Guide to MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:07 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by HansDKNY
I have a flight from MNL to KUL on Malaysia Airlines departing at 13:20pm(terminal 1). I have the option of flying AirAsia from PPS on the same day arriving at MNL(terminal 3) at 9:20am, which will give me 4 hours to change terminals and check in my luggage for the next flight. I have read online that MNL suffers from major plane delays and traffic jams between terminals. At that time in the morning, will it be hard to take a taxi from one terminal to the next? Is there a free airport bus shuttle service?

The 2nd option is to fly from PPS the day before arriving at the same time into MNL, but then will have to take a taxi into Manila City, stay in an hotel, and then take a taxi back to the airport next day for KUL flight.
4h should be enough time - flight delays are not too bad early am, but traffic is. There are free shuttle and cheap, metered taxi to take you.
PAL flies into T2,which is much closer to T1 and arrives 1h earlier than AirAsia, making the transfer easier and safer. That's what I'd do for a connection to KUL.
Domestic flights can be cancelled/delayed and if I'd connect to an expensive long-haul flight with less frequent connections than KUL, I'd arrive the night before and stay at airport hotel near T3 (Marriott, Remington). Also, there will be lots of cancellations during APEC Nov 15-19.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:13 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by gurbina93
APEC Summit 2015. Obama, Putin, Xin Ping and friends...

During Nov 17,19 and 20 it's gonna be a mess, noFly zones, lots of security, traffic jams...

Cebu Pacific, AirAsia, TigerAir cancelled HUNDREDS of flights...

The question now is, what do we do? I am arriving MNL on Nov 20 at noon. Worst time ever.

I have nonrefundable bookings, etc...
You are arriving on the tail end of the event and the worst should be over by Friday(fingers crossed). I'd check into your hotel and stay in the neighborhood on Friday, enjoy nearby food/spa. Plan your sight-seeing for Sunday, traffic should be much better then!
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Just through MNL a couple more times. The locals have really gone all out wrapping their luggage in Saran Wrap in reaction to the whole bullet planting blackmail scandal. I saw several women walking around terminal 1 with their purses wrapped in Saran Wrap, hanging on their shoulders which looked almost comical. If nothing else, the bullet planting blackmail scandal has been a boon for the luggage wrapping business.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:56 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Your posts are great ^, you don't post nearly enough

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
Just through MNL a couple more times. The locals have really gone all out wrapping their luggage in Saran Wrap in reaction to the whole bullet planting blackmail scandal.
Flying to HKG over American Thanksgiving, but can't see myself spending 10 days there (as much as I love Hong Kong).

Deciding between Thailand and PI for a few days, and this may have tipped the scale. Just may have to check this out

Don't carry contraband of any sort, so if NO fingerings on bullets .....

Or am I underestimating the power of PI's corruption
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Your posts are great ^, you don't post nearly enough

Flying to HKG over American Thanksgiving, but can't see myself spending 10 days there (as much as I love Hong Kong).

Deciding between Thailand and PI for a few days, and this may have tipped the scale. Just may have to check this out

Don't carry contraband of any sort, so if NO fingerings on bullets .....

Or am I underestimating the power of PI's corruption
I think you are According to some news reports, the extortion amounts have gone as low as 1-2k PHP these days.

If you are keen on PI, you can try flying into CEB. CX flies there from HKG. It's not a guarantee but no one has been scammed with any bullet planting there yet.

I've been in and out of MNL T3 (both int'l & domestic) the past few weeks and I saw what Mabuk dan gila saw. I even saw some people duct taping the zipers on their luggage. It's a bit nerve racking and stressful going through security making sure I kept a constant eye on my luggage all the time.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:00 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by yannix
I think you are According to some news reports, the extortion amounts have gone as low as 1-2k PHP these days.

If you are keen on PI, you can try flying into CEB. CX flies there from HKG. It's not a guarantee but no one has been scammed with any bullet planting there yet.
I was actually leaning toward PI despite all this, but waited too long, so when $192 fare on TG popped up, BKK it was.

But I'm sure I'll return to PI - after all, I've been a few times, and really like the fact that almost everyone speaks at least some English ^
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:03 am

Wait Times: NAIA 3 Anyone use Fast Track?

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could chime in on their latest experience with
NAIA 3 with regards to arrival and departure wait times?

I will be landing at 4:40 pm on Dec.10 Thurs. How long do you think it would take from landing (to pick-up bags) to out the door for a cab?

For departure I'm looking at Dec.15 Tues. 8:45 am also at NAIA 3. going from MNL-HKG, Should I get there 3 hours before the flight? Any guess of how much time it would take to get through all the lines at that time in the morning?

Also, anyone use the Fast Track service? Either arriving or departing, would you say it's worth it?

Thanks much! -Cheers.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by gourmand73
Hi All,
I will be landing at 4:40 pm on Dec.10 Thurs. How long do you think it would take from landing (to pick-up bags) to out the door for a cab?
15 minutes for plane taxi to gate. 30 minutes to clear immigration, retrieve your bags.

For departure I'm looking at Dec.15 Tues. 8:45 am also at NAIA 3. going from MNL-HKG, Should I get there 3 hours before the flight? Any guess of how much time it would take to get through all the lines at that time in the morning?
Get there by 6.30am otherwise you will be fighting traffic and long lines at terminal entrance security checkpoint. Length of time at ticket counters depends on your status with the airline. Lines though immigration and screening are usually short.

Last week, it took me less than 15 minutes from getting out of taxi at 7.30 am to entering airline lounge in sterile area.

Also, anyone use the Fast Track service? Either arriving or departing, would you say it's worth it?
There is not a real fast track there.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by gourmand73

Thanks much! -Cheers.
There is APEC lane for immigration in and out if you qualify.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) | National Exec Elite | Global Entry | HH Silver
Bullet Scam Continuing?

Originally Posted by maortega15
I currently have a flight there next month. With this mess going on, I was wondering if I should still continue my plans or just cancel. Anyone have any recommendations on what to do? I would hate to be a target.
I'm leaving for Manila in a couple of weeks and am curious on what the latest on the bullet scam news is. Media attention from what I can find has died down about it but is that because it is old news now or has the scam has stopped for the time being because of the attention it has gotten the last couple of months?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:23 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by GMoneyCO
I'm leaving for Manila in a couple of weeks and am curious on what the latest on the bullet scam news is. Media attention from what I can find has died down about it but is that because it is old news now or has the scam has stopped for the time being because of the attention it has gotten the last couple of months?
Like everything else in The Philippines, if it affects a higher up gov official receiving backhanders, it quickly gets taken out of the media.

Just give them a few weeks and they will have a new scam going, the bullets weren't the first scam at MNL and they certainly won't be the last.

Just keep everything in your sight at all times and say no to any offers of "help"
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:13 am

According to this link, there was a news blackout enforced by airport management, plus also mentions the possibility of another scam in the works.
http://pinoytrendingnews.net/warning...ala/#arvlbdata

Last edited by KIXman; Jan 11, 2016 at 6:14 am
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by KIXman
According to this link, there was a news blackout enforced by airport management, plus also mentions the possibility of another scam in the works.
http://pinoytrendingnews.net/warning...ala/#arvlbdata
Did you see this one? http://pinoytrendingnews.net/another...ist/#arvlbdata

Stay classy Manila
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by chris19992
First time for me to see that article, and also to hear about this scam.
There are (were?) big signboards at the taxi stands showing how much one should expect to pay to get to various destinations; have these been taken down by any chance?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by KIXman
First time for me to see that article, and also to hear about this scam.
There are (were?) big signboards at the taxi stands showing how much one should expect to pay to get to various destinations; have these been taken down by any chance?
I honestly have no idea, I only just saw it by clicking on the link you provided.
They of course deny it but they deny everything anyway even after getting caught.

Just to add, it would seem the bullet scam is still ongoing.
http://www.mb.com.ph/ofw-bound-for-s...ition-at-naia/

Last edited by chris19992; Jan 11, 2016 at 8:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.