FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/)
-   -   Southeast Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/1264275-southeast-asia.html)

yan19454 Sep 29, 2011 6:51 am

Southeast Asia

I will go to HKG in mid of Nov and meet my friend in SIN next two days. They will drive me to sumatra indonesia. I plan to go to Java and bali and etc. What is the transportation choice I have.

I looked at the map. It seems short distance. Time wise I have four weeks.

The final destination will be Guangzhou, China. I plan to stay there for 8 days and fly out from HKG. I booked EWR to HKG and HKG to EWR already.
Thanks.

I am thinking about back pack style. Enjoy culture and nature scene.

I grew up in China and had been Japan, Thailand and other coutries and well travel not in back pack style.

PomPalm Oct 8, 2011 2:48 pm

If you can, I recommend a visit to Hainan. It is a beautiful island, there's lots to see.
You should be able to get a cheap flight to either Haikou or Sanya.
For example, you could fly from Guangzhou to Haikou or Sanya, stay for a few days, and then fly to HKG.

skchin Oct 8, 2011 8:28 pm

What about Macau for some wholesome gambling fun?

Tigersan Oct 13, 2011 10:32 am

Originally Posted by yan19454 (Post 17191985)
I will go to HKG in mid of Nov and meet my friend in SIN next two days. They will drive me to sumatra indonesia. I plan to go to Java and bali and etc. What is the transportation choice I have.

Without knowing your departing city in Sumatra and if you have any preference location to go to in Java/Bali, here are some local low cost air carriers:

- Air Asia Indonesia
- Lion Air
- Sriwijaya Air

whackyjacky Oct 13, 2011 11:43 am

I really enjoyed Lombok and the Gilis (the next islands after Bali). The new airport should be done now too. It may be out of your way, but Palawan in the Philippines is maybe the most beautiful place I've ever been and it's got it all for the backpacker. PM me if you want to check out my pics. wj

flyerred Oct 13, 2011 1:01 pm

Would it ever be advisable to not take a low cost asian carrier and instead use one of the major airlines coverd by ITA? Getting to Bali with the ITA covered carriers costs about $600 round trip from Singapore, but using low cost carriers its only about $150 or so.

whackyjacky Oct 13, 2011 1:52 pm

Go cheap ! wj

flyerred Oct 13, 2011 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by whackyjacky (Post 17269207)
Go cheap ! wj

Can you recommend a low cost carrier to get from Bali to either Shanghai, Hong Kong, or Taiwan? Im considering flying into Sngapore, then using a low cost carrier to Bali, then hopefully moving onwards.

Tigersan Oct 13, 2011 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by flyerred (Post 17268868)
Would it ever be advisable to not take a low cost asian carrier and instead use one of the major airlines coverd by ITA? Getting to Bali with the ITA covered carriers costs about $600 round trip from Singapore, but using low cost carriers its only about $150 or so.

Say you arrive really late into SIN as a transit point before connecting to DPS. And you fly with tons of luggage which cost you nothing as you have status with your airline. The check in counter for the non-frill airlines won't open till the next morning.

In such situation I might be tempted to fly with an airline that has an interline baggage agreement with the airline I was flying with into SIN. Get the baggage tagged all the way to DPS. This way I wouldn't need to pass the immigration to pick up my luggage, wait till the check-in counter open (pay luggage fee), go back through the immigration.

whackyjacky Oct 13, 2011 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by flyerred (Post 17269459)
Can you recommend a low cost carrier to get from Bali to either Shanghai, Hong Kong, or Taiwan? Im considering flying into Sngapore, then using a low cost carrier to Bali, then hopefully moving onwards.

I don't think there is one. $400 OW to those 3. Only $100 (or less) to BKK, KUL, or SIN on Air Asia. You can get to your next stop cheaply from 1 of them, I bet. Plan accordingly. Maybe check out a CX 'All Asia Fare' if you're not in Asia already. I think they still have 'em. TG does some kind of ASEAN Airpass too. wj