TPE layover questions [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TPE layover questions [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:38 am

TPE stopover, shower at airport

Will arrive in Taipei early in the morning at 5.20am and have an evening flight late at night so will be heading out of the airport to have a look at the city.
I am traveling business class so will have access to the lounge but was wondering when i land, i would like to go to the lounge, have a shower, have some breakfast and then catch a train to the city.
I was wondering would that be possible when arriving?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
Originally Posted by John Overton
Will arrive in Taipei early in the morning at 5.20am and have an evening flight late at night so will be heading out of the airport to have a look at the city.
I am traveling business class so will have access to the lounge but was wondering when i land, i would like to go to the lounge, have a shower, have some breakfast and then catch a train to the city.
I was wondering would that be possible when arriving?
Which airline are you arriving on and it all depends if they have an arrival lounge as you can't go back through immigration to go to the departure lounge.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:18 pm

Will be flying with China Airlines
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
Originally Posted by John Overton
Will be flying with China Airlines
If you are flying from the US, you will be flying into terminal 2 and both lounges are air side so you won't be allowed to use those lounges to freshen up.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Don't think there are any arrivals lounges at TPE. Could consider day rate at the airport Novotel hotel.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There appear to be shower rooms available in the arrivals area of T1, but in T2, they're only in the departures area.

https://www.taoyuan-airport.com/english/store3_1/1113
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Skyman65
There appear to be shower rooms available in the arrivals area of T1, but in T2, they're only in the departures area.

https://www.taoyuan-airport.com/english/store3_1/1113
Just be aware it's a no-frills shower - even have to bring your own towel.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gengar
Just be aware it's a no-frills shower - even have to bring your own towel.
Oh, so you want a frilly shower?
Old May 11, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
8 hour layover at TPE

Is there anything to do closer in by the airport?
Old May 11, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
Short answer: Not really.
Longer answer: a trip into Taipei center is doable on an 8 hour layover. but assuming the '8 hours' is from landing to take-off, you would need to allow perhaps 90 minutes for immigration and security (both ways), and 2 hours for transit. That would leave you with about 3-4 hours in the city.
You don't mention the time of day that you will be there, assuming that it's daytime, then I think a little city excursion would be fun.
You also don't say if you have been to Taipei before. I may get flamed for saying this, but Taipei is not rich in culture or history. On the other food is incredible. I would pick an area with shops and restaurants to explore and taste on foot. Depending upon how far it is from Taipei Main Station, you might consider using a taxi to get there, in order to optimize your time. There is a branch of the famous Din Tai Fung soup dumpling restaurant about 15 minutes walk from Taipei Main Station (It's in the Mitsukoshi Nanxi store). And there is a Tim Ho Wan dumpling outlet close to Main Station as well.
For more history, and general people watching, you could also go to Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall.
In closing: I certainly don't recommend passing 8 hours in TPE airport. It's just not that interesting.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: LH M+M
Opened early 2017, the "Taoyuan Airport MRT (Express)" gets you to Main Station in under 40 minutes.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:43 am

Thanks for the replies. I have been to Taipei many times and didn't believe there was much near TPE. However, I am always willing to learn from the experts. I was there in April and don't want to run into the city just to do the same stuff. However, if I am missing good stuffs near the airport, I would make amend.

While waiting for the replies, I found out Taiwan Travel Bureau provides a morning and an afternoon 4 hour tour for passengers with long enough layover. The tours don't sound exciting but they will give me a different prospective to the city. For those who have sufficient layover time. Here is the link.

https://eng.taiwan.net.tw/tour/index.htm
PAX_fips likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
Great info on the free tour. I'm passing that along to several friends who regularly transit TPE.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by tvhead
... Taipei is not rich in culture or history.
To characterize Taipei this way, one has to be 100% ignorant of the Austronesian aborigines, Portuguese, Dutch, Minnanese, Japanese, and Chinese from the rest of Mainland China who left their marks there. Many traditional Chinese arts, crafts, and cultural relics have also been continuously preserved in Taipei and Taiwan in general, including some of the best teas in the world, which are now extinct in China. Many of those elements of Taipei culture/history/scenery can be experienced within a half-day layover if you research ahead and perhaps plan to use a taxi or uber to reduce the travel times.
PAX_fips likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:03 am

I love Taipei. As one of my good friend put it, Taipei is the clean and polite version of a Chinese big city. The history is rich and diverse. It has the best museum for Chinese arts. The food scene is as wonderful as Singapore. There are wonderful parks to hike. I don't shop. However, for those who love to shop, it is a great place to shop. Taiwanese Scotch is world renown. It is one of the best Chinese cities to visit temples. The list just goes on. IMHO, it is the best Chinese city to spend a few days. Taiwan is a wonderful place to spend a couple of weeks. I go to Taipei any chance I get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.