Wiki Posts
Search

Overnight Transit Visa for Vietnam?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA G
Overnight Transit Visa for Vietnam?

I need to overnight at SGN in order to catch UA's 5:50am SGN-HKG flight; I'm coming in on a VN flight from Cambodia the night before. My total transit time will be around 11 hours.

The tickets are on two separate PNRs, though I will try to have my bags checked all the way through to the US if I can convince VN to do it.

Do I need to apply for a visa in advance or is this something I can take care of upon arrival in SGN? I am a US Citizen.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I think you will need the visa, and you should apply online. Hundreds of travel agents in Vietnam will give you an Approval Letter which you print out from the JPEG email sent to you. You need to show this letter to VN to board in Cambodia. When you arrive in SGN, there will be a visa counter on the far left wall of the immigration area where you give one passport photo + $25. in USD for the visa. The Approval Letters are usually from $15. to $20.

You won't be able to board your VN flight without that letter!

Google "Vietnam VOA Approval Letter" to find an agent - usually takes 3 or 4 days. Check the letter for dates and a stamp from VN Immigration.

Next time fly one one airline/one ticket and you won't need a visa.

Last edited by Daawgon; Mar 31, 2011 at 7:50 pm
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Daawgon
I think you will need the visa, and you should apply online. Hundreds of travel agents in Vietnam will give you an Approval Letter which you print out from the JPEG email sent to you. You need to show this letter to VN to board in Cambodia. When you arrive in SGN, there will be a visa counter on the far left wall of the immigration area where you give one passport photo + $25. in USD for the visa. The Approval Letters are usually from $15. to $20.
Argh, fair enough. Is it possible to do a loose-leaf visa when using the approval letters? If I can save a page and a half in my passport, I will gladly pay $10 or something.

Originally Posted by Daawgon
Next time fly one one airline/one ticket and you won't need a visa.
Lesson learned. I'm doing REP-SGN-HKG, with the overnight in SGN. I should have done REP-BKK-HKG or REP-(some country that doesn't require a visa)-HKG. Blah

Thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Originally Posted by unavaca
Argh, fair enough. Is it possible to do a loose-leaf visa when using the approval letters? If I can save a page and a half in my passport, I will gladly pay $10 or something.
I'm no visa expert, but I seriously doubt it!
Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:04 am

Lesson learned. I'm doing REP-SGN-HKG, with the overnight in SGN. I should have done REP-BKK-HKG or REP-(some country that doesn't require a visa)-HKG. Blah

Thanks.
Vietnam does apparently allow loose-leaf visas when you apply in advance at an embassy/consulate. Whether they allow that option when doing "pre-arranged" visa at the airport (which is what they call applying for entry with an approval letter), I don't know but you can certainly ask upon landing and maybe you will get lucky.

The one catch with loose-leaf visas according to the travel book I have is that you cannot use them for an entry or re-entry by land which, obviously, would not apply in your case.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:40 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
I've never seen the loose-leaf variety issued at the counter at SGN. But they are a pretty laid-back lot. They might do it on request...
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Following up on this...

I bought my VOA (visa on arrival) from myvietnamvisa.com for $20 (single entry, 1 month) and presented it to the landing visa person with a post-it note that said "I would like a loose leaf visa. Thanks" (in Vietnamese). I don't speak any Vietnamese, so I used what Google Translate gave me -- "Tôi muốn xin thị thực rời lá. Cảm ơn."

The loose leaf was the standard $25 and was stamped on the back both for entry and exit -- no stamps in my passport at all!

Other than needing a visa at all, this was the best possible outcome I could have asked for in this situation. Thank you FT!

tl;dr - Yes, you can get a loose leaf visa on arrival; just ask nicely.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:00 am

"Tôi muốn xin thị thực rời lá. Cảm ơn."
Hmm, Google translates that back into English as "I want a visa to leave the leaves. Thanks." Glad to hear it worked out, though
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:13 pm

If I hearing everyone's words, an overnight in SGN airport requires a transit visa and it could only be obtained from either a travel agent or consulate prior to arrival?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by myflight11
If I hearing everyone's words, an overnight in SGN airport requires a transit visa and it could only be obtained from either a travel agent or consulate prior to arrival?
I don't think there is anything called a 'transit visa' for Vietnam. People above are describing the 30 day single entry visa.

If you plan to spend the night in the airport that's kind of tricky. My guess is they close it down.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myflight11
There's no such thing as a transit visa; you need a regular tourist visa. You can get one on arrival, as long as you apply with one of those "visa on arrival" services. I ended up using MyVietnamVisa.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.