Wiki Posts
Search

Surabaya Hotel Options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Surabaya Hotel Options

Have a trip coming up to Surabaya in Feb and was wondering which hotel to stay at with while in the region. Lot of the major hotel chains seem to be there, Marriott, Starwood & Accor. Any recommendations anyone..??

cut-off would be about 140US$ per night..am the base level in most of the hotel programs and so no major loyalties at this point.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: various
Almost exactly a year ago in mid-February, I had to change Java plans on short notice and ended up in Surabaya for a couple of days. Stepping off the train from Yogya and without any advance reservation, I took a chance and taxiied over to the Mercure Surabaya and got a walk-in rate incl all tax of IDR 588,450 per night for a superior room, for each of two nights. About USD $65 in todays' currency rates. This was on Chinese New Year 2010 (also Valentines Day so F&B services were busy). I was very well pleased with the front desk and other services, and the room quality was more than great value for the money. This is the Mercure on Jalan Raya Damo--I think there is another one (Grand Mercure?) in Surabaya. I'm not sure why one would need to spend over USD$100 to be comfortable in Surabaya.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:48 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
The Sheraton is not the nicest Sharaton in Asia but it is very nice and I LOVE the location because it is directly attached to Tunjungan Plaza, huge ultra mega fantastic gigantic mall so anything and everything you could possibly want or need during down time is right outside your door.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiejie
Almost exactly a year ago in mid-February, I had to change Java plans on short notice and ended up in Surabaya for a couple of days. Stepping off the train from Yogya and without any advance reservation, I took a chance and taxiied over to the Mercure Surabaya and got a walk-in rate incl all tax of IDR 588,450 per night for a superior room, for each of two nights. About USD $65 in todays' currency rates. This was on Chinese New Year 2010 (also Valentines Day so F&B services were busy). I was very well pleased with the front desk and other services, and the room quality was more than great value for the money. This is the Mercure on Jalan Raya Damo--I think there is another one (Grand Mercure?) in Surabaya. I'm not sure why one would need to spend over USD$100 to be comfortable in Surabaya.
Was looking at some rates for Feb and some of them were turning in a little high, hence the 140 cut-off.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:31 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Sheraton or Shangri La are two of the "best" in SUB. As a previous poster noted, the Sheraton has a very good location with the adjacent mall attached. Both the Sheraton and Shangri La are old and tired but the service at both is very good. You shouldn't have to pay more than $100 USD per night equivalent to stay at either one.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Is the Marriott also at a good location in the city?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by quarryking
Is the Marriott also at a good location in the city?
Marriott is a few blocks down from Sheraton. It's a good location in that it's central. I still prefer the Sheraton for the convenience of it's direct access to Tunjungan Plaza but since taxi rides in central Surabaya aren't likely to cost you more than 10k-20k IDR it's not really that big of a deal.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 3:48 am

Haven't actually stayed here myself, but in the unlikely event of ending up in Surabaya again, I'll be here:

http://www.hotel-majapahit.com

It was founded by the same people who set up Singapore's Raffles and was until recently a Mandarin Oriental.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 5:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GB
Both the Sheraton and Shangri La are old and tired
Dont know about the Shangri-la, but the Sheraton is fine & appeared to have been refurbished. Only complaint is the main restaurant is mainly smoking except for a small section & the same apply to the club lounge.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
JW seems to be an obvious choice of the better hotel, while Fairfield and HIE look a good value for money. Sheraton and esp. 4Points are overpriced.
Gonna be around in Feb, will check JW, Fairfield and possible HIE.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
I'm staying at the JW Marriot next week. I'll let you know
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
Staying at the JW Marriott right now. The hotel is not spectacular but decent. Paid 1.1mil rupiah/night and upgraded to executive lounge level for another 600.000 rupiah. Very decent value imo especially considering the current exchange rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.