Wiki Posts
Search

flying SFO to Penang--need help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2010, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

flying SFO to Penang--need help

Hi,

Any suggestions on layovers (overnights) and deals to make the long trip between SFO and Panang easier to handle and affordable in August?

Thanks, Mars
Old Jun 20, 2010, 1:46 am

Programs: various
August is a busy time transpac in both directions, so unlikely to find great deals. You may have to connect to Asia via LAX to widen your options.
You should probably head for a consolidator or Asian travel agent to see if they can find you deals. EVA Air sometimes has good deals going, connecting via Taipei, so check their website. If you can get to Kuala Lumpur or Singapore on the primary ticket, getting to Penang is easy and not expensive.

If you can find your way at reasonable cost to HKG (great stopover city), Air Asia, a low-cost carrier, flies directly from HKG-Penang now (I think), though not every day. You'd have to book that separately online with Air Asia.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

thanks

Hello, thanks this advice is great. i had no idea it would be such a busy time.
Best,
mars
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

thanks

Hello, thank you very much. This advice is great. I had no idea it would be such a busy time.
Best,
Mars
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:10 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I think you'd be better off flying into Singapore - quite a bit cheaper than PEN
(local traffic to PEN on rail or an LCC)

try Cathay or EVA for inexpensive in the $1400. range
Old Jul 4, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Affordable will be a little tough, but there are sub-1000 fares available on a number of carriers into SIN and, perhaps, KUL.

I recently flew the opposite direction albeit on a combination of paid and award tickets. PEN-KUL MH $39.69, overnight KUL (Hilton Petaling Jaya $62.64, I took the most expensive normal way there in an ordinary taxi 64MYR from airport, 75 MYR back. You can do this trip for less than 20 MYR as outlined in the Hilton PJ thread).

KUL-SIN $71.14 MI, will be higher due to $27Sin departure tax. I found an MH fare that was comparable to AirAsia, so I booked that.

SIN-ICN-NRT-PDX on a combination of KE and DL (award ticket).

Baggage was able to be checked from KUL-PDX despite three carriers being involved. You should be able to check to whichever airport you are arriving as long as the routing is on legacy carriers (and if the layover in KUL is less than 8 hours [YMMV] on MH. 24 hours and sometimes more is the actual rule).

Therefore the advice is to look for alternative arrival airports, SIN, BKK, KUL, even HKG as they have some good intra-Asia fares which will eventually get you to PEN.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 2P, DL, FL A+ Elite, AA
I stopped in Hong Kong for a few days on my way to Penang, then flew direct on Cathay. I was in coach on Cathay, but still experienced the best customer service I've ever had. Top-notch!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.