Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hotels i Mandalay, Burma

Hotels i Mandalay, Burma

Old Jul 19, 11, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA
Hotels i Mandalay, Burma

Would appreciate recommendations for non Government run hotels in Mandalay.

Thanks
Old Aug 6, 11, 6:19 pm

Hi,
I have a few recommendation from first hand experience.

In Mandalay I stayed at the Red Canal hotel, it was quiet family run hotel, great rooms very clean.
They had a small sort restaurant bar for breakfast and dinner, I dine there one evening and it was good.

In Bagan, I stayed at the Bagan hotel, rooms were average but clean and very friendly, great breakfast spot on the edge of the river, it unreal.

Yangoon I stayed at the Park Royal, again okay, a short walk to the city centre.
The burmese people are unbelievable, the county is so misunderstood by the west, Agreed the Junta should be outlawed but you will notice that the people really on the tourist dollars, these dollars go straight to the people not the junta, if you want to help spend.

On spending, its all cash USD, NO CREDIT CARDS at all, hotels are cash also, its hard walking around with so much money.

Have a great trip, I love burma and enjoy before the secret gets out.
Old Aug 7, 11, 9:48 pm

Programs: Can't be bothered anymore...
I believe there's a Trader Hotel as well in Yangoon.
Old Aug 14, 11, 2:47 am
JPB

Programs: BAEC, LH M&M
The Sedona Hotels in both Mandalay and Yangon are nice and non government owned (in fact very little tourist infrastructure is Government owned apart from the airports of course which you can not really avoid unless you want a very bumpy over land journey).
Old Aug 15, 11, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1P, BA Silver
We stayed at Mandalay Hill Resort hotel. Highly recommended. Great view, food and people. Request the rooms that faces the hill!
Old Sep 7, 11, 12:27 am

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Can't go wrong with the Red Canal in Mandalay. We stayed there in the first week of August and would stay there again. You should contact a local travel agency to book any hotel as they will have cheaper rates than what you can find on the internet or contacting the hotel directly (sometimes $15-20 cheaper per night than "discounted" rates available to foreigners).

In Bagan, I would highly recommend the Tharabar Gate. I didn't see any other place in Bagan that looked half as nice. And it's a nice location with easy walking and biking to many of the best temples and pagodas.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: