, 8:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I must admit I didn't make myself very clear.

I travel across SE Asia frequently, and both Hanoi and Bangkok are cities which I visit quite regularly. I have an upcoming trip to Hanoi. I have already done all the usual side trips from Hanoi, and LP seems to be the only other option left.

However when I look at the airfares to LP, even though Hanoi has the 'distance' advantage, in terms of 'pricing' it's no different from flying from Bangkok which I also visit regularly.

My question is what is the advantage of visiting LP from Hanoi rather than from Bangkok ? OK the flights are on ATR which is not very kind on my sensitive ears, so the shorter the flight maybe the effect is less. Any other factor I should consider ?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
So far as I'm aware PG is flying an ATR between BKK-LPQ. Is VN/QV doing the same?

The discovery airpass can be a good deal but it books into L and availability, especially on the ATR routes, can disappear quickly.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:54 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I don't quite see your point here - these are damn short flights. Last November I took the VN flight from HAN to LPQ and back (Fokker 70) and it was fine. Yes, it's true that Bangkok Air is most likely a more comfortable flight, but so what? I do read that the Lao Air flights are better rated with a real meal on the HAN-LPQ segment (Lao Air codeshares with VN on the route). I paid $312. and I have no complaints. The thing I really hate about BKK are those really really really long walks to the gate!

To the best of my knowledge, the ATR flights on the HAN-LPQ route are Lao Air.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.