Search

Guide to MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Guidance for navigating MNL / Ninoy Aquino

Good information, thanks!

My situation is fine arriving - I arrive on CX from HKG and stay at the Marriott, depart the following day early afternoon to DGT (Dumaguete, Negros Oriental) for some Bohol Sea diving, so plenty of time to do transfers, etc.

The return, Feb 10, I am slightly worried about and welcome your advice and guidance:

PR292 Lv DGT 0845, Ar MNL 1000 Coach (Terminal 3, I presume)

CX900 Lv MNL 1230, Ar HKG 1440 Business (Lv Terminal 1, I presume again)

Separate PNRs.

Is this sufficient time for a connection?

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 7, 2011 at 11:54 am
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:59 am

Hello JDiver, I think that should be enough time for the connection.
I think PR292 would arrive at Terminal 2 (centennial terminal) which is nearer to Terminal 1. Do you have any checkin baggage? It took me an hour once for my luggage to come out at the T2 because of many flights arriving at the same time.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:05 pm

Thanks, KIXman! I'll try to get our bags interlined to CX - dive gear, as we are headed to DGT and Dauin just south for some diving and I don't use others' dive gear if I can avoid it.

Originally Posted by KIXman
Hello JDiver, I think that should be enough time for the connection.
I think PR292 would arrive at Terminal 2 (centennial terminal) which is nearer to Terminal 1. Do you have any checkin baggage? It took me an hour once for my luggage to come out at the T2 because of many flights arriving at the same time.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
According to a prior post, PR won't let you interline your baggage.
2.5hrs should be just ok, but i would be more worried about your plane leaving on time from DGT.

There are a few later flights on CX, if you do miss it. But not sure what your connections at HKG are like.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:04 pm

Thanks! We have two days in Hongkers, so no worries there. (If we had a connection, I'd have opted for the earlier flight from Dumaguete or arranged an overnight at the Marriott at the NAIA airport - we'll do that on the way southbound.)

Just for others' information we did sign up for Mabuhay Miles, and purchased the Mabuhay Sports Club membership, USD $40 p.a., allows an extra 20 kg / 44 lbs "sports equipment" to the 15 kg / 22 lb domestic baggage allowance without extra fees for that one year. I can't imagine what we will do with the MNL-DGT-MNL Mabuhay Miles, but the baggage $aving$ will be good (we tery to avoid using others' dive gear; we know how outs works, how it has been maintained, etc.)

Originally Posted by Crocodile
According to a prior post, PR won't let you interline your baggage.
2.5hrs should be just ok, but i would be more worried about your plane leaving on time from DGT.

There are a few later flights on CX, if you do miss it. But not sure what your connections at HKG are like.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 3:37 am

Guide to MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport

I was able to pass by Manila International Airport a number of times over the past few months so I decided to compile the pictures I have and put up a small "guide" to the airport. It's not exhaustive but I hope what's here may be of reference to those who plan to visit Manila in the future.

NOTE: There are a number of international airlines relocating from T1 to T3, so lounge information here may not be up to date in places. Also renovation work is taking place at T1 so several pix may no longer reflect the current situation.
Some pictures of renovation work posted <here> and <here>

MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport schematic

Map of Ninoy Aquino International Airport 2014 (from Wikipedia)

MNL Airport website

MNL airport by World Airport Guides

MNL Terminal 1
Arrival Procedure
Departure Procedure

Lounges
OneWorld Lounges
Star Alliance Lounges
SkyTeam / Other Lounges
Food Options Airside
MNL Terminal 2
Arrival Procedure
Departure Procedure

MNL Terminal 3
Arrival Procedure
Departure Procedure
Lounges

MNL Terminal 4
<no information yet>

Transfer between NAIA terminals
From T1 to T2/T3/T4, there's a free shuttle bus service that can be found immediately to the left
after exiting the terminal building. The bus leaves every 30-40 minutes.
T1 Shuttle Bus to T2/T3/T4

Also please check out this thread for more input from other FTers:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...terminals.html

Transportation from NAIA
There's a coupon taxi service from each terminal to various areas in Metro Manila.
For details about the fees, see the following link:
Coupon Taxi Prescribed Fees

Some FT posts with ideas on what to do during a layover in MNL
Overnight in Manila airport
MNL Layover

Last edited by KIXman; Jan 1, 2017 at 12:14 am Reason: Added T1 airside food options
Old Mar 19, 2011, 3:38 am

MNL Terminal 1 : Arrival Procedure

After disembarking your plane, the route to the immigration area is pretty much straightforward. You'll pass through a temperature check by infrared cameras along the way.

Before the immigration counters will be the security check for tranferees and a small duty-free store selling chocolates and liquor for last-minute shopping. I've always passed these by but I'll try to put up a pic or two the next time I'm passing by.

Based on my experience so far, there are a lot of flights arriving at around 1PM and the 10PM slots. You may want to take up a seat somewhere near the front of the plane if you're in Y class in order to avoid lines like this at immigration:

Baggage area can also be crowded at this time.

After picking up your bags, hand over the customs check form to the inspector for his signature. I've never seen anybody had his/her bags checked, so not much to worry about here. I've taken raw fruits through without question.

Get back the signed customs form and head to the customs area exit. Along the way there are some exchange counters where you can buy some PHP, but the rates are much better if you buy from the foreign exchange counters at department stores like ShoeMart

Hand over the signed customs to the security at the customs area exit and head out the terminal door. Along the way somebody may ask to check your luggage tags, but this has happened to me only once or twice out of >20 entries
* Update Jan.3, 2015: Seems there's no more need to fill up a customs form

At the entrance of the terminal door there will be taxis to the left waiting to pick up passengers. VIPs can get picked up at this area too. For the rest of us, cross the street and head left or right to the arrival meeting area.

The arrival area. Only passengers are allowed in this area, while waiters are in the building across the street. Originally the arrival area had signs asking people to stand under the letter that included the initial letter of the family name of the person. Now the signs are "Bay 1" "Bay 2" etc, so you'll have to arrange things with the people you're meeting beforehand as to where they should look for you.

Last edited by KIXman; Jan 2, 2015 at 9:43 am Reason: update on procedure
Old Mar 19, 2011, 3:38 am

MNL Terminal 1 : Departure Procedure

Approaching the airport terminal

Before entering the airport you come across a security area where the guards there will ask for the glove compartment to be opened. I have no idea what they're looking for

In order to enter the terminal building you need to show your passport and ticket to the security person. You MUST have a printed copy of your ticket/eticket or you won't be allowed in. I've seen people turned away because the only copy they had was on their cellphone. Incidentally even though the date is different they'll let you in, just say that you changed the date. Business class people can cut the line if you show the security person your ticket.

After the documents check is an xray and metal detector.

The airport lobby. There's a foreign exchange counter in the middle of the lobby. Carts are free to use.

After getting your boarding pass, head for the immigration area in the center of the building. A security person will check your boarding pass again before you can enter.
Inside, pay the 550PHP terminal fee and enter the immigration zone.

If you're lucky there won't be a line of people waiting for their turn. In the middle is a roped off section for APEC card holders, but there's no one guarding it so you'll have to remove the rope yourself if you have one.

* Update Jan.3, 2015: Seems there's no more need to fill up a departure form

Beyond the immigration booths is the bag x-ray, metal detector and pat-down. Normally only 2 detectors are manned, one for female passengers and another for male. You'll be asked to remove your belt and shoes. Laptops can stay inside the bags.

After the security check is the duty free area. There are handicrafts and traditional foodstuffs here for sale, but are rather limited in variety.

At the end of the duty free area is the entrance to the gates. Gates 1-8 are to the left and 9-18 are to the right. There will be another boarding pass & passport check here if you want to enter. Lounges are beyond this check so you can say that you just want to use the lounge and they'll let you through.

Before the gate area is another boarding pass and passport check. For certain flights they'll also ask to check the contents of your carry-on.

Last edited by KIXman; Jan 2, 2015 at 9:45 am Reason: added comment on no more need for departure form
Old Mar 19, 2011, 3:40 am

MNL Terminal 1 : Lounges : CX lounge

When you enter the CX lounge you'll come across the C lounge area first. There is another doorway inside that leads to the F lounge area but amenities in both areas are pretty much the same.

The F lounge area

The small food and drink bar. They have congee, sandwiches, softdrinks, juice, beer

They have wireless internet and a computer corner with 3 terminals in the F section. There is also reading material inside the lounge.
They do not have a restroom.

Last edited by KIXman; Apr 22, 2011 at 11:58 pm Reason: added info from work2fly (tnx!!)
Old Mar 19, 2011, 3:40 am

MNL Terminal 1 : Lounges : JL lounge (along the corridor to gates 9-14)

Entrance to the JL lounge

Inside the JL lounge

Food bar. They have congee, sandwiches, softdrinks, juice, beer

They have wireless internet in here, you need a password to log in.
There's a small restroom inside the lounge.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 3:41 am

MNL Terminal 1 : Lounges : TG lounge(beside gate 9)

Entrance to the TG lounge. For some reason the lounge dragon will ask you for your *G card if you're a business class passenger on a different *A airline.

Inside the TG lounge. It's a bit dark and gloomy. The view from the window is the other side of the terminal building.

Food bar, TV and reading materials. They have rice and meat dishes, fried foods, hors d'oeuvres, sandwiches, soup, fruit, softdrinks, juice, beer and liquor.

They have wireless internet in here but the signal is flakey at times.

No rest room or shower so you have to go out if you need to visit one.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 3:41 am

MNL Terminal 1 : Lounges : New PAGSS Lounge / Old SQ lounge (beside gate 8)

The info below refers to when the lounge was for SQ.
It's now the new PAGSS Lounge. While facilities are basically the same,
please click <here> for an update on the lounge services.

Entrance to the SQ lounge. There's a F class section to the left.

The lounge area

Food bar. They have fried foods, hors d'oeuvres, sandwiches, soup, steamed buns, fruit, cakes, softdrinks, juice, beer and liquor.

Reading materials

Computer corner: they have 2 terminals in here

Lavatory (with no shower)

There is wireless internet access in here

Last edited by KIXman; Jan 2, 2015 at 10:19 am Reason: change in lounge info
Old Mar 19, 2011, 3:42 am

MNL Terminal 1 : Lounges : OZ lounge (contract lounge, beside gate 9)

Entrance to the lounge and corridor

First thing you see when you enter is the bathroom and computer corner.
The bathroom has a shower area.

Computer corner. There are 3 machines available

Going further on leads to the food area. They have noodles, rice and meat dishes, sandwiches, soup, congee, fruit, softdrinks, beer and liquor.

After the food area is the seating area. It's pretty large and bright.

There is wireless internet access here, but you need to request for a password.

Newspapers & magazines

View from the lounge.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 3:43 am

MNL Terminal 2 (Centennial Terminal) : Arrival Procedure

For some reason I don't have pictures of this process so I'll try to describe it in words as simply as possible.

Arrival at the airport terminal.

If you're unlucky, your plane will park away from the gate area and you'll have to take a bus to the terminal building. Unfortunately the bus is not a dedicated airport bus, just one of the city buses with 2-3 seating and cramped between rows. Pray that you don't get this if you have some large carryon baggage.

Otherwise, after disembarking your plane, the route to the immigration area is pretty much straightforward. You'll pass through a temperature check by infrared cameras along the way to immigration.

Lines can form at the immigration area so it's advisable to find seats to the front of the plane if you have a Y seat.

Baggage area is immediately after the immigration area, and can be chaotic at times. In the area there's a foreign exchange counter where you can change money while waiting for your bags to emerge, which can take a long time. The rates are much better if you buy from the foreign exchange counters at department stores like ShoeMart though.

After picking up your bags, hand over the customs check form to the inspector for his signature. Get back the signed customs form and head to the terminal building exit. After exiting, there will be a person who will check your bag tags. After this you will exit to the road area.

The road area has pillars marked "Bay 1", "Bay 2" etc.
You can call up people you're meeting to advise them where you are or you should arrange things with them beforehand as to where they should look for you.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 3:43 am

MNL Terminal 2 (Centennial Terminal): Departure Procedure

Before entering the airport grounds you come across a security area where the guards there will ask for the glove compartment to be opened.

The terminal building. To the right is the Domestic Terminal and to the left is the International Terminal

Before entering the terminal building you will have to show your ticket to the security for them to let you proceed.

Entrance to the terminal building. Business class passengers can enter the building via the center "Blue Zone" entrance. Similar to Terminal 1, you will need to show your passport and ticket here, and you MUST have a printed copy of your ticket/eticket or you won't be allowed in, even if you have a electronic copy on your cellphone.

After the documents check is an xray and metal detector.

Inside the terminal building

After getting your boarding pass, head for either end of the terminal building to pay the 550PHP terminal fee and enter the immigration zone.

After paying the airport tax, you can enter the immigration area.

MNL Terminal 2 (Centennial Terminal): Departure Procedure (cont'd)
Beyond the immigration booths is the bag x-ray, metal detector and pat-down. Normally only 2 detectors are manned, one for female passengers and another for male. You'll be asked to remove your belt and shoes. Laptops can stay inside the bags.

Airside. There are only a couple of food kiosks here so I advise getting something to eat before coming to the airport.

Duty free corner. They have the usual selection of liquors, chocolates and cosmetics here, plus a small selection of local goods.

Entrance to PR's Mabuhay Lounge. I haven't been inside but from what I hear it doesn't get rave reviews

2013/9/17 Edit: The lounge has been upgraded. For pics see:
http://www.choosephilippines.com/sta...abuhay-lounge/

Airside there will be an additional bag x-ray for flights to the USA

There is free wifi available throughout the airport.
ElaineWChatman likes this.

Last edited by KIXman; Feb 17, 2015 at 11:07 pm Reason: update on free wifi availability

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.