Guide to MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by siege101
Sorry if this has been asked or posted before but information can be hard to find in this big of a thread.

I will be transiting through MNL twice in the next month and I'm worried about making my connecting flights, one because I'm flying Cebu Pacific and two because I've read that MNL is the worst airport in the world.

I'll be flying from HKG to MNL on a flight that's supposed to leave HKG at 8:25AM and is supposed to arrive at MNL at 10:35AM. I then have a connecting flight to MPH (Caticlan) that's scheduled for departure at 2:50PM. I will be arriving at Terminal 3 and be departing from Terminal 4. The layover is 4 hours and 15 minutes.

Could anybody explain the process I need to go through to get from terminal to terminal and the quickest way to go about it. From what I understand, after arriving I will need to claim my baggage, bring it to the Cebu Pacific baggage counter so they can put it on to the next flight, then clear through immigration and then make my way over to Terminal 4 where I will then have to pass through security and then immigration yet again. What's the quickest way to get from terminal to terminal? Price is not a concern, speed is.

I'm going to have relive this ordeal a week later this time flying back from MPH. I plan on being at MPH basically first thing in the morning and see if Cebu Pacific will let me catch an earlier flight, otherwise I'm scheduled to leave at 2:45 PM and arrive at MPH at 3:55PM. I will then have to catch a flight to BKK leaving at 9:25PM leaving me with a layover of 5 and half hours. This time going from Terminal 4 to Terminal 3.

I'm hoping I've scheduled enough times between flights that even if delayed I can still make the connections.
Originally Posted by maverick17
Siege I think you have plenty of time if your flights are close to on schedule.

First, about baggage, the recheck for Cebu Pacific is to the right hand side of the customs hall. Go through immigration first, then go down and get your bag. Then you do not leave customs. You go to towards the far right where some employees are. There is not a lot of signage and I missed it my first time, so adding that part here.

Then you go out of customs and are on the lowest level of T3. Turn left, go all the way to the end past Wendy's where you can then turn left again. There are escalators up to departures, but do not go up. Go past them towards the back of the area, and there is a place there to go out and catch the shuttle to the other terminal.

I am assuming you have the boarding pass for your second flight. If not, try to get it when you recheck your bag. If they can't, I don't know if you can get a shuttle or not without BP nowadays.
I'm updating my old post here, forgot I ever made it. Maverick had very good advice with the baggage, did exactly like he said. I had my boarding pass already for the second leg of the flight. I didn't wind up taking the shuttle though, I waited for a taxi at the taxi stand. The wait and the drive through traffic to the old Domestic Terminal that Cebu Pacific uses took probably 45 minutes. My flight was delayed several hours though, so there was a lot of waiting and that terminal has nothing going on.

On my way back I did indeed get to the airport as early as I could and caught an earlier flight out of Caticlan. Once back in Manila I did the taxi transfer in reverse but it was much quicker this time, I didn't wait at all for a taxi and there was minimal traffic. I paid I think $20 for lounge access because I had a long wait. It was worth it even if the lounge was mediocre at best. The flight to Bangkok was delayed by about 45 minutes. Overall I had no problems at all. Cebu Pacific is fine to fly just make sure you have plenty of time on any connecting flights, not once did they leave close to on-time.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
I passed through Manila for the first time last week both arriving and departing 8 days later.

Arrival @T3, not too bad.
Clearance was pretty quick and we were outside with out luggage pretty quickly. Took a bit to find the (new) Hilton, and taxi drivers had no clue on the whereabouts of it either. We ended up in going back in to T3 hall (had to go through bag Xray check again) and take the airbridge to the various hotels nearby. Area that's still heavily in development and turns out that Hilton was brand new and only 'test' open.

Next day we had a domestic out of T1 with Airswift. Had to take a taxi bus that took 15 minutes to get there. Apparently heavy traffic is a big risk getting between terminals. But oo boy this was an old looking terminal. Big stuffy hall with 4 or 5 gates parallel next to each other, a donut stand, a coffee counter, and some other local food counters. Nothing special but at least it had airconditioning.

Week later we fly in with Phillipine Airlines into T2, have to get to T3. Outside is chaotic. Vans, buses, taxi's, we get directed to a number that doesn't pick up people there. In the end a friendly employee with Phillipine Airlines arranges a transfer van for us for 900 PHP ($17) to get to T3. Given the amount of people waiting for the free bus, it was a no-brainer.

Arriving at T3, there's a MASSIVE line to get into the terminal through security.. Like full length next to terminal, 3 rows wide with 4 or 5 separate security checkpoints. Surprisingly this is all VERY well behaved and nearly no pushing or people skipping lines. Security staff keeps an eye out for people in a rush trying to make their flight so they can skip the line. It took us about 30-40 minutes to get into the terminal through that first security check at all.

As we were early, we could not drop off baggage yet. The KLM desk wouldn't open until 3 hours prior to departure, so we couldn't go through security yet.

We were flying business class and aside from the check-in desk, I could not find any business class priority lanes. There's plenty of priority lanes for elderly, pregnant women, etc. But not for business passengers it seems. Or we were just thick and could not find them. Getting through customs/security took another 30-40 minutes after dropping off our baggage.

KLM/Delta/Skyteam changed their lounge, they're now using the PAGGS Lounge, which is a VERY nice and modern lounge. Very quiet and relaxed atmosphere, some drinks, spirits and various snacks/food. Plenty of seating available.

This airport is honestly the worst I've ever traversed. The main issue with it is the difficulty and time to get between terminals. Traffic supposedly is a big issue in peak hours, you can only travel between them using some kind of car transport and transport outside of the airport is very poorly designated, it took us a bit to figure out how to even get to the proper area for transport/taxi pickups.

Advisable is to account at least 2-3 hours to traverse this airport if you need to go between terminals for a transfer. Anything less and you'll likely miss your connecting flight.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:50 pm

Yup ^^^ I've heard it can be awful to transfer terminals...like nightmarish...

So glad our Cebu flight transfer is only at T3
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:56 am

We have a flight coming up MNL-NRT on JAL out of NAIA Terminal 1. Departure is 9:50AM on a Saturday. We are staying at the Peninsula. When do we need to leave the hotel given traffic and then getting through security, customs etc?

Edit: FWIW we are flying in business class.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:52 pm

Flying on a Saturday, I would think 6:30 would be fine if non-holiday time period. Probably even 7 since you're in J and can avoid check-in lines. But I haven't seen those outdoor t3 lines or been there in a year or so, so I don't know if it's gotten worse lately or if t1 is affected much. Maybe someone with more recent experience will comment before your flight.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
Just want to post my experience and see if others have similar experience/can let me know what should happen.

Did a CDG-DOH-MNL (on QR J) and then onwards to HKG (on CX J) (separate PNR/bookings), and bags were checked through to HKG at CDG. However, upon arrival on the ground at NAIA, ground agent met me upon disembarking and took me through immigration, and we proceeded through immigration to collect my bags from the luggage belt, and go through customs, and had to go back to CX counters to re-checkin luggage. Took total 2 hours due to different luggage requirements.

Strangely enough (and perhaps because QR has terrible ground service), when I was doing the first leg (HKG to MNL on CX J) and then MNL-DOH-CDG (on QR J), CX ground agent met me but all I had to do was sit in transit area while agent collected my bags for me and brought it back airside for me to be checked-in. I did not have to go through customs/immigration, only had to see the immigration officer in an office somewhere.

So is it NAIA policy or QR policy that even if you are transiting, you must collect your bags and go through immigration before checking-in again and going through immigration/security again?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:13 pm

Wunk, it isn't clear to me when you returned to MNL 'weeks later' why you didn't use the free shuttle bus airside for your transfer?

This would have saved the hassles of using public roads. Staff at baggage carousels can direct you.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:15 pm

That didn't happen, and apparently won't in the foreseeable future.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:48 pm

Pretty horrible airport...our friends were on a flight 1 hour behind us to TAG and apparently there was a security threat (read: drugs) and they canceled 4 different flights and couldn't fly anyone out the same day (apparently this is commonplace for domestic island flights?). They were shuttled around the airport and their bags and person were searched multiple times. Airline put them up in a hotel in Makiti and they had 6AM flight - total waste of two vacation days! Free flight on Cebu in the next 6 months! Wonderful, thanks!

Of course, we expected huge lines in the morning on our flight to island and waited around for 2 hours in the terrible domestic terminal. The good thing was our flight was only slightly delayed (i.e.: normal) departing...and thank god we connected through the same terminal on outbound out of MNL to HKG
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:57 am

We will be flying PAL from TPE to YYZ next month in J. From what I can see the arrival from TPE lands in T2 whereas the departure to YYZ is in T1. PAL says they offer a free shuttle for their passengers. Is the PAL shuttle reliable or also subject to the long waits, traffic...?

Also, given the departure from T1, we are entitled to the PAGSS lounge. I havent seen good reviews about it but would anyone have more information?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
I wouldn't count on the shuttle. It is sporadic and fills up quickly. You will have to really fight to get a seat. The taxi will be quicker and more comfortable, although you will spend a few extra dollars.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Originally Posted by smith80678
I wouldn't count on the shuttle. It is sporadic and fills up quickly. You will have to really fight to get a seat. The taxi will be quicker and more comfortable, although you will spend a few extra dollars.
PR has an airside shuttle service. I think you're talking about the landside shuttle which is operated by the MIAA?

Originally Posted by illico
We will be flying PAL from TPE to YYZ next month in J. From what I can see the arrival from TPE lands in T2 whereas the departure to YYZ is in T1. PAL says they offer a free shuttle for their passengers. Is the PAL shuttle reliable or also subject to the long waits, traffic...?

Also, given the departure from T1, we are entitled to the PAGSS lounge. I havent seen good reviews about it but would anyone have more information?
As I mentioned above, the PR shuttle is an airside shuttle, so it's not subject to the traffic outside. The distance between Terminals 1 and 2 is short, so a shuttle ride, especially an airside shuttle ride, shouldn't take too long.

The PAGSS lounge is arguably the best option there is right now if you don't want to pay (MIASCOR is better but then Duterte yanked their franchise), although I'm surprised you're using PAGSS as I thought PR J passengers can use Club Manila (which aesthetically is a nicer lounge if you ask me, but YMMV). Club Manila otherwise is a pay lounge if you choose to use that.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Akiestar

The PAGSS lounge is arguably the best option there is right now if you don't want to pay (MIASCOR is better but then Duterte yanked their franchise), although I'm surprised you're using PAGSS as I thought PR J passengers can use Club Manila (which aesthetically is a nicer lounge if you ask me, but YMMV). Club Manila otherwise is a pay lounge if you choose to use that.
Thanks for the info. On PAL's website, it says in terminal 1 the lounge is the PAGSS lounge. I guess I will find out...
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Originally Posted by illico
Thanks for the info. On PAL's website, it says in terminal 1 the lounge is the PAGSS lounge. I guess I will find out...
I mean, to be fair, the PAGSS lounge is decent. MNL lounges are sub-par, yes, but bearing that in mind, it's still better than anything else available save for the Mabuhay Lounge at Terminal 2.

MU uses the PAGSS lounge for its J passengers (and elites who fly them, like me), so the lounge is fine on a short layover through MNL.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
It has been a disaster for a very long time and will continue to be a disaster for a very long time. The best is to get rid of the golf course on Vilamour Air Base and also reclaim land and move all the houses in the vicinity and expand the airport but they won't do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.