Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Guide to MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport [Merged thread]

Guide to MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport [Merged thread]

Old May 23, 2024, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by governorgeneral
Off the plane by 1130. Inexplicably they deliberately prevent you from making connections to other flights within the terminal without going through security again, even domestically on the same airline. This cordon and door should be where you just walk off your flight into the airside departures area, to connect elsewhere
Pretty much every airport in PH is like this. No commingling of arriving and departing passengers.

Next was security and immigration: we were directed to the diplomatic line for no apparent reason other than that the regular line was getting long
Lucky you. T3 departure security and immigration can get pretty bad.

Very helpful. Thanks for posting a detailed report.
governorgeneral and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 23, 2024, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by yannix
Pretty much every airport in PH is like this. No commingling of arriving and departing passengers.
True, but clearly (as in the photo on arrival at T2) it is actually possible to allow those arriving passengers who are connecting, to do so without going through security again. Maybe just have staff checking boarding passes, or have an automatic gate where you scan it, if there is some reason why they don't want commingling (though I don't see the point - it is the norm elsewhere). (On the same trip, had a domestic transfer at T3 between two Cebu Pacific flights - again, on arrival there was clearly a entryway to the departure gates without having to re-clear security, and there was even a sign that said "Connections" or "Transfers" separate from "Arrivals / Baggage reclaim" but it was also closed unnecessarily.) Waste of time and resources to make people go through twice.
Old May 24, 2024, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by governorgeneral
True, but clearly (as in the photo on arrival at T2) it is actually possible to allow those arriving passengers who are connecting, to do so without going through security again. Maybe just have staff checking boarding passes, or have an automatic gate where you scan it, if there is some reason why they don't want commingling (though I don't see the point - it is the norm elsewhere). (On the same trip, had a domestic transfer at T3 between two Cebu Pacific flights - again, on arrival there was clearly a entryway to the departure gates without having to re-clear security, and there was even a sign that said "Connections" or "Transfers" separate from "Arrivals / Baggage reclaim" but it was also closed unnecessarily.) Waste of time and resources to make people go through twice.
I agree with you. I'm guessing these airport procedures were formulated when connecting traffic was uncommon and it's always easy to keep status quo.
governorgeneral likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 1:31 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
The airport is going to be taken over by a private company San Miguel in September so hopefully things would improve then.
Old May 24, 2024, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Davvidd
The airport is going to be taken over by a private company San Miguel in September so hopefully things would improve then.
I can picture the priority lane names now:
1. Ginebra for VIPs
2. Red Horse for DYKWIAs
3. San Mig Zero for steerage
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by ntamayo
I can picture the priority lane names now:
1. Ginebra for VIPs
2. Red Horse for DYKWIAs
3. San Mig Zero for steerage
Old May 25, 2024, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by governorgeneral (Post # 1033)
Many thanks to all on this thread for the past insight on transfer at MNL. Just wanted to share my own experience from a few weeks ago making the transfer from T2 to T3. Flights were Philippine Airlines 2142 from Iloilo to Manila arriving at 1130 at T2, then (on a separate, unlinked itinerary) from T3 on Emirates 333 from Manila to Dubai leaving at 1730. Bottom line: took 1 hour 20 minutes to get from T2 to T3. We got to T3 so early that the Emirates check in desk wasn't open yet! With the wait for check in, all told it was 3 h gate to gate T2 to T3. . . .

Landed at 1120. The impassable chasm, or so it had been described: getting between terminal 2 (foreground) and terminal 3 (background) in any reasonable time. The past lack of coordination between terminals: its been described as 4 entirely separate airports that happen to share a runway
Originally Posted by Davvidd (Post # 1035)
You are right in that is separate airports factually that shares two runways and not a single airport. They do not plan to invest much any time soon because the only way they could expand is getting rid of the Air Force base and some premium land including the golf course and it is not going to happen. Now they hope that Bulacan Airport is going to be the cure for all but even that the first runway only is projected to open in 2027. No one knows how and when they will have a new Highway to MNL. The current Express Way only really works during night time as everyone else is on it and is jam packed.
Originally Posted by Davvidd (Post # 1039)
We can certainly hope for improvement, but they cannot alter the physical geography of the airport.

It would be nice if the free shuttle offered by PR between Terminals 2 and 3 could be duplicated by the airport for passengers on all carriers.
Old May 25, 2024, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
We can certainly hope for improvement, but they cannot alter the physical geography of the airport.

It would be nice if the free shuttle offered by PR between Terminals 2 and 3 could be duplicated by the airport for passengers on all carriers.
There is an empty building near it and they are going to build a new terminal 5 there within two years. The transportation is a bit more complex as it is not that they cannot do it but this is created artificially so that at least foreigners would get confused and are forced to chose the franchised special cars they have. PR is a full service carrier and it is in their service requirements but the others do not have it and hence would not do that. Even now taxis and grab cannot come to arrivals unless the Grab has a verified pick up while Taxis cannot so filipinos in the know would go to the departures and pick up taxis who are doing the drop off.
SPN Lifer and curiouspax like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
I'm not sure if it's still running these days but there used to be a airport provided shuttle that went to all terminals. The PR provided one apparently provides a better experience so one should take that if eligible.
Old May 28, 2024, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by yannix
I'm not sure if it's still running these days but there used to be a airport provided shuttle that went to all terminals. The PR provided one apparently provides a better experience so one should take that if eligible.
A bit of more information on that. And this is why the Ramon Ang take over is going to be good because non of this private taxi companies operating out of the airport is going to have any influence on them. The bus service is terrible because if they have fantastic transfers between terminals no passenger especially foreigners are going to take the private taxis operating there. I have never seen touts as much as in MNL as in any other airport and the security nor the airport does anything about it.
Furthermore, the other two local operators, Cebu Pacific and Air Asia are low cost carriers and does not care anything about connecting passengers but now the new terminal is going to start construction this year I hope things will improve soon. I certainly would like to see any improvement. The current management is not qualified or experienced enough to navigate through all the intricacies of local politics too.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2024, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
not many options for direct routings - QF or Cebu Pacific! As always I would have my options sorted out in advance and tell them what flights would suit you and hopefully you will get it.
Well, it was quite interesting how it went.

The flight from KUL was 20 minutes late, but that didn't matter as the flight to SYD was 3.5 hours late. So no problem with the connection (other than having to sit in the lounge for almost three hours).
SPN Lifer and Davvidd like this.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 12:08 pm
Suspended

BKK-MNL-SEA with 18hr layover... lounge hop vs hotel?

Planning a BKK-MNL-SEA trip, but it has a 18hr layover.

1) Was reading some posts before 2023 that transit passengers cannot exit, but that seems to have changed. So any suggestions on whether or not to do lounge hopping (both arriving and departing T1) vs booking a nearby hotel? I'm probably more inclined to just get a night's rest.

2) Do the baggage get checked through to SEA, or will I need to collect and re-check them again at MNL?
Old Jun 16, 2024, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Am I just doing it wrong? Was looking at nearby Hilton and Marriott hotels (overnight layer for MNL), and they are all starting at USD 100-150+? Is that supposed to the regular rate? I was expecting much cheaper since the Philippines is very LCOL country.

The cheapest respectable looking hotel (Kingsford Hotel) is almost reaching USD60 for one night, and I'm booking 9mths+ ahead of time!
Old Jun 16, 2024, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Am I just doing it wrong? Was looking at nearby Hilton and Marriott hotels (overnight layer for MNL), and they are all starting at USD 100-150+? Is that supposed to the regular rate? I was expecting much cheaper since the Philippines is very LCOL country.

The cheapest respectable looking hotel (Kingsford Hotel) is almost reaching USD60 for one night, and I'm booking 9mths+ ahead of time!
No you are not. Manila hotels are fairly expensive compared to Thailand, Malaysia and Vietnam and Cambodia. And though cost of living is low, the hotels are normally expensive especially the International brands. You could try the Golden Phoenix in Pasay and it is about 25 to 30 mins drive by taxi at the most but of course depending on the time as always is in MNL. You might get the Holiday Inn Express at Newport but the rates vary greatly too there again depending on the dates.
What dates are you looking for?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6

This place is pretty decent and close the airport:
https://us.trip.com/hotels/detail/?h...page=orderlist

It's usually under $60 (US) if you book fairly close in.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.